Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Renew Your Vows promises Spider-Man fun, family-style heroics

http://www.cbr.com/renew-your-vows-p...style-heroics/

CBR interview with Gerry Conway and Ryan Stegman discussing their Renew Your Vows ongoing. They reveal several things about their universe.

Stegman hasn't been happy "for a while now" with the way love stories have been presented in comics. But a book about love, parenthood, and superheroics appealed to him.

They're pulling back on the futuristic technology seen in later issues of the original mini. They have a new take on the Mole Man for their universe.

It's been about 6 months to a year since the original mini.

Peter is an overprotective parent. MJ is a little more loose. MJ also rejected the idea of family uniforms like the Incredibles or the Fantastic Four.

When the series begins, MJ is using the Regent armor to draw on Peter's powers. This also weakens Peter. The creative team hint that down the line, MJ may look for a way to get powers on her own.

The Internet isn't really a big thing in this universe, so Peter is still working for Jameson at the Daily Bugle as a photographer. MJ owns a small boutique, and runs a fashion blog on this smaller internet. Annie is 8 years old, is kind of aggressive, and not as smart as she thinks she is, but she wants to please her parents.

Other characters outside of Spider-Man's world such as the Avengers may appear down the line. Conway wants Human Torch to show up.

Actually it didn't sound like it didn't destroy the Internet only that the newspaper business in that world hasn't been destroyed.

Honestly it sounds as though that they took the idea of a spider family title from the Renew your vows miniseries and decided to move it into another alternate universe that's similar to the regular universe. Honestly though that doesn't sound like such a bad thing but it does sound like it might confuse people who read renew your vows given that they full on say yes Regent showed up but he didn't get very far.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm kinda stumped if the bad guy in the pages they provided is the new rendition of Mole Man
    ASM-RYV-01-02s-final.jpg
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

BANNED

While I love this interview and Cannot wait for the series. I am a bit disappointed that they didn't even reference Spider-girl by Tom Defalco and Ron Frenz as that is the first Spider-family themed title that had MJ and Peter married and with kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    I'm kinda stumped if the bad guy in the pages they provided is the new rendition of Mole Man
    ASM-RYV-01-02s-final.jpg
    Could that be a redesigned Scorpion? Or Stegron?

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Actually it didn't sound like it didn't destroy the Internet only that the newspaper business in that world hasn't been destroyed.

Honestly it sounds as though that they took the idea of a spider family title from the Renew your vows miniseries and decided to move it into another alternate universe that's similar to the regular universe. Honestly though that doesn't sound like such a bad thing but it does sound like it might confuse people who read renew your vows given that they full on say yes Regent showed up but he didn't get very far.
    I summed up their comments on the internet as "isn't really a big thing." Not that it was destroyed or didn't exist (I even mentioned that they said MJ runs a fashion blog). As a comment, it is a little overly simplistic. But I don't think it's a big deal to say it as such since they still want Peter as a photographer working for Jameson.

Characters that weren't around in the original mini showing up like Human Torch or Thor shouldn't be too big a problem. But I wonder if characters that did appear and were clearly supposed to have been killed by Regent in the original mini will appear like Captain America. That might throw some people for a second, even if they aren't important in the grand scheme to this title.

Sorry must have misinterpreted what you typed.

Either way I could be wrong but it sounds like this will be more of a what if One more day series then a continuation of what happened in the secret wars mini.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Characters that weren't around in the original mini showing up like Human Torch or Thor shouldn't be too big a problem. But I wonder if characters that did appear and were clearly supposed to have been killed by Regent in the original mini will appear like Captain America. That might throw some people for a second, even if they aren't important in the grand scheme to this title.
    Interesting fact that you've pointed out......because here're some of the names of the heroes who were killed by Regent (within the SW Miniseries).....

Captain America, Hulk, Black Widow, Black Panther, Namor, Namorita, Night Thrasher, Nova(Rider), Speedball, Justice, Firestar, Vision, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Punisher, Cloak, Sandman & the X-Men (unknown if this includes those who were formerly New Mutants, X-Force and/or Generation X; but Regent did demonstrated {throughout the Mini} that he did possessed the powers of Colossus, Nightcrawler, Storm, Prof. X, Iceman & Cyclops IIRCC).

Seeing what other heroes (besides SHIELD, Prowler, Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Dagger & even Power Pack) & villians (other than those of Spidey's) should be a fascinating observation to following within this Series.

Ok hearing more about this, I'm alot more on board with it. MJ doesn't really have powers, she is just borrowing Peter's by use of a special suit.

But mole man, really?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    http://www.cbr.com/renew-your-vows-p...style-heroics/

CBR interview with Gerry Conway and Ryan Stegman discussing their Renew Your Vows ongoing. They reveal several things about their universe.

....The Internet isn't really a big thing in this universe....

See people the Internet ruins family life, just like my old tech teacher from high school said.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

This is looking and sounding sweet. I guess I'd been missing Spider-Man.

Mighty Member

I wonder what will happen if ryv sells more than Slott's asm.

This sounds like lots of fun, can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Ok hearing more about this, I'm alot more on board with it. MJ doesn't really have powers, she is just borrowing Peter's by use of a special suit.

But mole man, really?
    Mole Man was the villain in the very first Fantastic Four comic. He should be a bigger deal, I say!

BANNED

does anyone else see the strange conflict here?

Peter Parker Remains a photographer for the daily bugle newspaper because the internet isn't as popular and powerful in this universe yet Mary Jane Runs A Fashion Blog where she's getting some serious attention in the world of fashion

if the internet isn't as significant then how the hell can MJ be getting serious attention from running a fashion blog?