Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    No one's gonna watch that video.
    Clearly some have watch some of it. What did they find to be so wrong that they had to turn it off after five minutes?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Clearly some have watch some of it. What did they find to be so wrong that they had to turn it off after five minutes?
    That it was mostly just five minutes of bitching. The one guy that watched it out of curiosity and the other guy that watched it to prove you wrong agree. They said this themselves already.

I'm guessing it's less that and more the prospect of watching an hour and half of someone complaining about a video game that's the deal breaker.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    As I already said, he doesn't get to what he likes until almost 4 minutes. You're describing it like the first 5 minutes aren't complaints when the majority of it is. Just because he's doing it through criticizing reviews doesn't mean it's a positive. And yeah, I have no doubt it gets more severe after he's done with his little "here's the things I liked" minute or two. But that doesn't change the fact that the majority of that first 5 minutes was "bitching," and Mike summarizing it as such shouldn't really strike you as "funny" when it's an accurate description. It may pale in comparison to what comes after those 5 minutes, but it's still mostly him ranting/complaining.
    As I already said, that doesn't matter. I didn't say he talked for five minutes about how good it was. I said he doesn't bitch about in the first five minutes, I said the first five minutes are made up of him talking about reviews of the game and things he liked. I specifically said:

Too be clear, because I'm bored and started watching the video again, the first five minutes are this:

- Talking about how dumb reviews for the game were at the time. Pointing out things like a reviewer calling the game deep and involving over footage of him shooting his ally in the face, or playing a bit of a review where the reviewer calls the terrible stupid ending that makes no sense at all awesome.

- Talking about things he actually LIKES about the game. But also points out that the AI is terrible - shows things like an enemy running around a corner into gunfire right after an enemy was just killed, and an enemy killing themself by punching the player who's blocking with some bladed weapon; made funnier as the enemy is telling the player who isn't moving (or really doing anything) to stop moving around.

It should strike someone that's actually watch the first five minutes of the video as funny given the first five minutes aren't really much about the game. Talking about how stupid some of the reviews for a game are isn't really getting into bitching about the game. Pointing out that a video review talks about the games complex morality system over footage of a town going berserk to kill the player because he picked a spoon up does a few things, one it kind of lets you in on how terrible reviews for the game were on release, two it's just funny. It's a funny juxtaposition. Now, I know, maybe some people watch the video and are like: What the hell, that is a complex moral choice, why is he shitting on this game I love, I must stop watching this right now. But he isn't really bitching about the game there, more bitching about how crazy, terrible, and misrepresentative of the game some reviews were. You said you watched like the first three minutes? Like the only bad thing he says about it in the first three minutes is that the ending is bad, (which he beings up because the reviewer said it was good for some reason) and the ending it bad, it's objectively bad, it literally makes no sense at all. The ending is just sending you into a room to kill you...even if you have the character with you that did this exact same thing earlier in the game. In my playthrough of Fallout 3 I literally did it right before the ending. The game that's seeming all about choice giving you an ending in which it takes choice from you, even if you clearly have ways of getting around it, just so it can give you a simple good or bad ending, that's bad.

BANNED

That it was mostly just five minutes of bitching. The one guy that watched it out of curiosity and the other guy that watched it to prove you wrong agree. They said this themselves already.
    Only it's not that. But the question would be what of what they watched made them stop? What was the bitching that they couldn't take? What point that came up were they were like: This person is just bitching. They must have disagreed with some point if they just couldn't take it anymore and had to stop watching. Maybe MikeP really hates the game, because he had to stop when the person that made the video started talking about what they liked: It was when he started talking about storytelling in Fallout 3 that he really enjoyed through object placement in the world that I knew I had, had enough bitching from that video.

BANNED

You made this video, didn't you? I can't imagine any other reason why anyone would care so much.

Anyway, this is a distraction from the broader point, that Fallout 3 is not garbage, and is actually a really great game, one of the best of its generation. Its 91 Metacritic score (93 on Xbox 360) is well-deserved. So many games have copied its FPS/RPG hybridization. Some have done it better, but that's progress for you.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 09-19-2016 at 10:04 PM.

