Retired

Default Tatiana Maslany, Emmy award winning actress

Tatiana Maslany has done something that I don't think anyone else has ever done.

A Canadian actress on a Canadian produced show, she's won the Emmy for playing multiple roles on a science fiction TV series, in which she stars. She ticks so many boxes that have never been marked before--I'm just surprised that nobody on the CBR boards has erupted in spasms of geek-fan-gasms, as yet.

Then let me be the first. If this little Canadian show that could can score an Emmy for its talented star, what other nerdist glass ceilings will be crashed next?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Tatiana Maslany has done something that I don't think anyone else has ever done.

A Canadian actress on a Canadian produced show, she's won the Emmy for playing multiple roles on a science fiction TV series, in which she stars. She ticks so many boxes that have never been marked before--I'm just surprised that nobody on the CBR boards has erupted in spasms of geek-fan-gasms, as yet.

Then let me be the first. If this little Canadian show that could can score an Emmy for its talented star, what other nerdist glass ceilings will be crashed next?
    She deserves it, IMO. Like Peter Sellers, she has that rare ability to create multiple characters that seem to be completely distinct individuals.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

When you got the news did you yell "YES!!!!!!!!!!!!" like i did?

BANNED

Don't Canadians win awards all the time? It's also a BBC America show, so it ain't exactly a Canadian production, even if it shots there, which is where many other American shows shot too. I'm still not sure this is a joke post, the op post, not my post.

Anyway, it does remind me how slow I've been to getting around to watching Orphan Black. I've been interested in watching it since before it came out, but for whoever reason I've just never watched it. The whatever reason mostly just being it's not on Netflix.

Retired

I think there's virtually no Canadian show that gets produced without some co-production agreement. Even MURDOCH MYSTERIES--which is about as Canadians as any TV show can be--is a Canada/UK co-production. Canada is a small country (in population though not size) and audiences here can't support a series on their own--almost every bit of Canadian entertainment content has to have some success abroad to make a profit.

In Canada, ORPHAN BLACK is seen on Space--a Canadian channel. With a mostly Canadian cast, the lead character played by a Canadian actress, the central location in Canada, the producers, writers, crew all working in Canada--to say that ORPHAN BLACK isn't Canadian is like saying Marvel's AVENGERS isn't American because it has participation and production outside the U.S and it's shown in theatres outside of America.

Anyway--getting away from the hair-splitting--the maple syrup content of ORPHAN BLACK wasn't the point of my original post. My point was that all these things combined make Maslany's win rare if not completely out of the ordinary. On this board we usually complain that science fiction series aren't taken seriously--and if they win any awards then it's for technical achievements. We complain that small productions don't get seen or acknowledged.

Even if you don't watch ORPHAN BLACK--the fact that such a series can get this kind of recognition should give hope to fans of other series on the fringes.

But yeah, I had a hard time believing that Tatiana Maslany actually won the award. I never thought it possible and I figured it had to be a hoax, a dream or an imaginary story.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I was so happy to see Maslany win. She deserved it so much for the amazing performance she gives on OB. To play that many characters and to make the viewers forget they are being played by the same actress is just amazing.

I didn't think she had a chance with the type of show OB is, and really figured the Emmy would go to one of the usual choices like Viola Davis or Taraji P Henson.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Anyway, it does remind me how slow I've been to getting around to watching Orphan Black. I've been interested in watching it since before it came out, but for whoever reason I've just never watched it. The whatever reason mostly just being it's not on Netflix.
    Are you sure?
    Even our tiny, limited edition of Netflix has it.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Good for her, it was long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Are you sure?
    I think it's on Amazon Prime over here.

I am very pleased to hear that a fellow Canadian has been recognized with such a prestigious award.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Incredible Member

It's great that she got recognized for her work. She makes each character unique not only in their voice but the mannerisms she has for each character.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Are you sure?
    In the US, it's on Amazon.

Incredible Member

about @#$@#$ time.

I'm a little late to the party on this thread but... wow.

Orphan Black is absolutely my favorite show on TV right now. Tatiana deserves this in so many ways. (And she looked so stunned when they said her name!)

It's funny... whenever they talk to her in interviews, and they start talking about the various clones... it sort of feels like they're talking about someone who isn't there, since Tatiana makes them seem so much like someone else entirely. (I think the key is how much thought she puts into body language to define the character.)

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Don't Canadians win awards all the time? It's also a BBC America show, so it ain't exactly a Canadian production, even if it shots there, which is where many other American shows shot too. I'm still not sure this is a joke post, the op post, not my post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think there's virtually no Canadian show that gets produced without some co-production agreement. Even MURDOCH MYSTERIES--which is about as Canadians as any TV show can be--is a Canada/UK co-production. Canada is a small country (in population though not size) and audiences here can't support a series on their own--almost every bit of Canadian entertainment content has to have some success abroad to make a profit.

In Canada, ORPHAN BLACK is seen on Space--a Canadian channel. With a mostly Canadian cast, the lead character played by a Canadian actress, the central location in Canada, the producers, writers, crew all working in Canada--to say that ORPHAN BLACK isn't Canadian is like saying Marvel's AVENGERS isn't American because it has participation and production outside the U.S and it's shown in theatres outside of America.
    Also... BBC is actually barely involved in the production. Basically, they're providing some funding and are an international distribution partner. Their only actual creative stipulation was they wanted a British main character. Hence... Sarah. They're doing nothing but writing checks. It's a Canadian production from a Canadian production house (Temple Street) with some UK funding. (And a good lot of the money is coming from Space/Bell Canada too.)