View Poll Results: Must the current Superman be integrated as native if the existing continuity?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. The refugee angle will get old. It needs to be fixed!

17 40.48%
  • No. It's not a big deal. People will just roll with it.

13 30.95%
  • I don't care as long as they don't bring back New 52 Superman

3 7.14%
  • I don't care as long as the stories stay quality.

15 35.71%
  • We comic book nerds worry too much about fictional people.

9 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I think the best case scenario is still saying they're the same man. Its messy as hell too but it at least makes it so that Superman's situation is the same as everyone else in the verse. So at the very least in that sense its a complimentary mess.

But I'm questioning again whether they're actually done with New 52 Superman for good. Which on one hand would make me happy but on another would make things even more of a mess.

I think we can all agree though that they picked the stupidest means possible to do what they wanted to do here. That they created all this of their own initiative when there was absolutely nothing forcing them to, not even to get to the ends they wanted to get to, speaks volumes about the continued incompetence of the Superman line. Its just currently being masked a little bit by one writer telling some fun stories right now, another writer delivering a nostalgia fest, and the hype of a new era.

December is being touted as being the the month of the first major Rebirth crossover, in this case JL and Suicide Squad. But the term "crossover" should scare any Superman fan. If December ends up being the end of the warming up period of Rebirth, I could easily see them going back to their constant crossover method, in which the Superman line in particular could be going full Berganza again in early 2017.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-20-2016 at 03:22 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I keep saying that they'll do to Superdad what they did to New 52 because it's the same people in there running things. The years leading up to the reboot were a mess. So were the latter years of the New 52. Unless and until they get new management in there, we're still going to see convoluted stories and crossovers nobody wants. Doesn't matter who is wearing the cape.
    Assassinate Putin!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I keep saying that they'll do to Superdad what they did to New 52 because it's the same people in there running things. The years leading up to the reboot were a mess. So were the latter years of the New 52. Unless and until they get new management in there, we're still going to see convoluted stories and crossovers nobody wants. Doesn't matter who is wearing the cape.
    Later years? The New 52 was a mess coming out of the gate.

In just Superman's little corner, no, it didn't become a mess until Truth. Unless we're talking about the full "planning" of the entire New 52 initiative. That was a mess out of the gate, yes.

But honestly the beginning of New 52 Superman was really similar to Rebirth. One great title (New 52 it was Action, Rebirth its Superman), one bad title (New 52 it was Superman, Rebirth its Action).
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-21-2016 at 02:41 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Option #7: No. I want New 52 Superman's memory and place in ongoing continuity respected.
    That's the only answer that makes sense to me. Also, there isn't any way that makes sense to fully integrate Superdad in the current continuity. Let him and his family build their own life in the village where they live, without "stealing" someone else's lives and place. They got a second chance, that's enough.

Merging him undermines the stories that went before. Going far back as pre new 52, Convergence and the whole new 52. I am sure some can close their eyes and buy it but building a real legacy is not supposed to be about a cut and paste hack job, but organic story telling. It would be a cheat. Taking the history of a character some fans like to hate on but no problem grabbing what defined him and his stories just to prop their fave. It's a messier way to resolve the mess DC has created. They need to let this Superman and his family find his own home and bring new 52 back. Or allow new 52 to stay dead in this canon because fact is he was here. He was his own character. Trying to steal his identity for this older one is lazy and imo one of the worse sins and plot devices writers can employ when they creatively run out of ideas. The problems that could arise with having a Superman strange to this world...well DC should have thought about that when they decided to drag in a character from another verse and timeline. They let SM walk for a year...and do other stupidier things pre new 52 hell they can let this one adapt to this new world and have different dynamics.

When Act 1000 comes around and DC need a new gimmick and new #1's they can reboot again.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

There's new seeds scattered about that may point to the idea that may point to the idea that he's every pre-flashpoint Superman rolled into one--like even the OG Superman from Action #1. Not at all confirmed yet, but some pretty standout clues point strongly there.

I'm really just along for what's proven to be a pretty fun ride.

Option 7 highly unlikely. Isn't Lois taking up dead Lois' job and with a smile no less? I think the first option will likely be the outcome whether you want it or not.

I'm not worried about this anyway. I might pick this title up in a year just to see where it's at but there's nothing right now that has my interest. I'm in my twenties so I can't really say that a married Superman with a son is my cup of tea.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    I'm in my twenties so I can't really say that a married Superman with a son is my cup of tea.
    I'm in my early twenties (totally unmarried/no kids at all/not even a pet) and this direction is really working for me. I think it just comes down to taste more than anything really.

You're probably right. Maybe I'm only ok with Superman settling down if there's an end to it. I'll probably have to get used to this or just move on to something else.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    There's new seeds scattered about that may point to the idea that may point to the idea that he's every pre-flashpoint Superman rolled into one--like even the OG Superman from Action #1. Not at all confirmed yet, but some pretty standout clues point strongly there.

I'm really just along for what's proven to be a pretty fun ride.
    Yeah, I think that's one way of looking at it.

That's basically what he represents. A 'classic' conception of Superman. As opposed to the New 52 version who's somehow (probably because of the suit, probably the attitude) been delineated as some sort of aberration.

Which I honestly don't get after a point. After from the Morrison 'jeans and T-shirt' phase, which they tried to replicate with Truth, there was nothing particularly distinct about the New 52 Superman other than the suit. His stories could mostly have easily occurred to any other Superman pre-marriage.

So I dunno why there's a need to 'preserve' the 'individual' legacy of the New 52 Superman any more than there was for any previous version. If the New 52 Superman is subsumed into this new Superman who's an amalgamation of many versions...what's wrong with that?

Now, the suggestion that New 52 Superman is some kind of artificial construct and has been all along...I can see that being offensive possibly. But if they have some way to reveal that New 52 Superman and Superdad are ultimately the same in some weird cosmic sense and everything gets cleaned up, I have absolutely no problem with that at all.

Thumbs up

Is obvious that DC is doing that... he as Superman and in JL, his wife in the planet, the fortress, Krypto and the characters called him clark... as if nothing happens.. and 4 months ago, superdad was no superman...

They are already doing that... the character need very little things to be character of this universe .. even exist the connection of superdad with this earth in the future annual of superdad..
    Last edited by adrikito; 09-21-2016 at 07:58 AM.

I'm less worried about how they handle it in future than I am about how they deal with it now, and after having read Trinity, I think they've got the right approach. It's something they've never really done with Superman before, so it's refreshing.