Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by silence. View Post
    I would like to see a bit more about what a teenage boy from the 50's feelings about his sexuality and likely internalised homophobia..
    Is he a teenage boy from the '50's? I'm a little unclear on the timeline....
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

out of curiousity, have they ever introduced two gay characters who weren't attracted to one another? or they simply didn't like the personality of the other person?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Is he a teenage boy from the '50's? I'm a little unclear on the timeline....
    No he's a teenage boy from the early 2000's because of sliding timescale. If the O5 were actually from the 60's then all of the original X-Men would be in their mid to late 60's. The only X-Men that remain tied to their original given lifetimes despite sliding timescale are Magneto because he's been rejuvenated and Wolverine because of his healing factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    out of curiousity, have they ever introduced two gay characters who weren't attracted to one another? or they simply didn't like the personality of the other person?
    Vivisector and Phat from Alldred's X-Force decided they weren't really compatible. Shatterstar tried flirting with Northstar pre-wedding, but Northstar said he wasn't his type.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    The more i think about this the more it feels like Bobbi seems like a sheep being led to a slaughter house. He was told what he is by a telepath and now he has the hots for someone who has influence over other the ppl's emotion. What is real and what is fake about Bobbi's emotion at this point?
    Bobby Drake is not a real person.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Vivisector and Phat from Alldred's X-Force decided they weren't really compatible. Shatterstar tried flirting with Northstar pre-wedding, but Northstar said he wasn't his type.
    From the top of my head: Anole and Graymalkin were just friends. Wiccan or Hulking weren't attracted to Noh-Varr and vice-versa despite Noh-Varr being open to being with men. Ditto Prodigy and most of Gillen's YA dudes.

I recall seeing something from DC doing that where one of them pointed out to their teammate that suggested that they hook up that just because 2 people are gay doesn't mean that they're gonna be attracted to each other.

Amazing Member

I liked this issue because I think Hopeless was successful in writing good dialogues about self acceptance without a silly speech (do you learn how to make, Bendis?). But yes, many dialogues, less action and inhumans doing mutants look bad is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I recall seeing something from DC doing that where one of them pointed out to their teammate that suggested that they hook up that just because 2 people are gay doesn't mean that they're gonna be attracted to each other.
    There was a similar scene between Karma and Dani regarding Luna the barrista back in the Weir& DeFillipis New Mutants run.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

this would require marvel to have a diverse range of gay characters, theres like 5 and 2 of them are the same person from different timelines :P

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    this would require marvel to have a diverse range of gay characters, theres like 5 and 2 of them are the same person from different timelines :P
    More like that would require Marvel to remember that they actually have a range of gay and bisexual characters that for some reason they refuse to acknowledge.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Emma made jokes about Bobby and said his true love was interior decorating. When Karima, Lady Mastermind, and Iceman went on a mission in disguise, Lady Mastermind got women disguises for everyone. Iceman protested and said why didn't they get him a male disguise and Lady Mastermind said, "If God couldn't make you a man, what makes you think I could?" So clearly those two telepaths did pick upon him being gay, and Xavier did not suppress his thoughts. Adult Jean just didn't want to meddle in his personal life.

Adult Iceman had one lover who could assume male form (Mystique) and one lover that could be either male or female (Cloud). It was also said that the first time he dated Lorna Dane (before she left him for Havok) that they had never had sex. Writers had been deliberately leaving hints about Iceman for years, but it wasn't until Bendis came along that editorial approved an actual Iceman is gay storyline.
    I'm not gay so how does the interior decorating statement equate to him being gay. I always took it has her taking a shot at him not using his abilities to their full potential and instead using it do make ice sculpters and covering rooms with ice constructs. The Lady Mastermind quote doesn't indicate she picked up on anything. Sounds more like she was insulting him. Since when did GAY MEN not qualify as men.

You know how many men have slept with Mystique? Are they gay also? Several times Bobby expressed he was uncomfortable with Clouds physical transformations.

I see more evidence of him being straight than gay.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    I'm not gay so how does the interior decorating statement equate to him being gay. I always took it has her taking a shot at him not using his abilities to their full potential and instead using it do make ice sculpters and covering rooms with ice constructs. The Lady Mastermind quote doesn't indicate she picked up on anything. Sounds more like she was insulting him. Since when did GAY MEN not qualify as men.

You know how many men have slept with Mystique? Are they gay also? Several times Bobby expressed he was uncomfortable with Clouds physical transformations.

Prejudices against gay men have always and continue to include emasculating them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post

Gay men are stereotyped as being feminine and therefore disproportionately into interior decorating. To a degree this is true (not all gay men, but I've met a number of gay interior decorators). Lady Mastermind calling Bobby not a man also means she's implying he's gay, because as another poster said when people tell demeaning jokes about gays they often refer to them as feminine or even female.

So you have two instances in which two telepaths called Bobby gay. Jean wasn't the first, but she was the only one to reach out to him and help.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Gay men are stereotyped as being feminine and therefore disproportionately into interior decorating. To a degree this is true (not all gay men, but I've met a number of gay interior decorators). Lady Mastermind calling Bobby not a man also means she's implying he's gay, because as another poster said when people tell demeaning jokes about gays they often refer to them as feminine or even female.

So you have two instances in which two telepaths called Bobby gay. Jean wasn't the first, but she was the only one to reach out to him and help.
    Problem is that you also have to take context into account there. With Emma's comment, it had occurred after a scene where he had literally frozen the room is that they were in ergo interior decorator. And while gays have been stereotyped as being emasculate, it isn't something that's strictly utilized for them as implying that a guy is any less of a man is an insult that's old as time.