Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I don't think this is just about Cyborg. I think the reason many people are still upset is because the entire Wolfman/Perez run on Teen Titans is still out of continuity, despite the promise that Rebirth was supposed to bring back everything people loved about the old DC universe. Until this is fixed I don't think the DC universe will ever quite feel "whole" to old school fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Barbarian View Post
    Couldn't Wally just have been appearing to Vic because of his memories of Pre-New 52 Teen Titans stuff?

Aside from that, it would be cool if this happened.
    Yeah I admit first one is a bit of stretch but Kilg%re is too much of a coincidence to pass.

Extraordinary Member

Well, with Superman back, its almost a certainty that Cyborg's history with the Titans is going to be at some point addressed if not just flat out restored. DC is not going to have a reality where Superman remembers a continuity that nobody else on the JL does. That's just incredibly unlikely. Cyborg may remain a JL member, but they'll all remember that he was a Titan beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    I'm surprised no one took a notice of this and it's been eating me since I read November solicits.

I'll start from the beginning;

1) He was the first Titan Wally went to during Rebirth, even before Dick. It went like this; Boomerang, Cyborg, Nightwing. Boomerang, sure, because of the movie but we later learned that he's about to have a clash with Flash in the upcoming JL vs SS event, which was a link missing in New 52. Wally is already connected to Dick. And all that leaves is Vic. I don't think Johns threw that panel for nothing, he was acknowledging their bond. He could have went to any Green Lantern but Wally picked Vic instead.

2) Dick forms a friendship with Vic in JL #51. They are about same age and they bond over being the youngest around other superheroes. That's a prologue to Titans book, so this issue is important.
    THANK YOU!

I was beginning to think I was the only one who noticed Justice League #52. Plus, it was also written by Dan Abnett--the architect behind both Titans Hunt and Titans Rebirth.

I remember reading that issue (which was very good!) and thinking, "OMG...they're totally setting it up so that Robin enlists Cyborg to help establish the New Teen Titans as part of the 10 years Mister Oz had Dr. Manhattan steal from the DCU!"

Add in that Christopher Priest already confirmed in interviews that he and Abnett are retelling The Judas Contract and Titans history in Deathstroke and Titans, respectively. And I totally concur with your assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Quinch View Post
    I don't think this is just about Cyborg. I think the reason many people are still upset is because the entire Wolfman/Perez run on Teen Titans is still out of continuity, despite the promise that Rebirth was supposed to bring back everything people loved about the old DC universe. Until this is fixed I don't think the DC universe will ever quite feel "whole" to old school fans.
    This is why everyone who loves the New Teen Titans absolutely should be reading both Titans and Deathstroke. Priest and Abnett are restoring old NTT history in those 2 books. If you are a true blue NTT fan? You should be buying both of those books. And I suspect you'll be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Well, with Superman back, its almost a certainty that Cyborg's history with the Titans is going to be at some point addressed if not just flat out restored. DC is not going to have a reality where Superman remembers a continuity that nobody else on the JL does. That's just incredibly unlikely. Cyborg may remain a JL member, but they'll all remember that he was a Titan beforehand.
    I think that Abnett has established what the path forward is by his work on JL #52: Robin and Cyborg met as teens and then worked together to create a New Teen Titans. DC then gets to keep Cyborg as a Justice League founder while still having him also found the New Teen Titans--like how The Beast is both an X-Men and an Avenger at the same time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackest Knight View Post
    I think that Abnett has established what the path forward is by his work on JL #52: Robin and Cyborg met as teens and then worked together to create a New Teen Titans. DC then gets to keep Cyborg as a Justice League founder while still having him also found the New Teen Titans--like how The Beast is both an X-Men and an Avenger at the same time.
    That's not really an apt analogy. Beast being a founder of the X-Men was always part of his character, but he was never then retroactively made into a founding Avenger. I don't want Cyborg to be a founding JLA member. I want the original founding roster to be the founding roster. I want every single story told with the JL to be a part of an long ongoing continuity going back to the very first story told in Brave and Bold #28. Marvel has that with both the Avengers and the X-Men. I don't see why DC shouldn't have that with the JLA.

It's impossible to erase Cyborg's founder status now and that's not my point.

I think he formed a friendship with Dick and even if he didn't become a founder Titan, he definitely hung out with them due to being close to age. And he most definitely teamed up with Wally when he became Flash, albeit I think it will be reduced to Dick's Batman stunt instead of holding it for 10 straight years.

So that would make Vic close friends with both Dick and Wally and by extension other young adult heroes. It would also give him an opportunity to join Starfire as a mentor in TT and voila, we have Geoff Johns Teen Titans in a new era.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blackest Knight View Post
    I was thinking this was the easiest way to keep everyone happy.
    Have a NTT team having been formed with all the members you want there and just have the break up before the New 52 got going, with Cyborg being attached to it as a JL liason or someone's idea to keep him grounded (I'm thinking Batman oddly enough considering how Johns had him encourage Tim to join the Titans).

