Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    does anyone else see the strange conflict here?

Peter Parker Remains a photographer for the daily bugle newspaper because the internet isn't as popular and powerful in this universe yet Mary Jane Runs A Fashion Blog where she's getting some serious attention in the world of fashion

if the internet isn't as significant then how the hell can MJ be getting serious attention from running a fashion blog?
    Internet's still significant, it just hasn't transformed the news industry.

So basically post-Facebook, pre-twitter is the sense I'm getting.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

For those wondering about Conway's and Stegman's comments about the Internet, all they really say is that the Internet hadn't gone as far in the RYV MU as in real life, which the main MU somewhat reflects, in making newspapers a dying industry. It exists, it's a major thing that everybody's plugged into in one form or another, but it hasn't phased out newspapers and other traditional media quite yet. That's it, pretty much.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

it's still a pretty weird thing to talk about during an interview for the book....guess they wanna get us ready for Myspace references

BANNED

does anyone else see the strange conflict here?

Peter Parker Remains a photographer for the daily bugle newspaper because the internet isn't as popular and powerful in this universe yet Mary Jane Runs A Fashion Blog where she's getting some serious attention in the world of fashion

if the internet isn't as significant then how the hell can MJ be getting serious attention from running a fashion blog?
    A similar thing happen with Spider-girl during the early issues of the series.

it's still a pretty weird thing to talk about during an interview for the book....guess they wanna get us ready for Myspace references
    Not really. They want to put Peter back into his classic employment status quo. But newspapers aren't really what they used to be in today's world. Because they aren't aiming to make this "the world outside your window," they can do whatever they want. So they justify Peter being a newspaper photographer by saying the internet isn't quite as prominent a presence in the RYV universe.

And before anyone points out that MJ is getting traction with her fashion blog, we don't know how much traction that actually means.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 09-16-2016 at 04:00 PM.

So...while Spider-Man is off doing Clone Saga 3 in the main universe, here we'll be getting:

- A Peter and Mary Jane that are married, successful in their professional lives, and co-equals in their relationship.

- Peter working at the Bugle and the classic Spider-Man cast actually being relevant again.

- The writers actually get Mary Jane and makes sure all plot developments are sensible to her character (at least in regard to this universe).

- We might get a team-up with the Torch.

What's the appeal of the main Spider-Man again ?

The only thing I'm iffy on is re-empashizing Mary Jane's fashion experience with Stegman as an artist, though I appreciate the thought .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

What's the appeal of the main Spider-Man again ?
    Amen my friend.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Not really. They want to put Peter back into his classic employment status quo. But newspapers aren't really what they used to be in today's world. Because they aren't aiming to make this "the world outside your window," they can do whatever they want. So they justify Peter being a newspaper photographer by saying the internet isn't quite as prominent a presence in the RYV universe.

And before anyone points out that MJ is getting traction with her fashion blog, we don't know how much traction that actually means.
    Surprised they didn't just have the Daily Bugle go the Buzzfeed route.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Nothing about this I don't like so far. When does RYV#1 hit the stands?

Regarding living Heroes, Regents tech in this World may not have required an actual sacrifice of Life. Regent recently appeared in Amazing and His victims were kept alive in the Stasis tubes.
    Life is the algorithm through which Goddess explores the infinite possibilities of Her own existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Spider View Post
    Nothing about this I don't like so far. When does RYV#1 hit the stands?

Regarding living Heroes, Regents tech in this World may not have required an actual sacrifice of Life. Regent recently appeared in Amazing and His victims were kept alive in the Stasis tubes.
    Conway actually addressed this on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/gerryconway/stat...02639795982336

Someone asked if the Avengers and X-Men were still alive in the RYV 'verse, and Conway says they are "alive and well."

