Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    But there is a middleground between the conservative road of Dc and what I think is a very destructive road by Marvel who is destroying all his old heroes and creating 5 new teen and minorities heroes every week without giving time to the fans to be invested by this new characters. You can't create a new Ms. Marvel or X-23 just by saying so, and you can't destroy and reboot constantly your universe every 6 months, gimmickly. I'm personnaly not invested at all by this new Marvel, it's way too fast and there is too many change for me. But to each is own and I hope that it will work, I love Marvel as a company. But I don't think that's the best strategy sales-wise.
    I agree with you. Marvel has went overboard with replacing the main characters in the MU. Too much too soon and people will start leaving, which looks like what might be happening. They have to tone down the revisions and stop pushing the new IPs.

But what's losing thousands in print vs losing millions in television and movies? Joe Quesada has referred readers to Johnny Appleseeds. Print out a bunch of new diverse schlock and hope one of those ideas make it to the big screen. Lose a little in print, win large in the media. It's only the comic fans that suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    As opposed to the same boring new DC writing? I'm glad DC fans are enjoying Rebirth but it seems like just retreading the same old ground. There's nothing in it that appeals to me, personally. Wally's back but I doubt there's anything they're going to do with the character that I can't get from re-reading my old Waid or Johns issues. And Batman...still doing the same kind of Batman stuff that I have multiple long boxes of. In the latest issue of Detective yet another Robin dies (kind of) and I just feel like I've taken these rides before.

On the other hand, with Marvel they're telling stories that I haven't already read many times over. I don't know where Jane Foster's Thor story is going. I don't know where Sam Wilson as Cap will end up. For that matter, I don't know where Hydra Cap is going or how long Peter Parker will be a globally successful entrepreneur. I don't know where Miles is going in the MU or how the Champions will fare as a team or how Riri or Doom will make their respective marks as Ironheart and the Infamous Iron Man or where Tony will be in all this. It's not the same old, same old. It's treading new ground and that's the only reason for me to keep investing in an ongoing story.

I think a lot of DC fans want to exist in a bubble of nostalgia where nothing really changes and the primary function that comics perform for them is to provide a "safe place". To me, you can get that with back issues. If Marvel was all about keeping to the familiar status quos of their characters, I'd have stopped reading a long time ago.
    I couldn't have said this any better.

I'm not digging that much from Marvel right now but at least it doesn't feel like the majority of their output are safe books
    We need better comics

Too bad the only DC book worth reading, Deathstroke, didn't make the list.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

If you go by the charts in the article it looks like Marvel is only making money off of Spider-Man and Star Wars. Which I'm sure isn't the case but it is safe to say that DC currently has more cash cows than Marvel does at the moment. Just imagine what DC makes from just Harley Quinn and all the Batman books alone.
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .

I have a legit question though. Besides Spider-Man and the Star Wars books have there been any recent properties at Marvel that have always consistently been in like the top 20?
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .

Batman, Harley and Suicide Squad are their cash cows now. Hence the SS and JL crossover event coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTie-chan View Post
    I have a legit question though. Besides Spider-Man and the Star Wars books have there been any recent properties at Marvel that have always consistently been in like the top 20?
    The X-Men books.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorg View Post
    Batman, Harley and Suicide Squad are their cash cows now. Hence the SS and JL crossover event coming up.

The X-Men books.
    In the 90s but now tho... ??

Fantastic Member

I doubt that Marvel now have the success of DC Rebirth except for the first month.

Alonso is holdin 'on Star Wars, Secret Wars and Spiderman.

Inhuman have been a total failure, great writers hired for anything mediocre or bad sales.

Relaunch mutant, not Cyclops not Wolverine ... this will not be good in sales, and I think IVX or Resureection will not reach any of the events of "messiah complex" sales.

Series laying has invested heavily, like Scarlett Witch or Ant-Man, sold miserably.

No hype there was after Secret Wars, so there is apathy.

A Alonso has run out of ideas, everything he does is kill characters, create controversy and expect it to work, but increasingly less of where to catch.

work: Spiderman. the hydra captain and strong core of avengers if they do well. Inhuman are a failure, the mutants will continue losing sales, the new guys except Miles Morales have lost strength. Kamala is just in 25k, Cho is around, Sam-Nova sold poorly .. Champions will be a success? Probably the avengers of Spiderman it will beat.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beorg View Post

The X-Men books.
    In the last year , the mutant flagship is in the number 25-29 of ranking

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Considering how much sales they've lost since their last relaunch, it looks like they're losing that handle.
    Why because cry baby fans continue to act like Miles Morales is preventing them from reading about Peter Parker?

It's funny these threads pop up and target minorities and women for the sales.

