View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars! Amazing issue!

38 55.88%
  • 4 Stars! Great, but not perfect...

19 27.94%
  • 3 Stars! Average issue.

5 7.35%
  • 2 Stars. I've read better.

6 8.82%
  • 1 Star. I hated it!

0 0%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I thought the eagle was Zeus.
    That would seem to be the natural assumption, but there were seven animals on-panel and Diana named seven patrons who visited her and Zeus wasn't among those she mentioned.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

There are so many things I loved about this issue, from the tone set on the first page ('you don't understand a word I'm saying') to the more mythical/mystical gods as spirit animals to this wonderful new development of Barbara Minerva.

But my favorite part of the whole story so far?

Diana beat all the other Amazons in a contest fair and square, without powers, without hiding, and without going against her mother's wishes. To me, that little twist strengthens the mother/daughter bond that is all but absent in comic books, but also goes to show that Amazons are strong enough and fast enough and sharp-eyed enough to block bullets with bracelets. Diana wasn't the only one who could do it, which puts Amazons in a super-human place in the DCU, but that Diana did this *before* getting gifts from the gods proves that (a) she is a highly trained, highly skilled combatant and (b) that she won with honor, not with 'cheats' from the gods.

And, as always, Nicola's art just blows me away.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Forgot to mention that the boar is an Ares symbol as well.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Strange as it seems, the tortoise really is one of Hermes' symbols. He fashioned the first lyre from a tortoise shell.

The dove is definitely Aphrodite's bird. Ares would be a wolf or raven. Although, the dove may be Harmonia, since she's an Amazon patron this time.
    I knew about the others, but the tortoise-hermes thing is new to me. As is the mouse-hephaestus thing...

I'm almost positive the dove is Aphrodite. Diana would've listed Harmonia among the gods that visited her had she been involved.

And wasn't the snake that bit her in issue 2 Ares? Or possibly Deimos, I guess...

BANNED

Who thought it was cite how she spoke about them?

"He came as a mouse!"

And Sear Group? S E A R......Ares?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    But my favorite part of the whole story so far?

Diana beat all the other Amazons in a contest fair and square, without powers, without hiding, and without going against her mother's wishes. To me, that little twist strengthens the mother/daughter bond that is all but absent in comic books, but also goes to show that Amazons are strong enough and fast enough and sharp-eyed enough to block bullets with bracelets. Diana wasn't the only one who could do it, which puts Amazons in a super-human place in the DCU, but that Diana did this *before* getting gifts from the gods proves that (a) she is a highly trained, highly skilled combatant and (b) that she won with honor, not with 'cheats' from the gods.
    This. YES! This solves the issue that Loebs tried to address in the 90s with Zero Hour, when he made the change that Hippolyte had a spell cast on the main island so that Diana's powers were nullified and she "...might grow up as an ordinary child." And the issue Mishkin tried to address in the 80s when Sofia goes off on Diana about the "unfairness" of any competition with super-powered Diana, and Hippolyte interrupts and says that the point is for all amazons to strive to be their best, regardless of unequal gifts.

But this solution - having Diana get her powers after arriving outside - is so much more eloquent. The Amazons are all much stronger and faster than an ordinary mortal, and Diana is the best of them. And the extra power comes later. The more I think about it, the more I love it.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Another great issue. Loved all the comic relief with Diana and Steve not knowing what each other is saying. Enjoyed the gods coming to Diana as animals. Kinda reminded me of Snow White in a weird way. Nicola Scott's art is absolutely gorgeous as usual and Rucka just gets women so well in his writing. Just so good. Love how even thought there are two story lines going, that they do seem to be carefully woven into each other. I dig it.

I thought mice were Apollo's sacred animals, yet Diana mentions Hephaestus instead? Weird.

Enjoyable issue, I really like Barbara playing a part in this and can't wait to see more of her in issue #8.

Not sure what to think about Diana getting her powers until she's out in man's world. And in a jail cell? I'll wait and see where Rucka goes with this...

My only disappointment continues to be Etta. She just doesn't have the personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    This. YES! This solves the issue that Loebs tried to address in the 90s with Zero Hour, when he made the change that Hippolyte had a spell cast on the main island so that Diana's powers were nullified and she "...might grow up as an ordinary child." And the issue Mishkin tried to address in the 80s when Sofia goes off on Diana about the "unfairness" of any competition with super-powered Diana, and Hippolyte interrupts and says that the point is for all amazons to strive to be their best, regardless of unequal gifts.

But this solution - having Diana get her powers after arriving outside - is so much more eloquent. The Amazons are all much stronger and faster than an ordinary mortal, and Diana is the best of them. And the extra power comes later. The more I think about it, the more I love it.
    This is one of my favoritest additions to the Amazon mythology from Mr. Mishkin. I believe Busiek reintroduced it to the modern interpretation with the TRINITY series (the weekly one, not that . . . thing from Wagner).

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

LOVED this issue overall. Young Barbara Minerva is totes hawt, and she was totally checking out both Steve and Diana, I don't care what anyone says ("Ah, you're Steve Trevor" *takes off glasses and eyes him*; *to Diana* "Well don't you just go all the way to the top."). I'm guessing #8 is where we see her get her leg injury? I wonder of Dr. Leavens will be making an appearance there too. Her lecturing at the college makes her seem more warm and human than the creepily driven woman of the Perez years, but she still has a touch of arrogance here, like sneering at the mention of Dr. Perez.

I like the plot thread of Steve and his goddaughter. I imagine that's going to pay off in the present day. Maybe Steve will even become the legal guardian of a 10 year old girl should something happen to her mother.

I like the Gods visiting in the forms of the animals sacred to them. Much more impactful than having them appear in their full glory every five minutes to tell Diana what to do. Diana getting her powers AFTER the Contest also solves one of my major problems with that aspect of the origin, as now she's on equal footing with the rest of the Amazons and earns her title. But if she doesn't have superhuman strength until now, is she still the daughter of Zeus? If she a clay figure brought to life? Or is her dad just a normal mortal man we haven't met yet (my preferred option, really)? So many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    And Sear Group? S E A R......Ares?
    If they're some sort of terrorist group that Ares is behind, I will consider it a major missed opportunity not having Paula von Gunther as one of its prominent members.

Actually, I have to wonder if they're connected to Godwatch in some way. The cover to the next proper Year One issues (not the interlude with Minerva) seems to indicate Godwatch will be making an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    My only disappointment continues to be Etta. She just doesn't have the personality.
    This is an area where I'd give Morrison and Deliz the edge. I can't say I dislike Rucka's Etta by any means, but I'm not blown away by her either. She seems to lose a bit of something if she isn't the sassy leader of the Holliday Girls.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    But if she doesn't have superhuman strength until now, is she still the daughter of Zeus?
    In Greek mythology, a lot of the children of one mortal parent and one divine parent have no apparent superhuman abilities, although they are often "heroes." (That is actually the original definition of the word "hero.") Theseus is one of the many examples. It's even more common when the child is a daughter, although that probably reflects the Greek view of gender - very few of the women are going to go out and become heroes.

On the other hand, some are out-and-out gods, like Dionysus - although that may be related to the bizarre circumstances of his birth. So it's kind of on a case-by-case basis.

DC, of course, can handle this any way they want in their universe.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

And Rucka delivered once again.

I spoken to Liam and he said everything from Diana's including the new 52 will all Blyden's together as 1

It was pretty cute, though not much really happened. The Cheetah stuff makes me want to read the next chapter.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut