Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default Gamestop : The Stories ...

Gamestop online has a lot of weird things. Usually the company is universally loved or hated. Mostly its the latter and the hatred runs deep due to several things Gamestop does gaming wise. So lets examine the anger at some things .

- One of the stories is Gamestop is pretty shitty with buying games back. And yes its true , they are. Numerous times I have taken games in and got the , "Well we will give you $1.50 and then later mark this game up to $15 bucks to resell..." The trade in problems is a major reason that Gamestop has issues. They wanna give you pennies on the dollar while they bank a huge price on resale. Its like the worst comic shop owner who wants your 80's Uncanny X-Men issues and offers a dime so he can try and resell the books for $8-10 bucks a pop.

Today just recently I got a Lego Stars Wars : The Original 6 Movie Collection on Wii. It was at a flea market for $2 bucks and I thought , I'll take it into Gamestop and see if they will trade me straight up for a used copy of PS3 version of the same game. Yes folks...the same exact game. I wanted it for PS3. Anyhow at 1st they seemed ready to give me an even trade , used copy for used copy. Then they told me "No...we can't do that. If it came from here we could.."

This irked me and I was like....ok , maybe they will let me sell the game and give me at least $12-15 bucks of store credit. I'm a pro member and the used game I wanted was $26 bucks. Well folks ....the guy checks and offers me $1.50. No lie...$1.50. I'm like...are you shitting me ? I kept the game awhile and took it to a thrift store and traded it even up for Bio Shock Infinite (Greatest Hits).

But this remains a problem , give you pennies and they wanna resell for huge marked up prices. If they had even offered $10 bucks I'd have likely said SURE and bought the Lego Star Wars. Yet nope...

- Another problem is retro wise the company is trying to move back into that. To get that market basically as retro stores are selling older games and systems. But as Pat the NES Punk and others have brought up , Gamestop isn't checking the older games well at all. Someone ordered an expensive NES game and instead inside the cartridge was Madden. Another time they shipped the wrong game completely.

Our stores here don't have retro trade ins yet as I checked. Its not expanded to this area to be done in stores. But online you can order and cross your fingers it comes out right.

- Getting a job there or working is considered trying to get into the mafia and....they are pretty hard on folks. The stories of folks working there , they describe being told how they have to push pre-orders , the Pro Rewards Card , and other things sales wise. Or they will face the wraith of the bosses above them if the numbers aren't good. One youtuber I watched discussed how he had become a manager , got into a disagreement over the numbers and was demoted within days , then waited months again to be a manager.

Others have said to get a job there you have to be a friend , of a friend at Gamestop. Like working for the mob I suppose. So many have told that in order to get hired , they had to become friends with someone there and then get hired.

In all I don't hate Gamestop. I have bought many a used game there and love the sales they do (the 4 for $10 buck sale around November). But they sure as hell need work at least one #1. The trading in old games to get store credit is wonky as fuck.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Gamestop definitely has its fair share of problems. The people that work at my local GameStop are all pretty nice, but they don't seem to be too happy to work there and i've overheard them complaining about corporate telling them their sales weren't high enough.

As for trade ins, it all depends on what you have to trade. I'very traded games and gotten 20-25 bucks before. You can check trade-in valueso on their website.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

BANNED

Meh I have tons of evil stories. Bottom line videogames are dead

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
    hmm well i guess sony and microsoft need to recall their new consoles then right?

BANNED

Considering Gamestop makes billions a year in video game sales , I'd hate to see what a real "dead" period for video games to be.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

BANNED

What kind of person names there business "Stop Game"

When you find this business, get back to us. I only know about Gamestop, which context tells me is the place to stop to get games.

I still wanna know how the industry is dying .

Gamestop employees have always treated me great. I have no doubt about the stressful working conditions based on stuff I have heard directly from employees. I do tend to buy most of my games from them, because of the customer service.

Well it looks like I have my 1st angry Gamestop story. Which pisses me off since I ordered this online. I ordered the 20 GB X-Box 360 system and got 4 games for it. I finally got it and 2-3 days later (today) took the time to hook it up. Well I go to start the system ...and it won't cut on. The power brick turned red and won't turn the system on. I did a tip , unhooked it all and it still won't come on.

From what I read , the Power Brick is bad. So why the fuck would you NOT TEST IT and mail it out ? Really Gamestop ? Now I gotta walk this back in and ask either for my money back fully or them to make it right and send me a system or brick that works. And I'm partly worried they mailed me a shit system now and wait the week on the power brick to arrive to test it out.

Well my buddy who works at Gamestop replaced the Power Brick and even said they should have tested it before sending it out. Pretty funny folks.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    So why the fuck would you NOT TEST IT and mail it out ?
    Is that what you really said to them? I mean someone's got to let them know this kind of stuff wont fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    Is that what you really said to them? I mean someone's got to let them know this kind of stuff wont fly.
    I didn't say it to them , I just posted it here and thought it. I said it to myself , who sends a broken power brick with a console ? lol. Least it now works and now I have to get an eithernet cord to hook up my internet and get X-Box Live. So I can get a handle online ala PSN. I'll go with it as I saw they want $35 bucks for the wireless adapter deal.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I didn't say it to them , I just posted it here and thought it. I said it to myself , who sends a broken power brick with a console ? lol. Least it now works and now I have to get an eithernet cord to hook up my internet and get X-Box Live. So I can get a handle online ala PSN. I'll go with it as I saw they want $35 bucks for the wireless adapter deal.
    That's BS! Gamestop should give you a free cord, or at least a discount, for the inconvenience of making you take the system back and waiting for them to install a new power brick. I would write their corporate HQ a nasty letter.