Aside from Bruce Banner and maybe Tony-how oh how is Miles and friends preventing anyone from reading about the guys who are around like Steve Rogers.

Funny theses 12 books put of 50 or 60 are ruining Marvel.

The "sky isn't falling" but its pretty foolish to assume everythings okay, even with a relaunch.

DCs books, especially the Batman ones, are coming out twice a month and not dropping that much. There's staying power there at this point. Last relaunch for Marvel had dreadful drops and all of those were completely washed out sales wise after 3-4 issues. The staggered releases and Star Wars hid that.
    Nobody said everything was okay.

All we have are folks trashing books that they would NEVER touch.

And if Marvel tossed out Fantastic Four, Real Thor, Quasar, Real Nova and any other white guy-the same bashers would still find excuses to not buy them either.

Which is why all this is happening in the first place.

What is Marvel suppose to do? Do 50 Spiderman books?

Not try to develop other properties?

Not try to get other readers who are not white males?

Not try to develop properties that could be movies or tv shows?

Not try to be the destination for certain types of books? You think they like seeing Walking Dead & Saga taking spots?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Why because cry baby fans continue to act like Miles Morales is preventing them from reading about Peter Parker?

It's funny these threads pop up and target minorities and women for the sales.

Aside from Bruce Banner and maybe Tony-how oh how is Miles and friends preventing anyone from reading about the guys who are around like Steve Rogers.

Funny theses 12 books put of 50 or 60 are ruining Marvel.

Nobody said everything was okay.

All we have are folks trashing books that they would NEVER touch.

And if Marvel tossed out Fantastic Four, Real Thor, Quasar, Real Nova and any other white guy-the same bashers would still find excuses to not buy them either.

Which is why all this is happening in the first place.

What is Marvel suppose to do? Do 50 Spiderman books?

Not try to develop other properties?

Not try to get other readers who are not white males?

Not try to develop properties that could be movies or tv shows?

Not try to be the destination for certain types of books? You think they like seeing Walking Dead & Saga taking spots?
    They could try to not toss everything out the window every year. The current model gives us months of them hyping up their 'new' status quos, only for said books that feature this direction to go 3-4 issues before being thrown in a crossover and changed for the next gimmick relaunch.

What good is hyping up "We're making Tony Stark the focal point of our universe" and then less than a year later hyping up his replacement? Or doing the same with the ANAD Avengers only for them to actually be a team for a few issues before Civil War then have half the team make another team?

How exactly can you have faith in something like Champions if you're already having to worry about them being shuffled around for the next new thing in 7 months?

You get number 1s to sell but there's no retention rate on these books. Look at DCs relaunch so far. The books that are in their 5th or 6th issues aren't dropping that much. Maybe its still a fluke, but I'm willing to be people are confident that "Batman" is going to be something consistent. Marvel has what, Spider-Man that does that?
    Last edited by Slant; 09-16-2016 at 05:27 PM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

In the 90s but now tho... ??
    Deadpool.

Avengers and Wolverine also regularly charts high.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    They could try to not toss everything out the window every year. The current model gives us months of them hyping up their 'new' status quos, only for said books that feature this direction to go 3-4 issues before being thrown in a crossover and changed for the next gimmick relaunch.

What good is hyping up "We're making Tony Stark the focal point of our universe" and then less than a year later hyping up his replacement? Or doing the same with the ANAD Avengers only for them to actually be a team for a few issues before Civil War then have half the team make another team?

How exactly can you have faith in something like Champions if you're already having to worry about them being shuffled around for the next new thing in 7 months?

You get number 1s to sell but there's no retention rate on these books. Look at DCs relaunch so far. The books that are in their 5th or 6th issues aren't dropping that much. Maybe its still a fluke, but I'm willing to be people are confident that "Batman" is going to be something consistent. Marvel has what, Spider-Man that does that?
    This, totally. I have nothing against Champions for example, it's an interesting concept and Mark Waid is pretty good, but why would I buy this series, when I know that in 5 or 6 months they will change totally the book because of a cross over or because they will want to replace the heroes by the new Bendis creations of the week ? I have lost faith with Marvel for the moment, I will wait for the tpb and the reviews in 5 or 6 months.

BANNED

Physical or digital? Folks tend to hate looking at the digital sales as those characters nobody reads spanks the so called "popular" safe choices, same with tpbs

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

One of the reasons why Rebirth is doing well is actually not just the price but DC is actually trying to at least give focus for the writers in their story and in a number of ways try and let the writers enjoy themselves and not hold them back. There's also a clear plan at least building in the books in regard to where the stories want to go and explaining things that are happening. Marvel right now doesn't seem to be having that. Whatever happened to having fun at Marvel, like two years ago? Or even a year ago. Have they fallen into the Civil War needs to be edgy now category?