(RYV #1 is due on November 9th.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Surprised they didn't just have the Daily Bugle go the Buzzfeed route.
    surprised they didn't just make the daily bugle online like it typically is...i think

Nothing really says The Daily Bugle has to be a print only company for Peter to be a photographer...Hell Photographers still exist in this day and age even with the internet as grand as it is

You'd still have JJJ running the place but it wouldn't be to exclusively sell newspapers

Peter being a freelance photographer and making a living off it is harder and harder to believe, though. If you need to handwave Internet/cellphone cams not ruining his job, you'd have to establish him as a Bugle-exclusive photojournalist, and that'd be even harder to buy considering his work isn't 'artsy' or thought-out enough to compete in such a market.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Peter being a freelance photographer and making a living off it is harder and harder to believe, though. If you need to handwave Internet/cellphone cams not ruining his job, you'd have to establish him as a Bugle-exclusive photojournalist, and that'd be even harder to buy considering his work isn't 'artsy' or thought-out enough to compete in such a market.
    and that's another problem i have here...you have to come up with so many excuses just to justify peter being in the position he's in

just what does he really do that makes his job enough to keep him from being kicked out on the streets out of his apartment?

Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    Interesting fact that you've pointed out......because here're some of the names of the heroes who were killed by Regent (within the SW Miniseries).....

Captain America, Hulk, Black Widow, Black Panther, Namor, Namorita, Night Thrasher, Nova(Rider), Speedball, Justice, Firestar, Vision, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Punisher, Cloak, Sandman & the X-Men (unknown if this includes those who were formerly New Mutants, X-Force and/or Generation X; but Regent did demonstrated {throughout the Mini} that he did possessed the powers of Colossus, Nightcrawler, Storm, Prof. X, Iceman & Cyclops IIRCC).

Seeing what other heroes (besides SHIELD, Prowler, Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Dagger & even Power Pack) & villians (other than those of Spidey's) should be a fascinating observation to following within this Series.
    Seeing as Regent wasn't a big deal in this rebooted Renew Your Vows, maybe Regent didn't get to kill anybody before he was defeated?

Astonishing Member

My opinions:

+ I find this really weird. I mean, except for Earth-616 (merged with the Ultimate Universe), and the worlds connected to the Spider-Verse, it seems all the other realities were destroyed. The world of the Maestro, the future 2099 of Captain America, Technopolis, Old Man Logan's world... etc. I want to believe that this world is actually a pocket dimension, like the one from Heroes Reborn, where the Parker family is trapped. And in the future, they will escape somehow and live in the main reality; possibly merging with their counterparts and restoring the continuity of the marriage.

+ I knew this book should be similar to the Fantastic Four, after all. It clearly proves a perfect chance to fulfil the emptiness left in the world after the 4F disappeared from Marvel.

+ If the Regent still existed in this reality, I don't get why they had to remove his futuristic technology. It cause a continuity problem after all.

+ "Peter is an overprotective parent, MJ is a little more loose". Not surprised. After all, MJ with Spider-Powers would be very similar to Mayday Parker, her alternative daughter from MC2.

+ MJ rejecting family uniforms like the Fantastic Four isn't a surprise either. After all, she a fashionista, and uniforms are everything but fashion.

+ I was suspecting MJ would use Regent's tech to have her powers, but I didn't expect her draining them from Peter. Humm, which way could MJ get powers on her own? Well, I have a few ideas:
    - Spider-Island's infection: This could be the perfect solution. Even if in this reality, the Spider-Island's arc never happened, we coudl still see some references to it.
    - Silk (Cindy Moon): If there's a Cindy Moon/Silk in this world too, she could be another perfect solution. Cindy's ability to use silk to create her costume could match perfectly with MJ's fashionista's sense. If this Cindy was trapped into a bunker too and she's freed too, she could wish to have a normal life too. So, MJ could use the Regent's technology to drain Cindy's power completely. That way, this Cindy could have a normal life and MJ get powers. This coudl work with other Spider-Women, like Mattie Franklin.
    - Iron Spider armor: Just like her main counterpart. In case Iron Man is still alive and the Iron Spider armor was created in this world too, it could work for "Spder-Mom" in the same way that Main MJ. Also, one of the Iron Spider armor's abilities was changing its look to look like other costumes or to turn transparent. That's something that MJ the fashionista would love too.

+ I don't get it. It's supposed that the Regent killed all the other powered heroes to steal their powers, and now they are supposed to be alive. What stupidity is this?

+ One more thing. After defeating the Regent, Peter did it unmasked and MJ's face was clearly saw by all the people around. So, shouldn't Peter and MJ's "secret idetities" being known by everyone?

Well, anyone shares my points of view?
    Last edited by Ursalink; 09-18-2016 at 05:40 PM.