Fantastic Member

Default Has the Marvel Universe noticed the event schedule in-universe?

Wit all these events happening every few months I have to wonder if the Marvel characters have noticed that big stuff has happened more frequently than usual lately. Has anyone in-universe noticed?

I honestly think they are too busy. The Avengers especially always made fun of how they have to fight Aliens every other week or Super Villains every other day.
    And I'd wager their passage of time is vastly different from ours.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Also, the frequency of said Events led to the destruction of the MU. Events coming at such a rapid rate all the time did force Marvel to escalate to be more and more lethal and get bigger, till the powers that be made a really super big thing happen and BOOM! No more universes.

I hope Marvel have learnt their lesson that you can't just try and outdo yourself every time. What could you do that's bigger than Secret Wars now?

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Also, the frequency of said Events led to the destruction of the MU. Events coming at such a rapid rate all the time did force Marvel to escalate to be more and more lethal and get bigger, till the powers that be made a really super big thing happen and BOOM! No more universes.

I hope Marvel have learnt their lesson that you can't just try and outdo yourself every time. What could you do that's bigger than Secret Wars now?
    Doesn't matter. Every football(not handegg)-season is followed by another season, every olympic games are followed by others as well. They don't have to try to outdo Secret Wars. Not every football season is as good as the last, some are better, some are not. It's the same with Marvel Events.

The only thing they should think through is how many books ar affected by the next big event. If it fits the characters and story: Awesome. If it doesn't: Please just leave the book be.
    Last edited by Matternativ; 09-17-2016 at 04:21 PM.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Doesn't matter. Every football(not handegg)-season is followed by another season, every olympic games are followed by others as well. They don't have to try to outdo Secret Wars. Not every football season is as good as the last, some are better, some are not. It's the same with Marvel Events.

The only thing they should think through is how many books ar affected by the next big event. If it fits the characters and story: Awesome. If it doesn't: Please just leave the book be.
    The problem then becomes that Marvel does not write their current events with the mindset of "This story is really big and it would be odd to have certain books not aknowledge it" as much as "We need to write a story that has a decent enough excuse to make 50-80% of our books become involved in it", it has become no longer about certain stories simply naturally feeling like their events are too important to be ignored by other series and more about writing something with a big enough scale for lots of tie-ins first, and a story that feels natural second.
    Last edited by Murozaki; 09-17-2016 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post

I still think Marvel HAVE TO look for the next big thing because if the readers get bored, (like CWII is too much of a yawn for the fans), then their bottom line suffers. You can't sell a mediocre event. If fans need to be shocked, surprised, horrified, angered, to buy an Event, Marvel are duty bound to find that controversy that will send fans into their LCS.

Is this why the heroes are always fighting each other? They're all tired and cranky?

Quote Originally Posted by autbey View Post
    Is this why the heroes are always fighting each other? They're all tired and cranky?
    I never thought of it that way, but you could be onto something. 4th wall broken, and super heroes are complaining to Marvel, "Will you please stop with all these events? You're running us ragged and it's just too much".

BANNED

if superheroes ever got tired of being dictated and being sent to fight the good fight thor would have rebelled and dethroned Odin much before he dies fighting sutur. I mean he first banished him to earth and then constantly complains that he put midgard first in his priorities and constantly made him dependent on his good will for him to even assume his true godly form through the hammer and then was ready to slay him after first sending him in exile once again drifting in space due to his being suspected to have warrior madness and others had to point out that the malady was his doing and not true warrior madness or he would have killed him for his own sins. I mean it is a wonder that Thor didn't declare I can't take it anymore and leave Asgard and even when he did so he tried to have the warrior three stop him from leaving because he needed his power. seems he just saw Thor as a tool most of the time which he could fashion anyway he pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Murozaki View Post
    The problem then becomes that Marvel does not write their current events with the mindset of "This story is really big and it would be odd to have certain books not aknowledge it" as much as "We need to write a story that has a decent enough excuse to make 50-80% of our books become involved in it", it has become no longer about certain stories simply naturally feeling like their events are too important to be ignored by other series and more about writing something with a big enough scale for lots of tie-ins first, and a story that feels natural second.
    I don't think so: Standoff for one didn't include as many books as CWII does now. Secret Wars of course included everything because you can't ignore the end of the world.
    And then there is Mockingbird which serves as an example for something which only ties in with CWII because Chelsea Cain "demanded" it. The Marvel Editorial had no plans for this to happen

That said this is admittedly what I fear. As far as Secret Wars and CWII go it fees/ felt natural for most books (or at least those I read) to have the tie-ins they had and have but I don't need every Event to have such a reach and impact.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I still think Marvel HAVE TO look for the next big thing because if the readers get bored, (like CWII is too much of a yawn for the fans), then their bottom line suffers. You can't sell a mediocre event. If fans need to be shocked, surprised, horrified, angered, to buy an Event, Marvel are duty bound to find that controversy that will send fans into their LCS.
    The opinions on Civil War II are actually way more mixed than you think. I lost count on how many people at least prefer it over the first Civil War. I myself being, at least so far, one of them.
    Considering the worst that happened in this event kinda ruined my favourite Guy I think it says a lot about the rest of the event that I still am rather fond of all of this.