Speculation which seems kind of like a stretch. The current Titans run restored the original Titans not the New Teen Titans for the record.

The Deathstroke run is redoing Judas Contract so maybe that will restore some of the New Teen Titans, but there is also the possibility it changes things.

Based on everything we know at this point the Titans relationship is not being restored. If DC wanted to do that it would be easy and they would have done it right away not taking forever to do it and letting people grasp at tiny straws to come to that conclusion. No big event? No big marketing? No foreshadowing? Maybe it will happen down the road but thats not what the current leadership has in mind.

Outside of the first animated Cartoon i think DC has mistreated/taken the Teen Titans property for granted which is why its a shell of its former self.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Speculation which seems kind of like a stretch. The current Titans run restored the original Titans not the New Teen Titans for the record.

The Deathstroke run is redoing Judas Contract so maybe that will restore some of the New Teen Titans, but there is also the possibility it changes things.
    The only major change I hear fans griping about maybe happening is them eliminating Deathstroke having sex with 16 year old Tara Markov. If that is one of or the only major change, then count me as a supporter of it. I don't need to see any DC character committing statutory rape to be satisfied with the plot and characterization. It is fine with me if that change is made. Go for it.

Based on everything we know at this point the Titans relationship is not being restored.
    Your tone implies this as a fact when it is purely conjecture on your part. Neither you nor I or anyone else here knows that to be the case just yet.

If DC wanted to do that it would be easy and they would have done it right away not taking forever to do it and letting people grasp at tiny straws to come to that conclusion. No big event? No big marketing? No foreshadowing? Maybe it will happen down the road but that's not what the current leadership has in mind.
    Respectfully begging your pardon here, but you do not speak for me on this subject and I am fine with how DC is handling it thus far. I don't feel I'm being strung along with grasping at tiny straws.

We've had more than enough big events and big marketing pushes from DC and Marvel in the past 3 decades to last a lifetime; no shortage of it at all--just the opposite, a gross overabundance of them. If they are going a slower and more deliberate route not filled with gargantuan hype, all the better IMHO.

Also, who is your source for "what they have in mind?" And how could you possibly know that for a fact? We are all guessing here based on what we're reading in the books. Not one of us here actually knows what they have in mind for a fact.

Outside of the first animated Cartoon i think DC has mistreated/taken the Teen Titans property for granted which is why its a shell of its former self.
    That is your opinion. I loved Dan Abnett's Titans Hunt and am thoroughly enjoying both his Titans ongoing monthly and also Priest's Deathstroke. I'm also looking forward to how Priest and Abnett (with editorial input from Geoff Johns) restore the history of the New Teen Titans in the year ahead.

For the first time in years, I foresee a bright future for the Titans franchise and am optimistic for what's to come.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

Based on everything we know at this point the Titans relationship is not being restored. If DC wanted to do that it would be easy and they would have done it right away not taking forever to do it and letting people grasp at tiny straws to come to that conclusion. No big event? No big marketing? No foreshadowing? Maybe it will happen down the road but thats not what the current leadership has in mind.

This! Especially the first paragraph. I thought the op was reaching with some of his points. But people get into attack mode when you go against something. I don't see how anyone benefits from having TT history being restored, other than the people who them all to be besties again. I really hope DC puts their foot down instead of caving in. We'll see!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    This! Especially the first paragraph. I thought the op was reaching with some of his points. But people get into attack mode when you go against something. I don't see how anyone benefits from having TT history being restored, other than the people who them all to be besties again. I really hope DC puts their foot down instead of caving in. We'll see!
    Uh.....what? For one thing, Cyborg wouldn't be walking affirmative action that NO ONE knows what to do with. I'm sorry, but cyborg being a founding member of the justice league is to this day one of the dumbest and most random continuity changes imaginable. It was literally just done because he's black, and because Johns is a cyborg fanboy. It's literally like trying to launch a Robin comic at the beginning of the new 52, but robin had absolutely nothing to do with batman, and any and all interaction or past relationship with the batman universe was severed or forbidden. Just dumb, like I literally have no clue why anyone thought it would be smart. Freaking Cyborg......just dumb. And I guess jimmy Olsen is a Bana mighdall Amazon, because......well, why not?!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    It was literally just done because he's black,
    Given how horribly unrepresentative DC's major icons are, that's sufficient reason.

And while having a Cyborg who was never a Titan might have been a risk, it was the least of many risks, and a risk worth taking if it meant not having the Justice League of Heterosexual White People continue as-is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Given how horribly unrepresentative DC's major icons are, that's sufficient reason.

And while having a Cyborg who was never a Titan might have been a risk, it was the least of many risks, and a risk worth taking if it meant not having the Justice League of Heterosexual White People continue as-is.
    No, having a character on a team JUST because they're a POC is tokenism. Whether Cyborg was stuck on the JL for creative reasons or just to add diversity is debatable IMO. But tokenism has been rightfully criticized for decades, and if it was the only reason for Cyborg's inclusion then that's a problem.