Question anyone knowledgeable about The Metabarons

ive never read any of it but am interested in checking it out.

i saw the solicits for these new hardcovers from humanoids --

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/15946516...I1L4QTGF2Y2T9Y

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/15946515...I1TONTOS3XOD63

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/15946568...I1OAKZFFRBW6SG

and when searched further found more results from the recent past like this --

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/15946510...I3HWHBJA5001F5

can someone tell me, are any of these where i want to start? or something else.

i noticed that a few of the reviews mentioned things like incorrect dimensions (resized pages) and possible censorship when changed into english? i want to make sure that i get the best quality version so that if i love it i dont have to re-buy it.

i did a search of the forums for this but had trouble finding the answers i was looking for. if you have some guidance i appreciate it! thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
    ive never read any of it but am interested in checking it out.

i saw the solicits for these new hardcovers from humanoids --

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/15946516...I1L4QTGF2Y2T9Y

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/15946515...I1TONTOS3XOD63

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/15946568...I1OAKZFFRBW6SG

and when searched further found more results from the recent past like this --

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/15946510...I3HWHBJA5001F5

can someone tell me, are any of these where i want to start? or something else.

i noticed that a few of the reviews mentioned things like incorrect dimensions (resized pages) and possible censorship when changed into english? i want to make sure that i get the best quality version so that if i love it i dont have to re-buy it.

i did a search of the forums for this but had trouble finding the answers i was looking for. if you have some guidance i appreciate it! thanks

This is the one you want to start with, this collects the originals series:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...1F5&pldnSite=1

Castaka is a prequel the other two are sequels that Jodorovsky is making now.
    There was a previous oversized, slipcased hc edition of the original series but that's a whale now and goes for silly prices so the regular hc on the link above is your best bet. It's a nice hardcover with plenty of mind blowing, weird awesomeness. No censor issues, Humanoids doesn't censor anything as far as I know.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I was a new convert to Meyabarons and Jodorosky. Metabarons is the New Gods on mescaline! It is a completely rewarding saga about Super people violently redefining the cosmos and ideas of being. Plus there's ultra-violence, ultra-tech, and ultra-sex. Big Sci-Fi myth and spirituality. Jodorosky is a madman!

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post

There was a previous oversized, slipcased hc edition of the original series but that's a whale now and goes for silly prices so the regular hc on the link above is your best bet. It's a nice hardcover with plenty of mind blowing, weird awesomeness. No censor issues, Humanoids doesn't censor anything as far as I know.
    Actually, I would suggest starting with the Incal, to get a feel for it, before delving deeper into the series itself. That gives you a feel for the universe and the earlier use of the Metabaron.

If you like it, I also suggest trying out Christopher Moeller's Iron Empires, both Faith ConQuers and Sheva's War.

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post
    Actually, I would suggest starting with the Incal, to get a feel for it, before delving deeper into the series itself. That gives you a feel for the universe and the earlier use of the Metabaron.

If you like it, I also suggest trying out Christopher Moeller's Iron Empires, both Faith ConQuers and Sheva's War.
    So if you didn't like the incal (I didn't) you don't think they will like Metabarons?

Fantastic Member

I've recently read the Metabarons.... It's a weird beast. I didn't care for how the story was told when I was reading it but the ideas of the book resonated positively with me afterwards.

Maybe reading it in small chunks would work better. But each "chapter" is framed by two robots talking about the history of the Metabaron and moves into exposition/flashback and, in hindsight, probably should have been told linearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    So if you didn't like the incal (I didn't) you don't think they will like Metabarons?
    I'm not the biggest Incal fan (although I like it enough) but had a blast with the Metabarons. completely different art style and approach. Also you'r POV character is not a complete tool like John but always the greatest warrior in the Universe (sometimes they are a bit messed up though...well mostly they are).

I honestly think you don't need the Incal for the Metabarons.

I didn't say that. I said try it out to get a feel for things. They were written several years apart. I tried Metabarons and greatly preferred the Incal. Apart from Juan Giminez's art, I wasn't enraptured by it. Jodorowsky I preferred on White Lama, Bouncer, and Son of the Gun.

Regardless, I still stand by the statement that if you like Metabarons, try Christopher Moeller's Iron Empires work.

I'm not the biggest Incal fan (although I like it enough) but had a blast with the Metabarons. completely different art style and approach. Also you'r POV character is not a complete tool like John but always the greatest warrior in the Universe (sometimes they are a bit messed up though...well mostly they are).

I honestly think you don't need the Incal for the Metabarons.
    I keep meaning to get it as it looks interesting and at 500 plus pages it will have a bit of heft to it but my lack of any kind of liking for the incal has so far put me off, but I'm sure i will get around to it one day

I keep meaning to get it as it looks interesting and at 500 plus pages it will have a bit of heft to it but my lack of any kind of liking for the incal has so far put me off, but I'm sure i will get around to it one day
    I am not a fan of the INCAL, and actually picked up the HC of MetaBarons several years ago. The art is fantastic, its good sci-fi fun. I like the storyline through the barons over time...

The scale and overall story i think work really well.

Though the Incal introduces the Metabaron it is not needed. The stories stand on their own.
    Juan Gimenez is a beast, one of the greatest artists, go for it, as it is an awesome space-opera.

thanks for the replies everyone, i think i will skip the incal for now. based on the descriptions i feel like the piece i am specifically interested in is just the metabarons story.

Quote Originally Posted by John Aston View Post
    I've recently read the Metabarons.... It's a weird beast. I didn't care for how the story was told when I was reading it but the ideas of the book resonated positively with me afterwards.

Maybe reading it in small chunks would work better. But each "chapter" is framed by two robots talking about the history of the Metabaron and moves into exposition/flashback and, in hindsight, probably should have been told linearly.

this post was really valuable, as it helps set my expectations. i know what type of audience i am so maybe i should read it slowly and take breaks between chapters like you wish you had. thanks

i wanted to say thank you, because you answered each piece of my question. i appreciate it greatly.

if you (or anyone) has read the castaka now that its out, could you tell me if it can\should be read before that one metabarons hardcover since its a prequel? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
    thanks for the replies everyone, i think i will skip the incal for now. based on the descriptions i feel like the piece i am specifically interested in is just the metabarons story.

this post was really valuable, as it helps set my expectations. i know what type of audience i am so maybe i should read it slowly and take breaks between chapters like you wish you had. thanks

i wanted to say thank you, because you answered each piece of my question. i appreciate it greatly.

if you (or anyone) has read the castaka now that its out, could you tell me if it can\should be read before that one metabarons hardcover since its a prequel? thanks
    haven't read castaka yet but I would say (not just with metabarons but anything) even if it's a prequel if it was written after the original then personally I would read it after it.

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post
    I also suggest trying out Christopher Moeller's Iron Empires, both Faith ConQuers and Sheva's War.
    i actually just started reading this! i got three hardcovers in a kickstarter. since i do like it, that gives me hope the metabarons wont be too crazy for me