Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default August direct Market sales: Marvel has only one series in the top 10

Once again Dc dominate the market sales in August. The only series in the top 10 is Amazing Spider-man (#4). Do you think that Marvel now 2.0 could reignite interest for the Marvel universe ?
    Personnaly, before Secret Wars I read almost all the Marvel series, now beside Vison and Moon Knight I don't buy anything. And when I see the announcements (Monster United, Solo, a new clone saga, a new Iron-(wo)man who come from nowhere...) I'm not very optimistic...

http://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-rebirth...-market-sales/

I think some of what Marvel's putting out looks interesting, tbh. But here's what else I notice when looking at Marvel's offerings: They're expensive. They'll probably be derailed by the next semi-annual event. They don't star any characters I'm already invested in. Other publishers are putting out content of equal interest that's less expensive, better informed, or lacks the company-owned pitfalls.

It's not that I won't pick up new Marvel stuff, they just have to work harder to get my money now than when I was teenager.

Wait for Marvel NOW! 2016. Marvel will outsell DC better than DC is outselling Marvel currently.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

DC just finally caught a break with Marvel not having any relaunches. 5 of those DC titles were #1 issues and Harley Quinn double shipped with a #2. You'll see the same thing when Marvel's #1s come out in October. Apparently the Suicide Squad movie can be credited for some of that sales surge too.

Having said that, I suspect Marvel's NOW titles will struggle against DC's Rebirth. It seems new characters rarely get the old time fan base ignited
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-16-2016 at 09:04 AM.

Marvel will get another sales bump when they launch the next statue quo with a new batch of issue 1's. That's how it always works.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Once again Dc dominate the market sales in August. The only series in the top 10 is Amazing Spider-man (#4). Do you think that Marvel now 2.0 could reignite interest for the Marvel universe ?
    Personnaly, before Secret Wars I read almost all the Marvel series, now beside Vison and Moon Knight I don't buy anything. And when I see the announcements (Monster United, Solo, a new clone saga, a new Iron-(wo)man who come from nowhere...) I'm not very optimistic...

http://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-rebirth...-market-sales/
    I love how DC has trailed Marvel - often by double digits - sometimes for as long as a year or more at a time but they rebound with a line-wide reboot and suddenly some people want to act as if Marvel is now in some sales hole they may never crawl out of.

Marvel's sales in August were fine - it's not as though their line plunged - it's just a matter of DC having better sales. And they should have - Rebirth is still releasing major new titles like All-Star Batman and a new Harlequin book. On the other side of that, Marvel had no big #1s in August, no new Civil War due to delays and also no Darth Vader finale also due to delays. There was no way Marvel was going to top DC's sales in August.

Do people have such short memories that they've forgotten how DC dominated the market when New52 launched? Marvel doesn't have to be #1 every month in order to not be in trouble. If being #2 every now and then was a death sentence for a comic company, DC would've expired years ago. So don't worry about Marvel - they'll be ok.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Wait for Marvel NOW! 2016. Marvel will outsell DC better than DC is outselling Marvel currently.
    I wish, but I don't see a lot of hype for the moment. I don't read Dc beside Batman, but all my friend who were Marvel fans are reading exclusively Dc, now. And frankly there is nothing very exciting in this new Marvel Now for me: the only new titles who seem to have sale potential are Champions and Riri Iron-man (because it's the only people that people are talking, even if it's for bad reasons). And the only titles who interest me are Infamous Iron man and the return of Thor Odinson. But it's not a big interest, it's just curiosity ! I really don't see nothing new in this Marvel now, it just seem to be the same editorial mistakes and the same boring new marvel writing.

Do people have such short memories that they've forgotten how DC dominated the market when New52 launched? Marvel doesn't have to be #1 every month in order to not be in trouble. If being #2 every now and then was a death sentence for a comic company, DC would've expired years ago. So don't worry about Marvel - they'll be ok.
    Yes, it's true. Even if Dc seem to respect more the old fans, it's the same editorial who is at the helm. In the long term, they will make the exact same mistakes than with the new 52.
    Last edited by lordozone; 09-16-2016 at 09:13 AM.

Why are we still surprised that relaunches = big sales?

I am more stunned ASM creeped in the top 10.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Must we go through this all the time? Sales charts where DC is dominating and some person on here posts how they're afraid the sky is falling?

Niffleheim

Co-sign the ASM in the top 10. Is that the one with MJ on the cover? Or the beginning of Return of the Jackal?