BANNED

You made this video, didn't you? I can't imagine any other reason why anyone would care so much.
    You got me, you should look at the Ghostbuster video I did. Although I strangely look and sound nothing like myself in that video...or this Fallout 3 video, that's weird. Maybe I didn't make the video?

Forums are kind of meant to be places where people have discussions about things, so it would be interesting to get a little insight into what it was within the five minutes MikeP thought was just bitching about the game, especially since his dislike for it was to the point he could no long watch it. That there isn't even much bad said about the game within the first five minutes is really what has me interested.

Anyway, this is a distraction from the broader point, that Fallout 3 is not garbage, and is actually a really great game, one of the best of its generation. Its 91 Metacritic score (93 on Xbox 360) is well-deserved. So many games have copied its FPS/RPG hybridization. Some have done it better, but that's progress for you.
    Yeah, the bug ridden mess of a FPS with shooting mechanics so bad it's got a system that gives you free shots is one of the greets bestest games of the whole generation it was released in. Gaming critics were totally on the ball with Fallout 3, just watch that video to see the incredible journalism going on when it came to Fallout 3: This game is full of choices, I can shot my ally in the face, or I can not shot him in the face. The game doesn't even do one thing it sets out to do well. The FPS stuff (which is what you'll be doing most of the time) isn't good. The RPG stuff isn't good. The exploration isn't good. The storytelling isn't good. The characters aren't good. The damage model stuff isnt good. It's not visually a good game, the character models are some of the ugliest of that generation. The game can't even rip things off for the first two Fallout games will, and it tries to do that quite a bit.

What other games copied the specific gameplay of Fallout 3? Sequels to Fallout 3 don't count towards this. Elder Scrolls games also don't count towards this. I'm pretty sure the sum total of those many games is zero.

BANNED

You got me, you should look at the Ghostbuster video I did. Although I strangely look and sound nothing like myself in that video...or this Fallout 3 video, that's weird. Maybe I didn't make the video?

Forums are kind of meant to be places where people have discussions about things, so it would be interesting to get a little insight into what it was within the five minutes MikeP thought was just bitching about the game, especially since his dislike for it was to the point he could no long watch it. That there isn't even much bad said about the game within the first five minutes is really what has me interested.

Yeah, the bug ridden mess of a FPS with shooting mechanics so bad it's got a system that gives you free shots is one of the greets bestest games of the whole generation it was released in. Gaming critics were totally on the ball with Fallout 3, just watch that video to see the incredible journalism going on when it came to Fallout 3: This game is full of choices, I can shot my ally in the face, or I can not shot him in the face. The game doesn't even do one thing it sets out to do well. The FPS stuff (which is what you'll be doing most of the time) isn't good. The RPG stuff isn't good. The exploration isn't good. The storytelling isn't good. The characters aren't good. The damage model stuff isnt good. It's not visually a good game, the character models are some of the ugliest of that generation. The game can't even rip things off for the first two Fallout games will, and it tries to do that quite a bit.

What other games copied the specific gameplay of Fallout 3? Sequels to Fallout 3 don't count towards this. Elder Scrolls games also don't count towards this. I'm pretty sure the sum total of those many games is zero.
    Saying something "isn't good" isn't really criticism. Another person can just say "yes it is good" and you're at a stalemate.

So, yes, it is good. Do you know that Fallout 3 (PC and Xbox) has no negative Metacritic reviews? It's true. It won multiple awards including six game of the year awards for the year it came out. It ranks on best games of all time lists. It sold about 13 million units. Methinks you're just a bitter outlier who can't accept a Fallout game in a different style, like the No Mutants Allowed complainers.

Only it's not that. But the question would be what of what they watched made them stop? What was the bitching that they couldn't take? What point that came up were they were like: This person is just bitching. They must have disagreed with some point if they just couldn't take it anymore and had to stop watching. Maybe MikeP really hates the game, because he had to stop when the person that made the video started talking about what they liked: It was when he started talking about storytelling in Fallout 3 that he really enjoyed through object placement in the world that I knew I had, had enough bitching from that video.
    If you need an actual example, when someone arrogantly proclaims something to the effect of "If you think the ending is good, you're wrong, you didn't like it, shut up," I'm not too keen on punishing myself for another hour and twenty-something minutes. And it's been so long since I've played it that I don't remember the ending, I'm not even coming at it from an "I liked it, how dare you...!" angle.

