Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Cuz he doesn't deserve it. He's the newest and least popular member of the Bat-Family, the one with the least amount of respect and connections with the other members, and the dullest most indistinct character that brings nothing new to the Family in terms of skills or his approach to crime fighting. Making him Batmans heir would be an epic insult to Dick Tim and Damian, who all have way more reason to inherit the cowl than Duke.
    There are no words to express my lack if caring about fictional characters who do not actually exist being insulted.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    There are no words to express my lack if caring about fictional characters who do not actually exist being insulted.
    Then you don't care about fictional characters at all and shouldn't have any problems with how they're portrayed no matter what. Cool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    The weird thing about Harper is that she actually wasn't all that bad in Batman Eternal. Pretty enjoyable character and hair when she was hanging out with Tim. That chosen one stuff in B&R eternal seems to have been the breaking point . It certainly was for me. I don't think I've ever enjoyed Duke outside of the last pt of Robin War. He just so bland, although his relationship with Gotham girl is slightly interesting.

It sucks too because the family could use more black characters, especially women. But they got rid of David, Luke isn't Batwing, and I have no idea what happened to The Fox girls. Nu Helena is around, but she is only connected to Dick and Babs at the moment.
    One of the Batwings (probably Luke) will be in 'Tec, I think as a permanent character. That's worth looking forward to IMO.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    One of the Batwings (probably Luke) will be in 'Tec, I think as a permanent character. That's worth looking forward to IMO.
    Didn't know that. Tec is truly the grounds for people who can't carry a solo. Which is really smart actually.

Spectacular Member

Just because all of the hate he's getting, I'm going to make it a personal mission to support Duke and just hope and pray that the push for Duke does in fact, work, just in spite.

I'm going to go on all the comic FB groups I'm a member of and just talk him up, as the greatest thing since toliet paper. Get the Duke love built up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rajikaru View Post
    Just because all of the hate he's getting, I'm going to make it a personal mission to support Duke and just hope and pray that the push for Duke does in fact, work, just in spite.

I'm going to go on all the comic FB groups I'm a member of and just talk him up, as the greatest thing since toliet paper. Get the Duke love built up.
    Would partake on that if it wasnt such a horrible waste of time. HF

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    To be fair, Julia is an old character, albeit one that has been heavily revamped so she might as well be a new character. And I think Seeley was mostly in charge of her.

I do agree that the newness of Harper and Duke isn't the main reason they are disliked. Raptor and the Gothams are new and seem to be pretty well received so far.
    Quite a few of the complaints I've seen about Harper and Duke, at least some of the more reasonable ones, involve how they're usually just repeating the same character beats as older Batfamily characters and not really bringing much new to the Batfamily books to warrant their big push.

Which I think does speak to an issue of redundancy in the Batfamily at the moment.

I don't know a lot about Duke, since I'm reading Tec at the moment. For those that are fans; what is it about the character that you like?

Quote Originally Posted by Rajikaru View Post

I'm with you.

Quote Originally Posted by RumpusMagoo View Post
    I don't know a lot about Duke, since I'm reading Tec at the moment. For those that are fans; what is it about the character that you like?
    The thing I love about him is that I never saw him becoming a main character in the Batman family, that simple.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Quite a few of the complaints I've seen about Harper and Duke, at least some of the more reasonable ones, involve how they're usually just repeating the same character beats as older Batfamily characters and not really bringing much new to the Batfamily books to warrant their big push.

Which I think does speak to an issue of redundancy in the Batfamily at the moment.
    Yeah this is it. The damn thing is already bloated enough by cramming all the old fan favorites together at once. But at least then, you have long established fans who have a reason for wanting them back. These two are just being pushed when there is already barely any room left. Poor Bruce doesn't have any more flesh for these little parasites to cling to.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    Didn't know that. Tec is truly the grounds for people who can't carry a solo. Which is really smart actually.
    Tim & Cassandra & Batwoman account for over 300+ solo issues.

They can all support solos.

Even if you toss in Batwing that's 40 more issues.

Stephanie Brown-19 issues.

That's more than Cyborg, Antman & many others who got solos.

To be fair the We Are Robin Duke is way better than the Rebirth one. The Rebirth one ignores that series.

WRR Duke wanted to be on his own without Batman holding his hand.

Rebirth Duke is the one we would have seen if Gordon didn't take over and Bruce stayed in his suit for End Game.

Yeah this is it. The damn thing is already bloated enough by cramming all the old fan favorites together at once. But at least then, you have long established fans who have a reason for wanting them back. These two are just being pushed when there is already barely any room left.
    WHO CAUSED IT TO BE BLOATED? The same folks everyone is praising for making Dc Rebirth, New 52, DC You, the era of butchering Teen Titans and so many other train wrecks.

Johns, Dan, Jim Lee and others.

WHO removed Cassandra Cain & Stephanie Brown?
    WHO wanted to get rid of Dick Grayson-so many times?
    WHO screwed Tim Drake so badly?

Harper was meant to replace those folks.
    Same with Jessica Cruz & Simon Baz meant to replace John Stewart.
    Duke-probably the same thing as he went from being a little kid to a teen REAL QUICK.
    DC Management should be getting the heat. They caused this.

And if Duke is hated this much as he is the ONLY chracter getting complaint threads-shouldn't Batman not be selling? If he is that toxic shouldn't Batman sell worst than Vision?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And if Duke is hated this much as he is the ONLY chracter getting complaint threads-shouldn't Batman not be selling? If he is that toxic shouldn't Batman sell worst than Vision?
    Hey, nobody's going to avoid an entire comic series over a single supporting character. Fans aren't that's petty, I loathe Duke and I'm enjoying the hell out of King's Batman despite his appearances.

I'm betting you can think of at least one TV show or comic series you really like that had a character you hated in it. You stuck with it because of the elements that worked.

I really don't get all the Duke hate, he hasn't done anything to warrant it. I do however find him extremely bland, which is why I have no real interest in him. This is the way I see it as far as personality goes;

Dick=chocclate brownie fudge icecream

Jason=peach raspberry hurricane milk icecream

Tim=carmel soft honey icecream

Damian=molten melt cherry rush icecream

Duke=vanilla ice cream

Verdict; Duke needs some personality, as in yesterday!

BANNED

I hate (or dislike, depends on my mood) Duke because he's extremely bland. The Bat-Family is bloated and doesn't need any more characters, especially one as bland as Duke. Gotham Girl I can forgive because she'll probably be dead or depowered in a couple years at the most. Duke is meant to stay forever, maybe even be the next Batman, just so Scott "$&@! the Bat-Family" Snyder can have his personal pet creation running around the DCU. He was created in bad faith and brings nothing new to the table.