Even IF they need the whole controversy matter to sell well it doens't really always have to be as widespread as CWII. Events like Standoff work just as well.

________

PS: Neither of those comments have much to do with the topic at hand by the way namely if the Characters in the MU notice differents. We as readers certainly do but I still doubt that is the case for them becasue constant Invasions and other Catastrophes is pretty much what they are used to.
    Last edited by Matternativ; 09-18-2016 at 09:40 AM.

My Twitter

I think that, at this point, most superheroes would have gotten tired and retired...

-Their lives are a ruin. Everything they build for themselves keep being destroyed. Their professional and family life tends to be in shambles.
    -Normal people don't seem grateful. Yes, sometimes they are treated like stars, but just as often the public puts the blame of everything on them and treats them like crap.
    -More and more of the "heroes" are people who has done horrible stuff (mass murder, genocide, terrorism, trying to make a coup d'etat against the US government, flooding cities, leading alien invasions against Earth, sending people to extradimensional Guantanamo...etc.)... I would ask myself if I still want to be part of that club...
    -Heroes keep fighting civil wars among themselves with an increasing frequency.
    -Heroes are assholes to each other. When one is in trouble, the others won't do a thing to help or even treat them like crap. An example: Red Guardian keeps being held as a brainwashed slave concubine by the Presence after four decades, and they don't bother rescue her. Not even Carol Denvers, who was in a similar situation (she was kidnapped and nobody rescued her).
    -The hero community is classist: The elite orders around the others when they have use for them, and ignore them or outright tell them to stay out of the way and go back home the rest of the time. Just see how Banner was treated; how Hercules can't get help from his "friends" during the Godswar; how Pym is treated most of the time; how the Avengers treated the New Warriors...
    -Most heroes seem redundant: Their work doesn't seem to reduce normal crime. Supervillains seem under control for now. And most world-shattering crisis are solved by the same small number of heroes (I mean, when was the last time they asked Firebird to help when the world was in danger? Or Living Lightning? Or Justice? Or Rage? Or Texas Twister? Or Makkari? Or Ikaris? Or Thena? Or Moondragon? Or Sundragon? Or Comet Man? Or Mantis? Or Lyra? Or Jocasta? Or Tigra?). It doesn't seem like a few heroes hanging their tights would do much damage. And anyways, there is always a faction telling the others that they have to play by their rules or stay out of the way...

In short, I think by now most supers would have retired, leaving the superstars do all the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    I think that, at this point, most superheroes would have gotten tired and retired...

-Their lives are a ruin. Everything they build for themselves keep being destroyed. Their professional and family life tends to be in shambles.
    -Normal people don't seem grateful. Yes, sometimes they are treated like stars, but just as often the public puts the blame of everything on them and treats them like crap.
    -More and more of the "heroes" are people who has done horrible stuff (mass murder, genocide, terrorism, trying to make a coup d'etat against the US government, flooding cities, leading alien invasions against Earth, sending people to extradimensional Guantanamo...etc.)... I would ask myself if I still want to be part of that club...
    -Heroes keep fighting civil wars among themselves with an increasing frequency.
    -Heroes are assholes to each other. When one is in trouble, the others won't do a thing to help or even treat them like crap. An example: Red Guardian keeps being held as a brainwashed slave concubine by the Presence after four decades, and they don't bother rescue her. Not even Carol Denvers, who was in a similar situation (she was kidnapped and nobody rescued her).
    -The hero community is classist: The elite orders around the others when they have use for them, and ignore them or outright tell them to stay out of the way and go back home the rest of the time. Just see how Banner was treated; how Hercules can't get help from his "friends" during the Godswar; how Pym is treated most of the time; how the Avengers treated the New Warriors...
    -Most heroes seem redundant: Their work doesn't seem to reduce normal crime. Supervillains seem under control for now. And most world-shattering crisis are solved by the same small number of heroes (I mean, when was the last time they asked Firebird to help when the world was in danger? Or Living Lightning? Or Justice? Or Rage? Or Texas Twister? Or Makkari? Or Ikaris? Or Thena? Or Moondragon? Or Sundragon? Or Comet Man? Or Mantis? Or Lyra? Or Jocasta? Or Tigra?). It doesn't seem like a few heroes hanging their tights would do much damage. And anyways, there is always a faction telling the others that they have to play by their rules or stay out of the way...

In short, I think by now most supers would have retired, leaving the superstars do all the work.
    Very realist viewpoint that needs to be considered at some point.