You said you watched this twice? Yikes. You sound like you're a little too invested in your hatred of the game. That's the only sort of person I can imagine being interested in watching that "nice little video."
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-20-2016 at 01:38 PM.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

BANNED

If you need an actual example, when someone arrogantly proclaims something to the effect of "If you think the ending is good, you're wrong, you didn't like it, shut up," I'm not too keen on punishing myself for another hour and twenty-something minutes. And it's been so long since I've played it that I don't remember the ending, I'm not even coming at it from an "I liked it, how dare you...!" angle.

You said you watched this twice? Yikes. You sound like you're a little too invested in your hatred of the game. That's the only sort of person I can imagine being interested in watching that "nice little video."
    There was a logical problem with the ending but, you know, they patched it. By the time I played it you could send a rad resistant follower in there to do the dirtywork and survive just fine.

BANNED

There was a logical problem with the ending but, you know, they patched it. By the time I played it you could send a rad resistant follower in there to do the dirtywork and survive just fine.
    Game still gives you crap about being a coward for doing that though.
    It's a bit of a very brief, two seconds long sour note in an otherwise very excellent game.

I just can't understand that mentality. I mean, I can't stand Pokemon, and I secretly suspect people who love Dark Souls are masochists, but hey, they love the games, and I'm happy for them. I prefer to spend my energies playing games I like and discussing THEM with fans.
    Life is but a dream

BANNED

You mean a humorous moment? An over-exaggeration for humorous effect about something that is objectively bad was the step too far? Well, ok I guess.

Going just off what you said there, it kind of does sound like you're coming at it from that angle. Maybe not about the ending of the game specifically, but about liking the game in general. I mean, you're talking about them going too far about an aspect of the game you don't even remember.

Yeah, I watched an entertaining video more than once. People watch good things more than once all the time.

You could send someone in to die for you before. It was the bad ending. The good ending was going in yourself to die. The problem with the ending is it forces you into one of two very stupid choices even if you have ways around it...and this is a game that's meant to be about choice. The game is so badly designed that you know you have a way around it because earlier in the game you're faced with this exact situation, and your Super Mutant ally will do it for you specifically so you won't die. Only in the ending if you do have your Super Mutant pal with you, for some bizarre reason he won't go in, some stupid bs about how it being your destiny to go in and die to press a button and he would never take that from you...even though he did it for you once before. It's like someone working on Fallout 3 was like: Oh shit, there's a third way around our stupid ending standing right over there, someone write some stupid handwavey dialogue real quick. You should also just be able to take a bunch of Rad-X and use the Advanced Radiation Suit to not die, because you can also do that in the room the Super Mutant goes into as well.

The thing Conn Seanery is talking about there in the video is something that comes up when talking about how terrible reviews for the game at the time of release. One of the reviews he's looking at is talking about how great the ending of the game is, the thing everyone hated, and the developers patched out of the game because it was so stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I just can't understand that mentality. I mean, I can't stand Pokemon, and I secretly suspect people who love Dark Souls are masochists, but hey, they love the games, and I'm happy for them. I prefer to spend my energies playing games I like and discussing THEM with fans.
    People like Dark Souls because it's a fantastic video game. Mechanically it's one of the best hack and slash games ever made. Unlike, say, an Elder Scrolls game, Dark Souls actually has good gameplay, and that's where the fun and enjoyment of playing the game comes from. Dark Souls isn't some punishingly hard game either, even if that's how the marketing started selling the game. It just isn't some mindless game where you don't have to pay any attention to things that are happening.

BANNED

Saying something "isn't good" isn't really criticism. Another person can just say "yes it is good" and you're at a stalemate.

So, yes, it is good. Do you know that Fallout 3 (PC and Xbox) has no negative Metacritic reviews? It's true. It won multiple awards including six game of the year awards for the year it came out. It ranks on best games of all time lists. It sold about 13 million units. Methinks you're just a bitter outlier who can't accept a Fallout game in a different style, like the No Mutants Allowed complainers.