Extraordinary Member

These threads are usually proxy wars for "Marvel or DC would be selling better if they did more of [whatever I like]."

Nobody's completely immune to it. Look at all the think pieces about Hollywood's bad summer and how the writer knows, just knows, that whatever they prefer would have made a better summer. (Hollywood needs fewer sequels! Hollywood needs more female leads! fewer female leads! etc.)

I would personally like to see Marvel do more back-to-basics, meat-and-potatoes superhero comics than they've been doing lately, but I have no idea if that would be good for sales. It's different with DC because the New 52 and DCYou had so many obvious flaws that a back-to-basics relaunch can help them do better (at least temporarily). Marvel is simply not in that much of a hole. They just are going through a less-than-exciting patch lately.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    No marvel now! will not out sell DC, Marvel now! is a lack luster relaunch and no one cares about death of x ,IVX, or what ever the event following them are because there doing everything in there powers to piss off x men fans and fore them in to the side lines instead of admiring that the inhumans can't replace them, if marvel doesn't change there dead in the water, they have to abandoned there angry fans are good fans ideology and start treating character with respect.
    Last edited by Dthirds123; 09-16-2016 at 10:04 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    I wish, but I don't see a lot of hype for the moment. I don't read Dc beside Batman, but all my friend who were Marvel fans are reading exclusively Dc, now. And frankly there is nothing very exciting in this new Marvel Now for me: the only new titles who seem to have sale potential are Champions and Riri Iron-man (because it's the only people that people are talking, even if it's for bad reasons). And the only titles who interest me are Infamous Iron man and the return of Thor Odinson. But it's not a big interest, it's just curiosity ! I really don't see nothing new in this Marvel now, it just seem to be the same editorial mistakes and the same boring new marvel writing.
    As opposed to the same boring new DC writing? I'm glad DC fans are enjoying Rebirth but it seems like just retreading the same old ground. There's nothing in it that appeals to me, personally. Wally's back but I doubt there's anything they're going to do with the character that I can't get from re-reading my old Waid or Johns issues. And Batman...still doing the same kind of Batman stuff that I have multiple long boxes of. In the latest issue of Detective yet another Robin dies (kind of) and I just feel like I've taken these rides before.

On the other hand, with Marvel they're telling stories that I haven't already read many times over. I don't know where Jane Foster's Thor story is going. I don't know where Sam Wilson as Cap will end up. For that matter, I don't know where Hydra Cap is going or how long Peter Parker will be a globally successful entrepreneur. I don't know where Miles is going in the MU or how the Champions will fare as a team or how Riri or Doom will make their respective marks as Ironheart and the Infamous Iron Man or where Tony will be in all this. It's not the same old, same old. It's treading new ground and that's the only reason for me to keep investing in an ongoing story.

I think a lot of DC fans want to exist in a bubble of nostalgia where nothing really changes and the primary function that comics perform for them is to provide a "safe place". To me, you can get that with back issues. If Marvel was all about keeping to the familiar status quos of their characters, I'd have stopped reading a long time ago.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 09-16-2016 at 09:51 AM.

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=lordozone;2297049

Yes, it's true. Even if Dc seem to respect more the old fans, it's the same editorial who is at the helm. In the long term, they will make the exact same mistakes than with the new 52.[/QUOTE]

There are a few things that make it a tad different. One, this relaunch is headed by Geoff Johns, and while he will no doubt be too busy to have a hard say in the line going forward, I suspect they'll constantly come back to him for advice on how to move forward, rather than Dan Didio and Bob Harrass's creative direction.

Two, quite a bit of their editorial staff actually HAS changed, not at all insignificantly, with the move to the west coast. You're seeing new guys like Andy Khouri coming up and you're seeing hungry, proven people from the west coast (digital) team like Alex Antone (under whose editorship some of the best Superman books of the last decade have been produced) and Brittney Jean Holzzer and a handful of others take a bigger role in the company's mainstream books.

And finally you've got the launch of Young Animal with the star power of Gerard Way behind it, turning what would certainly be immediately canceled books under most circumstances into a potentially strong mid-list.

Marvel will dominate again, for sure. But here we have the beginnings of what could be a more sustained success for DC.

Astonishing Member

Great for DC. Does anyone know how many issues Marvel put out for the month vs DC?

Although I don't expect DC to sustain this level of success maybe it's a sign to Marvel to slow down on the numerous 'pushes' for different IPs and stick to the basics. Maybe the Marvel backlash is gathering momentum. I definitely hope so. The company has pissed off a lot of fans and needs to be brought down.