Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

For the record, I think Peter David would be a PERFECT She-Hulk writer, if he were interested. He's old, white and male so that doesn't grab headlines. I get it. I haven't seen much of interest done with the character since John Byrne's great run in the late 80's and early 90's, so it's a tall order regardless of the creative team.

I like the character. I loved Byrne and Soule's runs.

I'm perplexed by this direction though... I'll read the first issue, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by White_Panther View Post
    Yeah but only in the current pc climate a no name author can get a major comic like the hulk overnight. Because in the current pc culture climate race, sex and orientation have more value than, idk, experience, skills and talent?

I'm not saying the author's not talented, i wouldn't know, i don't read indies, not the fancy one most people do anyway, i'm saying that only in the current climate marvel would feel safe enough to try to jump the shark this way, and it would never happen with someone with no sjw sign of approval.

Way i see it? Marvel wins in any case. The book sells? Money. The book tanks? They still get a breather from all the aggro they got for not pushing diversity enough.
    Ms Tamaki has written an award-winning graphic novel. Clearly they hired her for reasons beyond her race and her gender.

Ultimately, I have no real problem with the creative team outside of my trepidation of indie creators on mainstream books, which is based on past experience. What really bugs me is the rather uncreative turn of making her a female version of the male Hulk. She-Hulk had the Hulk's basic powers, but she always had her own personality and upbeat adventures. Why does Marvel feel that individuality is boring and that making her yet another female/minority analog is more interesting? This sort of thing is cynical and actually the opposite of progressive, yet so many people either refuse to admit it or fail to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Ms Tamaki has written an award-winning graphic novel. Clearly they hired her for reasons beyond her race and her gender.
    There's the rub. Alan Moore is my favorite comic writer in that I think he's the most intelligent and interesting writer I've ever read in the comics medium. I love his work. Yet I highly doubt he'd be capable of writing a Fantastic Four or Spider-Man title that I'd enjoy reading. This idea that a great creator, since they did good work in the past in other genre's, simply by default will have a handle on ANYTHING they touch is absurd to me. Even great writers and artists are people with blind spots.

Quote Originally Posted by KingsLeadHat View Post
    There's the rub. Alan Moore is my favorite comic writer in that I think he's the most intelligent and interesting writer I've ever read in the comics medium. I love his work. Yet I highly doubt he'd be capable of writing a Fantastic Four or Spider-Man title that I'd enjoy reading. This idea that a great creator, since they did good work in the past in other genre's, simply by default will have a handle on ANYTHING they touch is absurd to me. Even great writers and artists are people with blind spots.
    I was referring to white panther's comment about Tamaki being hired because of her race and gender not her skill and experience. Could she do well on this new book? Maybe, maybe not? But it doesn't mean she's not a good writer in her own right and was only hired to fill a quota.

Quote Originally Posted by White_Panther View Post
    Yeah but only in the current pc climate a no name author can get a major comic like the hulk overnight. Because in the current pc culture climate race, sex and orientation have more value than, idk, experience, skills and talent?

I'm not saying the author's not talented, i wouldn't know, i don't read indies, not the fancy one most people do anyway, i'm saying that only in the current climate marvel would feel safe enough to try to jump the shark this way, and it would never happen with someone with no sjw sign of approval.

Way i see it? Marvel wins in any case. The book sells? Money. The book tanks? They still get a breather from all the aggro they got for not pushing diversity enough.
    Award. Winning. Writer. Mariko Tamaki is an award-winning writer. She's not some nobody. This One Summer was reviewed in a ton of major media outlets. She's very much a somebody. And honestly? The idea that Marvel's giving major titles to women and people of colour? No. That's not even close to being true. It's not. At all. Women and POC have been given, almost exclusively, minor titles. Captain America, Daredevil, Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, even Uncanny Inhumans - virtually all of the A-list titles are being written by straight white men. The exceptions are Black Panther - being written by an award-winning journalist who's black - and the Hulk titles, one of which is written by an Asian-American with years of experience writing for Marvel (including a well-received previous run on the Hulk!), and now another being written by a gay Asian-American woman who is, again, an award-winning writer who's been spotlighted in major publications across the continent.

Seriously, as a straight white man myself, we have goddamn everything. We really do. We have a stranglehold, and we make it damned near impossible for anyone who isn't a straight white man to get in. And if one does get in? Holy ****, do we ever tear her apart. Here we are, talking about an award-winning writer, someone with huge amounts of skill and talent, and no shortage of experience outside Marvel. And here you are, completely and totally dismissing her out of hand as "PC pandering." Because not being a straight white man is a political statement in itself.