Name the things Fallout 3 does well. It sure isn't the gameplay, since the combat mechanics are completely awful and the enemy AI is so stupid they present no real challenge at all. It's not the worldbuilding. It's not the writing. It's not the storytelling. It's not exploration, because there really isn't any since the objective markers tell you exactly were to go for everything. It's not the game's presentation, since it's so ugly. It's not characters, because it doesn't have any interesting ones from both a writing and a design standpoint. What are these things in the game that make it, what did laughably call it, one of the best games of its generation? It should at least be doing something really good if we're going to be slapping that label on it.

Before you were saying games have copied Fallout 3, what are they? You said there were many of them, but I can't think of one. Can you not think on one either, is that why you seemingly dropped that train of thought on it being good or somethings?

If the new style was actually good, I wouldn't really give much of a shit. If this FPS Fallout was even kind of a good FPS, that would have been great. I like FPS games quite a bit. I'm going to let you in on a little secret, back in '98, after playing Outwars, I was like: I could go for a third person shooter Fallout, I'd love to see all those description text things actually play out in full 3D in real-time. You know what's odd, games actually have the power now to render out all that descriptor text stuff, but none of the 3D Fallout games do that. Forget cool little weird things like growing an extra toe because of radiation, they can't even be bother to do the combat ones; which is actually kind of weird since combat is the focus of the new ones, and that would only make the visuals of the combat look more interesting. Half of what seems to be the fun of Fallout 3 (and 4) are these stupid death animations that are just terrible in a unintentionally funny way. Not only are they completely stupid looking, they aren't even half as interesting as the combat description stuff from the old games, or as cool looking as the different death animations the 2D games had. I mean, I guess you could say it would be hard to do cool stuff like that in 3D, so the laughably bad shit Fallout 3 does is ok for reasons; but then it's like, wait, Soldier of Fortune 1 and 2 were doing better stuff back in 2000 & 2002. Those Soldier of Forute games are also just all around better first person shooters, with better controls and better enemy AI. Enemy AI seemingly not even really being a thing that Fallout 3 has.

No negative Metacritic reviews? It sounds like you're trying to say video game reviewers don't know jack about video games. I mean, how on Earth could an ugly buggy FPS with some of the worst gameplay of any major FPS not have one bad review? Doesn't it strike you as odd that something so mediocre wouldn't have one bad review? Can you imagine some other random shitty looking FPS that plays as badly as Fallout 3 reviewing so well? A look at some of those reviews are like god damn crazy town, it makes you wonder if any of the reviewers have actually played a game that does anything Fallout 3 tries it's hand at. Most of the "fun" of the game I'd say comes from how bad it is, and it being funny. Like, it's "fun" (funny) abusing the VATS melee system to teleport across rooms to punch stuff. It's "fun" when the dead bodies start dancing around the room because the game is a huge mess.

BANNED

You mean a humorous
    I have heard if these. Aren't they supposed to be funny?

You could send someone in to die for you before. It was the bad ending. The good ending was going in yourself to die. The problem with the ending is it forces you into one of two very stupid choices even if you have ways around it...and this is a game that's meant to be about choice. The game is so badly designed that you know you have a way around it because earlier in the game you're faced with this exact situation, and your Super Mutant ally will do it for you specifically so you won't die. Only in the ending if you do have your Super Mutant pal with you, for some bizarre reason he won't go in, some stupid bs about how it being your destiny to go in and die to press a button and he would never take that from you...even though he did it for you once before. It's like someone working on Fallout 3 was like: Oh shit, there's a third way around our stupid ending standing right over there, someone write some stupid handwavey dialogue real quick. You should also just be able to take a bunch of Rad-X and use the Advanced Radiation Suit to not die, because you can also do that in the room the Super Mutant goes into as well.
    Dude, you totally can send in the Super Mutant in the ending. They fixed that ages ago.

The thing Conn Seanery is talking about there in the video is something that comes up when talking about how terrible reviews for the game at the time of release. One of the reviews he's looking at is talking about how great the ending of the game is, the thing everyone hated, and the developers patched out of the game because it was so stupid.
    Well, obviously not everyone hated it. You are not the world.

People like Dark Souls because it's a fantastic video game.
    SOME people like Dark Souls. I personally do not see the attraction.