All-New Member

Default Is this series worth getting into?

I have a coworker that is willing to sell me Green Arrow (1989) series for about $150 for about 85% of them. I watch the tv series of Arrow and I enjoyed the first two seasons.

Mighty Member

Not really familiar with that series, but if you're a fan of the show the Lemire Green Arrow run would probably be right up your alley. And it's available in a single deluxe hc.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Well, it's not an easy to get series but I'd look on Mycomicshop.com to see how much the issues he doesn't sell are worth. Also, the whole series is currently being collected in trade paperbacks but there's no seeing if/when the series will be completed. It's basically what you prefer. It's an amazing series though, I truly recommend reading it
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Mike Grell's Green Arrow run (the series you describe) is the definitive run on the series. Everything else sprang from that (which took its cues from O'Neil & Adams). It's not exactly like the tv series; but shares many of the elements. It's hard-hitting, with Ollie taking on nasty characters; but, few super-villains. There are good mysteries, some thematic issues, and great character pieces. Ed Hanigan's art is outstanding, with Grell doing some covers. Mike Gold knew how to edit Grell (let him do his thing; but, nudge him to do his best work). $150 is a pretty decent price, depending on the condition. They retailed for between $1.00 and 1.25, new. For any condition above "good" that's a more than fair price. Grell's run was about 80 issues; so, yeah, if you are getting the bulk of that, it's worth it. if you are getting more of the later stuff and less Grell, then I would bargain a bit more.

If it is mostly the Grell stuff it is a great run, he does a great job with the character. I agree with the poster above if it mainly Grell's run you will be getting some good stuff. You may also have to grab Longbow Hunter it was a 3 issue mini-series by Grell, after he did those he got the job doing the Green Arrow ongoing.