View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars! Amazing issue!

38 55.88%
  • 4 Stars! Great, but not perfect...

19 27.94%
  • 3 Stars! Average issue.

5 7.35%
  • 2 Stars. I've read better.

6 8.82%
  • 1 Star. I hated it!

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #6 Spoilers & Discussion

Let's try to keep the conversation of the full issue out of the preview threads.

Rucka and Scott are working so much magic in the Year One story so far. I'm absolutely loving it.

Things I loved in this issue:
    • The incorporation of Barbara into Diana's origins is a great idea, and Barb is witty and confident.
    • I'm digging the use of animals as the gods rather than full-blown humanoid deities.
    • Another character from WW's 75 year history returns! Lieutenant Michaelis was in Perez's first arc and it's pretty cool to see him return.
    • More naked Steve!

Things I didn't love as much:
    • Etta Candy didn't seem as bubbly and fun as you'd expect her to be.
    • The whole Dr. Perez thing was rather cheesy in my opinion.
    • The Gods gave Diana superhuman strength? I guess that means the Amazons aren't all superhumans?

What did everyone else think?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Let's try to keep the conversation of the full issue out of the preview threads.

Rucka and Scott are working so much magic in the Year One story so far. I'm absolutely loving it.

Things I loved in this issue:
    • The incorporation of Barbara into Diana's origins is a great idea, and Barb is witty and confident.
    • I'm digging the use of animals as the gods rather than full-blown humanoid deities.
    • Another character from WW's 75 year history returns! Lieutenant Michaelis was in Perez's first arc and it's pretty cool to see him return.
    • More naked Steve!

Things I didn't love as much:
    • Etta Candy didn't seem as bubbly and fun as you'd expect her to be.
    • The whole Dr. Perez thing was rather cheesy in my opinion.
    • The Gods gave Diana superhuman strength? I guess that means the Amazons aren't all superhumans?

What did everyone else think?
    I think the Gods just gifted her with EXTRA super strength...probably flight, EXTRA speed, etc too. The Amazons seemed to be powerful already, and also, somewhat enhanced for even being able to attempt bullets and bracelets. Plus, not much harm done to them when they were shot.

Agree with everything else...but I think since Etta was at work, she may have been more subdued that she may(or may not) normally be.
    LOVE that Barbara is playing this role in the origin...almost a "Julia!"
    So far, animal Gods instead of humanoid...love it!
    Steve is definitely sexy again.
    (I kinda liked the Dr Perez nod.

This book was simply WONDER-ful. I have no other word for it. 10 out of 5 for me.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

BANNED

Dr Perez should have a protege named Jimenez

I really like how the creative team is building the secondary characters. The presence of Dr. Minerva really ties this well with The Lies story arc and makes her pivotal on Diana's story. It may not be fast, action-paced, but tells a great tale. Batman has his family and Gotham, Supermen has all the folks at Daily Planet; this arc is doing very well building WW world with characters we can care for

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

The art is just fantastic (though there was one panel of Diana that seemed a tad awkward, but only stuck out because of how amazing the rest of the comic is). Scott is one of the finest artists working today, and seeing her cut loose on Diana after ten years of planning is a pure delight (much as her stuff for Blackest Night Wondy and Simone's stuff was beautiful, this story seems to have an additional layer of care and thought behind it).

The vision of the gods and their gifts to Diana was haunting - I love this new approach, much as I miss the old laptop-Athena, and wispy scarf Aprhodite.

Rucka's handling of the emotions of Steve and Diana is masterful - I love the idea of language, and not silly (even if fun) fish-out-of-water culture clash being the big first impression. Also, I think the whole cage thing for Diana is probably very metaphorical as well as logical given the context given.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Mighty Member

I really did enjoy this issue as i am with the entire year one. Its so light and fun and colorful which is the right tone imo.

Pros:
    The way Rucka is weaving Dianas mythology together. The fact that we have Etta, Barbara, and Steve is great but the fact that Rucka is tying them all in so well to create and actual working supporting cast is magnificent. This is making a rather workable base for future stories to utilize.
    The art is gorgeous.
    I mentioned this already but I love Barbara( I'd die if she's working at Holliday College).
    Beefcake Steve

Cons:
    I dont like the way she got her powers. I do love her getting them from the gods but I don't like the idea that this isnt how all amazons operate. I think one fault of the pre-n52 was what it meant to be an amazon was confusing and that her origin did need to be streamlined so that her mythos was a bit more workable for the larger universe and future story telling possibilities.

