Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I liked it, Star-lord in of himself is kind of a goofball who tries his best a being both a superhero and Han Solo at the exact same time, and in a manner he succeeds. He's a lot of fun to see as goes around blasting Badoons, especially with great art by Paco Medina. I myself liked seeing Kitty Pryde in this and i'm actually interested to see where the relationship, or whatever you want to call it, goes. The ending was ok, could have been better but it's intriguing enough for me to see where it goes. Overall, I'd highly recommend it to anyone.
    These are my exact thoughts.
    Formerly Doctor Malekith.

So it seems that most people have mixed feelings on issue 1

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    You have to remember, this Star-Lord is NOT that Star-Lord, and the current Bendis J-Son is NOT that Jason.

They have retconned everything from the old series. Not only that but they have seemed to retcon everything from the Giffen/DnA run as well.

This Peter Quill is basically a brand new character unfortunately.
    Giffen only made a few changes when bringing Star-Lord and his history to the 616, like changing the time period of when he became Star-Lord and retconning that bad Claremont story about the Master of the Sun being a lizard, besides that they where the same character with basically the same history. Maybe if Giffen had more time with the character he would of retconned more, but I doubt that because unlike Bendis, Giffen prays at the alter of continuity and still writes good story's. Giffen and Dna both referenced Star-Lords past a number of times they even mentioned that Star-Lord used to go on adventures with his father! Giffen's Peter Quill was logical evolution of this character and was such a unique character! Now he's just a dumb man child who couldn't think his way out of box, who's long and interesting history and supporting cast have been flushed down the toilet. Bendis spent 30 pages on the first section of Star-Lord's origin that Giffen, Englehart, Claremont, and DnA all told in 1-2 pages, because apparently to Bendis what all those others writers viewed as the most important parts of this character Bendis doesn't, and even Bendis doesn't know what Peter's core is since his version of Peter doesn't seemed to be as bumped and angry about his mother as all the other writers, even tho that was the focal point of his retelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Daredevil is Legend View Post
    So it seems that most people have mixed feelings on issue 1
    To be fair to Sam Humphries. Besides the ending that was really dumb and pointless, I thought his first issue was pretty fun and he writes this new Quill character much better then his own creator and he's actually gives you the sense there's stuff going on behind Peter's eyes, it gives me the sense that he might have little of that Genius tactician of the Old Quill. Medina's art is always great.

Invincible Member

There's a couple of fun Marvel Spotlight Starlord stories from back in the day. One about the planet of "heaven" and one about a "killer" planet where part of the story was written from the planet's POV. I wanna say they were scripted by Doug Moench, but I'd have to go look it up.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trevel8182 View Post
    Giffen only made a few changes when bringing Star-Lord and his history to the 616, like changing the time period of when he became Star-Lord and retconning that bad Claremont story about the Master of the Sun being a lizard, besides that they where the same character with basically the same history. Maybe if Giffen had more time with the character he would of retconned more, but I doubt that because unlike Bendis, Giffen prays at the alter of continuity and still writes good story's. Giffen and Dna both referenced Star-Lords past a number of times they even mentioned that Star-Lord used to go on adventures with his father! Giffen's Peter Quill was logical evolution of this character and was such a unique character! Now he's just a dumb man child who couldn't think his way out of box, who's long and interesting history and supporting cast have been flushed down the toilet. Bendis spent 30 pages on the first section of Star-Lord's origin that Giffen, Englehart, Claremont, and DnA all told in 1-2 pages, because apparently to Bendis what all those others writers viewed as the most important parts of this character Bendis doesn't, and even Bendis doesn't know what Peter's core is since his version of Peter doesn't seemed to be as bumped and angry about his mother as all the other writers, even tho that was the focal point of his retelling.
    It's because today we live in a society that is filled to the brim with "dumb man children", and Bendis is just writing something they can relate.

As someone who is fairly new to Star Lord would it be fair to say i'm reading about Chris Pratt instead of Peter Quill? I mean he seems like a different character in Annihilation,not sure if the Star-Lord in Annihilation would be doing Karaoke.Hell,even in the episode in Avengers EMH's he seemed different than he is now

Quote Originally Posted by Daredevil is Legend View Post
    As someone who is fairly new to Star Lord would it be fair to say i'm reading about Chris Pratt instead of Peter Quill? I mean he seems like a different character in Annihilation,not sure if the Star-Lord in Annihilation would be doing Karaoke.Hell,even in the episode in Avengers EMH's he seemed different than he is now

Yeah, unless something is explained in the upcoming Original Sin tie in about how Peter Quill was changed this is basically a new character. However, tje Bendis Starlord, while similar to Pratt is still its own thing. But close enough that yeah jes modeled after the movie. He in jo way resembles annihilation starlord

I agree completely!

Bendis turned a deep character into a han solo knockoff with daddy issues. He has his fun moments, but only if read as a completely new character. The Giffen/DnA Peter Quill was tortured by the sins of his past and strove to right wrongs and reclaim his role as hero to atone for past mistakes. He was a normal joe surrounded by crazy aliens and cosmic hoopla but was charismatic enough to rally them as Guardians. He was also in his 30's.

Bendis Peter is younger, blond, only worries about what his dad is upto, acts like a buffoon, and doesnt seem to have the same personality or interaction with his team as he used to. The only way to explain this is that he was changed dramatically in the cancerverse.
    But weren't the inhabitants of The Cancerverse changed dramatically after they got invided by the Many-Angled Ones!? Maybe the MAO infected/changed Star-Lord too! So eventually it was not Bendis who "destroyed" Star-Lord but DnA by left him in that universe!

Quote Originally Posted by ETMike1988 View Post
    But weren't the inhabitants of The Cancerverse changed dramatically after they got invided by the Many-Angled Ones!? Maybe the MAO infected/changed Star-Lord too! So eventually it was not Bendis who "destroyed" Star-Lord but DnA by left him in that universe!
    Bendis didnt destroy StarLord. He created an all new character using his identity.

The MAO made them "dark", not younger with different hair and new personalities and history.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

So I'm a big fan of Chris Pratt and I also love Flash Gordon and Buck Rodgers, so I picked up issue one this week and pretty much enjoyed it. It has a few writing flaws, but it's a fun book. My question is what are the "big" STAR-LORD stories out there? I want to get into this character before the film comes out, and I figured this would be the place to ask that. I'm not really interested in the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, but I'm willing to read something that he's in. At least if he's like he was in this comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    So I'm a big fan of Chris Pratt and I also love Flash Gordon and Buck Rodgers, so I picked up issue one this week and pretty much enjoyed it. It has a few writing flaws, but it's a fun book. My question is what are the "big" STAR-LORD stories out there? I want to get into this character before the film comes out, and I figured this would be the place to ask that. I'm not really interested in the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, but I'm willing to read something that he's in. At least if he's like he was in this comic.
    The original comics seem to be good. I haven't read them, but the author's roster is attractive. There's even a Claremont/Byrne collaboration before the X-Men.

I just realized something, Star-lord's sister said the former emperor J'Son, I know some stuff went down in Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain Marvel but I don't remember him being removed from the throne.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Bendis didnt destroy StarLord. He created an all new character using his identity.

The MAO made them "dark", not younger with different hair and new personalities and history.
    Don't forget that in DnA's Guardians of the Galaxy, Star-Lord became an old man who could be his own grandfather! Maybe something happened with him when he went back to his own universe so that's why he is now younger both in spiritually and physically and has got blonde hair!