Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    It's not about how often he appears, it's about how he's being used. Snyder, the creator, shows some real contempt for Batmans other allies especially the Robins with how he presents Duke. "Batmans doesn't need a Robin" "I need something better than Robin". Duke's going to be better than Robin? One of the most well liked and important characters at DC? Sorry, but that attitude stinks.

He takes up a lot of panel time in the rather expensive ASB series but brings no personality or interesting character moments to those pages. He's like a small amount of butter spread over too much bread. There's not enough to Dukes character to justify the space he takes up. We're spending 5 bucks an issue for ASB, Snyder should be more responsible. Nobody is reading that series for Duke, it's all about Batman and his rogues gallery. Dukes inclusion is entirely for Snyders benefit, not the readers. Again, it stinks.
    I'd say this comment is right on target. Comic book companies should coddle their customers--not their overpaid staff divas.

The way some of you obsess about fictional characters and read into things with complete conjecture is absolutely insane.
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

Ultimate Member

Excluding the back up in ASB-how is he taking away from the story in one or two panels?

Excluding the last Batman issue-he has been restricted to one or two pages.

We're spending 5 bucks an issue for ASB, Snyder should be more responsible.
    So if he's that offensive don't buy the book.

Trade wait.

All Star Batman & Batman is NOT about Duke Thomas. It is about Batman & his villains. So any development is stunted by that.

You are not paying 5 bucks for HIM-this is BATMAN's book. Snyder is doing the job he was hired to do-write a Batman story and everything that he see fit to include in it.

If you got an issue with Snyder HURT HIS POCKET BOOK.

Let me say that again HURT HIS POCKET BOOK.

Batman will survive.

The amount of pages Duke is in does not warrant these complaint threads.

Jessica Cruz & Simon are not getting these complaint threads despite being Johns pets and they have a whole book to themselves & Justice League. Why are they immune?

Sooner or later someone is going to ask the very OBVIOUS question about this hate for Duke Thomas.

BANNED

What obvious question?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

What obvious question?
    Obviously, that everyone who hates Duke is only doing so because of his race.

Which is really offensive mind-reading. Well done.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Obviously, that everyone who hates Duke is only doing so because of his race.

Which is really offensive mind-reading. Well done.
    But, like the OP said, Simon and Jessica from GL aren't getting similar hate threads. That already proves that most of the hate has nothing to do with race.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

But, like the OP said, Simon and Jessica from GL aren't getting similar hate threads. That already proves that most of the hate has nothing to do with race.
    I'm just translating the offensive assumption. I disagree with it, but I thought I'd make it clear what the accusation was.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I'm just translating the offensive assumption. I disagree with it, but I thought I'd make it clear what the accusation was.
    It's funny, the character I compare Duke to the most is Wesley from Star Trek, who is one of the whitest characters ever. They're similar in the sense that they make a great series harder to enjoy with their presence, but the complaints of Wesley haters are taken more seriously. Don't see why Duke should get a pass.

Astonishing Member

It could because they are developing as characters, since they have their own book. Duke is part of an ensemble cast, and hasn't had much chance to develop or contribute to the plot in any meaningful way. He's come to Wayne Manor, training sparred with Bruce, comforted Gotham Girl and de-monstered her during Night of the Monster Men. That's all he's done in the space of nine issues. You could excise him and not lose much. Take Simon and Jessica from Green Lanterns, and that's the main characters gone.
    Last edited by jbmasta; 10-07-2016 at 10:49 PM.

BANNED

Jessica and Simon have basic stories that their characters revolve under even if the execution has been hit or miss(Simon has his fair share of misses). Duke arc doesn't even fit with his basic story, the reason he entered the picture is because his parents were jokerized, so his logical arc should be attempts to cure them, not dress like a banana and train to become a crime fighter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Jessica and Simon have basic stories that their characters revolve under even if the execution has been hit or miss(Simon has his fair share of misses). Duke arc doesn't even fit with his basic story, the reason he entered the picture is because his parents were jokerized, so his logical arc should be attempts to cure them, not dress like a banana and train to become a crime fighter.
    I believe the New52 Wally West already has the crime fighting banana situation covered. I think it was even lampshaded in the season three premier of The Flash.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    I believe the New52 Wally West already has the crime fighting banana situation covered. I think it was even lampshaded in the season three premier of The Flash.
    I'm the biggest Ginger Wally West fan ever and I still like Nu Wally more than I like Duke. At least Nu Wally fits in with the books he appears in. At least he has a personality. He'll never be my favorite character but he's grown on me a little. I don't think that will happen with Duke.

I haven't read a huge amount of stories with Duke but he's been a great character in King's Batman, and has a cool looking costume. A bit of overlap with Batman's other proteges but he's a very new character, ridiculously so compared to the Robins. I am confident he'll find a solid place in the Bat family and these early stories are how he'll get there.

Honestly, people complain when legacy characters are used but then complain when brand new characters are introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTierHero View Post
    I haven't read a huge amount of stories with Duke but he's been a great character in King's Batman, and has a cool looking costume. A bit of overlap with Batman's other proteges but he's a very new character, ridiculously so compared to the Robins. I am confident he'll find a solid place in the Bat family and these early stories are how he'll get there.

Honestly, people complain when legacy characters are used but then complain when brand new characters are introduced.
    A sad truth

Quote Originally Posted by KrustyKid View Post
    A sad truth
    You learn to tune it out.