Rucka is a really good writer and besides my one problem he's doing great work so far and im excited to see exactly whats next

Always Rakzo

As I said:

This was great stuff! Loved the character work just like the fun and charming moments. Barbara Minerva's introduction was interesting as well.

Scott completely killed here, everything was beautiful.

I am loving Year One so, so, much. Rucka's writing is on-point, Scott's art is so beautiful, and the emotion and characters are just so compelling .

Diana and Steve are so cute together .

I was expecting Year One Etta to be a little more...cheery? Though maybe we'll see more of that when she and Diana really start interacting.

Being treated like a common criminal when you've come in peace certainly isn't the best way to make a first impression, but at least they were polite to Diana while booking her. And I assume taking her fingerprints and mugshot were more for research purposes then actually arresting her, though I feel they could've found a better place to put her then a jail cell in the brig .

Pretty great introduction of Barbara into the Year One, presenting her as a smart and daring woman who's able to make a connection with Diana by being the first person to understand what she's saying. So far Rucka is doing a wonderful job of developing Barbara as a character, on both fronts, and I can see her use in Year One only serving to further the tragedy of Barbara becoming The Cheetah.

So Steve and his team were after the Sear Group before they ended up on Themyscira, and given Diana's mission from the Gods seems to be stopping Ares, it'll be interesting to see how all this ties into each other.

I really hope this isn't the last we've seen of the Invisible Jet...

Given how the Gods have been portrayed so far, I'm curious to see how Ares will be handled once he finally appears. Maybe he'll be the first God we get to see in their "true form?"

I rated the issue 4 stars. I docked one star only because I wish there was more of it.

One wonders exactly what the power levels are for the average Amazon. I mean, they moved swiftly enough to block bullets...?

The scene of the gods revealing themselves to Diana looked like something out of Disney. But I liked it.

I agree that having Barbara involved from the very first adventure is a great idea. Love or hate her, Cheetah is Diana's premier rogue to the general audience.

Umm...Steve in the buff! Okay, they're really milking this reverse of the male gaze thing. But I like it.

I'd forgotten that Michaelis was one of Perez's supporting characters. Including him is more welcome continuity.

I think the coloring is a little too pastel-y. (Is that a word?) That worked for the scenes on Themyscira, but I guess I want "Man's World" to look a little grittier.

The panel with Diana breaking out of her "cage" was awesome.
    Last edited by Largo161; 09-15-2016 at 07:00 AM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Another fan on another board pointed out that in the second issue of Perez's run, someone calls Steve a dove while looking out a window, so the scene with him looking out a window at a dove is very likely an homage. I love how many layers Rucka is putting in!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I liked the other issues of the origin. I've been critical of The Lies. But this one? This issue was amazing.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member CaptainCanada's Avatar

Withholding the gods is an interesting narrative choice so far (given the role of Ares, if nothing else, I can't imagine it will last long).

I thought putting her in a brig was a bit over the top, given that Diana was nothing but cooperative.

Oh, I do have a quibble. Why would Diana start talking to Etta as if she expects her to understand what she's saying?
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Wonderful issue, I also appreciate all the nods to past Wonder Woman runs. Interesting how Diana becomes gifted with (extra) powers...I am left wondering why but because this iteration of the gods doesn't speak, it remains a mystery. I don't mind the meandering pace of the story because it is so rich with character introduction and development and I trust Rucka to answer questions as he lets the story unfold.

Scott's artwork is gorgeous but after two issues, it seems she draws almost everyone very pretty and young looking. Almost everyone seems doe-eyed and almost Disney-fied at times....just my take, a small grumble with a book this good.
    Last edited by Dexter Plexter; 09-14-2016 at 05:27 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I rated the issue 4 stars. I docked one star only because I wish there was more of it.

One wonders exactly what the power levels are for the average Amazon. I mean, they moved swiftly enough to block bullets...?

The scene of the gods revealing themselves to Diana looked like something out of Disney. But I liked it.

I agree that having Barbara involved from the very first adventure is a great idea. Love or hater her, Cheetah is Diana's premier rogue to the general audience.

Umm...Steve in the buff! Okay, they're really milking this reverse of the male gaze thing. But I like it.

I'd forgotten that Michaelis was one of Perez's supporting characters. Including him is more welcome continuity.

I think the coloring is a little too pastel-y. (Is that a word?) That worked for the scenes on Themyscira, but I guess I want "Man's World" to look a little grittier.

The panel with Diana breaking out of her "cage" was awesome.
    I assume they are between captain america strength and spider man level strength most of the time. Diana is a the standout though as she is way above her sisters.