View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars! Amazing issue!

38 55.88%
  • 4 Stars! Great, but not perfect...

19 27.94%
  • 3 Stars! Average issue.

5 7.35%
  • 2 Stars. I've read better.

6 8.82%
  • 1 Star. I hated it!

0 0%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Eh, well I would like to think that founding Diana's mission in the world is the prime reason we are getting this story, not just doing the rounds regarding who her friends are.

There are less clunky ways of having focus than how this part of the story is going. I mean ideally Diana's character and all of her support pieces should come into this naturally... not have all of that come rushing in first then pretend there's another story that might matter or not afterwards. Compare this to how Perez told it: Diana gets a divine mission while on Paradise, she is visited by the Gods there and she is ready when Steve goes into a tailspin, then we get the story of Ares getting dangerously close to triumph and it's Diana's mission to stop it, picking up friends, allies and enemies along the way.

Reaching over from another thread, the stuff above is part of the reason I favor the Sharp/Jungle story over the Scott/YO story... Jungle has better pacing, structure and plot. Scott's art is very pretty... but thats kinda the only reason I am reading this bit.
    Actually I found the jungle pacing quite slow last issue.

The big difference between Perez and Rucka seems to be its not all laid out before us this time. Rather than a half issue of this is the history of the Amazons and what Ares is up to, we are putting it together as we go.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Fantastic Member

I don't remember there ever being an origin story of WW that actually shows her getting her "gifts from the gods" except for the recent "Legend of Wonder Woman," where a long explanation from Gaea is followed by Gaea awakening Diana's innate power. In that series, Diana's powers do not come from the gods but from Gaea herself. Even so, that is a very recent origin.

My recollection is that in the Perez version, Diana is born with her powers. She is never visited by the gods to get them. As I mention in my note above, this whole thing with Diana going out into the world and then getting her powers seems to be a recent development. I am not a WW scholar, so I don't know how Marston portrayed this, but my sense is that he also had Diana born with her superhuman abilities, as part of the whole "made out of clay" thing.

In looking at the synopsis for the WW movie, it also suggests that Diana will "discover her true power" while in man's world. So, again, I wonder if this recent spate of slightly-altered origin story has something to do with the upcoming movie.

As far as Diana getting her "visitation from the gods" in prison - well, actually, there is a long tradition of people being visited by God, or achieving enlightenment, while in prison. I'm absolutely OK with Rucka not showing us Diana's conversation with the gods or their giving her "gifts" - I agree with Brett on this - what could be shown or said that would not detract from the sense of mystery and awe? I think that Rucka handled this just right - Diana excitedly tells what happened to her then demonstrates (inadvertently) that her story is true.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Rucka has explicitly said that the movies have no influence on what he's writing. The costume is from the movie (except for heels), but nothing else, at least according to his statements.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Actually I found the jungle pacing quite slow last issue.

The big difference between Perez and Rucka seems to be its not all laid out before us this time. Rather than a half issue of this is the history of the Amazons and what Ares is up to, we are putting it together as we go.
    Slow yes... but atleast stuff actually happened in it I mean the one thing this issue did was grant Diana powers, and they skipped over it, the rest of it was basically pencil-pushers trying to dissect her.

And thats fair enough... I just wish Rucka would give us a hint or two that there actually is something going on besides what we see happening to Diana. Like just a single page or panel at the front or back of the book would be enough. Since I think we would all be more than a little dissapointed if we have these 6 issues and Diana finally confronts Ares... who is in a bar, drunk of Jack Daniels and no plans besides keeping the drinks comming. :

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    My recollection is that in the Perez version, Diana is born with her powers. She is never visited by the gods to get them. As I mention in my note above, this whole thing with Diana going out into the world and then getting her powers seems to be a recent development. I am not a WW scholar, so I don't know how Marston portrayed this, but my sense is that he also had Diana born with her superhuman abilities, as part of the whole "made out of clay" thing.

In looking at the synopsis for the WW movie, it also suggests that Diana will "discover her true power" while in man's world. So, again, I wonder if this recent spate of slightly-altered origin story has something to do with the upcoming movie.
    While off-topic, this is true, Diana was born with her gifts, but the signal that her mission was blessed by Olympus was clear from the start. Diana mentions it when she unmasks in the area and it's futher underlined when she meets Hermes in person to recieve the Lasso.

That is very likely since Diane Nelsons intention to make the comics, tv shows and movies be more in synch with one another still remains in place... atleast I haven't heard of it being changed.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    I don't remember there ever being an origin story of WW that actually shows her getting her "gifts from the gods" except for the recent "Legend of Wonder Woman," where a long explanation from Gaea is followed by Gaea awakening Diana's innate power. In that series, Diana's powers do not come from the gods but from Gaea herself. Even so, that is a very recent origin.
    Ish. Marston explained the Amazons all were superhuman because of Amazon Training, with Diana just being the very best at it. There was a retelling of the origin by Kanigher that ripped off a scene out of Sleeping Beauty -- the gods visiting her as a baby with their gifts. Perez had the gods present at the Womb of Gaea, where Diana's soul resided before birth, sending her to be born with their gifts.

Oh nuts! I guess I should read more carefully. I thought this poll was for issue #7 and I only gave it two stars when I actually would have given it 5! Can I take my vote back?!?!