Ultimately, I have no real problem with the creative team outside of my trepidation of indie creators on mainstream books, which is based on past experience. What really bugs me is the rather uncreative turn of making her a female version of the male Hulk. She-Hulk had the Hulk's basic powers, but she always had her own personality and upbeat adventures. Why does Marvel feel that individuality is boring and that making her yet another female/minority analog is more interesting? This sort of thing is cynical and actually the opposite of progressive, yet so many people either refuse to admit it or fail to see it.
    The thing is, just because she's angry, that doesn't really mean she's just a female version of the Hulk. She'll still be her own unique character. But this is going to be a story that allows her to be angry. Something women are seldom allowed to be. I think this is a good idea. And Tamaki will do a fantastic job with it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    The thing is, just because she's angry, that doesn't really mean she's just a female version of the Hulk. She'll still be her own unique character. But this is going to be a story that allows her to be angry. Something women are seldom allowed to be. I think this is a good idea. And Tamaki will do a fantastic job with it.
    This. Besides, why not explore women's anger in fiction especially without resorting to stupid jokes guys would make? Because I think she has every right to be angry given what had happened.

Quote Originally Posted by MCBT View Post
    This. Besides, why not explore women's anger in fiction especially without resorting to stupid jokes guys would make? Because I think she has every right to be angry given what had happened.
    Exactly. We've already, in this thread, had a guy make a stupid "PMS" comment. Because if a woman's angry, it must be related to her period, right? Those crazy women and their crazy periods! Ha ha ha! I'm a bad stand-up comic from the '80s! Seriously, that **** is just so constant. Women aren't allowed to be angry, and if a woman is angry, men will just dismiss it as her being on her period. Always. So why not let a woman be angry? Take a woman who's generally happy, but who recently nearly died, and who also just lost one of the most important people in her life . . . and let her react. Let her feel that. She has very good reason to be pissed off.

I love most of the female solos Marvel is currently putting out. I love that, for the most part, they're really positive, upbeat comics. The ones that aren't, the women are cold and aloof. And I'm glad they're going to explore something different. Something that Marvel has seldom explored.

And the fact that it's Mariko Tamaki writing it? That is more than enough reason to be optimistic about how it'll go. Because she writes wonderfully human characters. Again, the only one I've read is This One Summer, but the characters in that were real teen girls, with all the messiness that goes along with it. She will nail this comic. She will do a stellar job.

I love this move. It fits nicely into some of Marvel's recent efforts to put new characters into classic roles. It worked with Thor. It worked with Wolverine. I think it can work with She-Hulk. With her cousin dead, I think she's in a perfect position to take up the mantle and carry on Banner's legacy. She's his cousin. She has a personal stake in being the Hulk, more so than Amadeus Cho. Jen has always been a bit more measured when it comes to her anger. She doesn't let blind rage consume her quite as often as her cousin. Now that he's dead though, she has much more reasons to be angry and I think that'll bring out the best in her.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Astonishing Member

For the record, I think Peter David would be a PERFECT She-Hulk writer, if he were interested. He's old, white and male so that doesn't grab headlines. I get it. I haven't seen much of interest done with the character since John Byrne's great run in the late 80's and early 90's, so it's a tall order regardless of the creative team.
    PAD already wrote She-Hulk. His particular take was not exceptional enough to stick.

This is one of those threads that shows me exactly why the mainstream comics press is so stagnant. Here's an opportunity to actually explore other facets of one of their premiere heroes, delve into the core of her character in a way that hasn't been done in recent history and people immediately throw up their hands in disgust or dread.

The Speedball comparison is also way off. Allowing Jen to be overwhelmed by rage (considering the number of things that went wrong recently), is pretty different than the drastic change of character that Robbie underwent. I get that he felt intense guilt but they took it to "comical" levels, which Slott so rightly lampooned. Robbie was effectively broken as a character in that scenario.

Like Ceebiro said, PAD wrote She-Hulk immediately after Slott's run. His run was...OK, but not all that memorable.

I am really looking forward to this. There are dozens upon dozens of stories featuring lighthearted Jen, and as much as I am a fan of that character, she has gotten a little stale. So, I'm glad for something different being done with her other than changing her job (like going from being a lawyer to hanging out with a Skrull). There is already very little character development in Big Two heroes (this might be starting to change), and this sounds like a completely believable change for her given what happened in CW2.

Plus, yes, struggling with one's inner monster is a central Hulk theme so I'm very interested in seeing this happen with Jen.
    Last edited by areacode212; 09-20-2016 at 06:40 AM.

Incredible Member cheesebiggins's Avatar

Only read a little bit of She-Hulk before but this is one of very few Marvel Now 2.0 series I'm interested in. Sounds different to the usual stories.

Fantastic Member

Love She-Hulk. I'll check it out. I'm glad Marvel is getting an award winning COMICS writer on the book and not a popular novelist who is learning a brand new medium on prime time.