sinreaver

Default Is getting omnibus' signed a bad idea?

So I'm going to my first con, nycc and intend to get something signed by stan lee and chris claremont, problem is most of the stuff I have read by these two gentlemen have either been in digital or omnibus form. Is it a bad idea to get these signed since they have covers and they are generally glossy? If so should i wait until it get to the con to buy a single issue? Any help would be appreciated since i literally have no experience with this stuff, thanks.

Have them sign an interior page. Those aren't glossy.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    Have them sign an interior page. Those aren't glossy.
    Although I would say be careful with that. I damaged an Omnibus when an artist signed an interior page with a paint pen and I did not give it sufficient time to dry before shutting the book.

Probably the best place for a signature or sketch would be the endpaper at the front of the book. It's blank. It can be signed and sketched. It's not glossy paper. I had an artist sketch on the end paper for me in a different book and it turned out great.

Fantastic Member

Love getting omnibus/absolute/hardcovers signed (and newsprint comics, too). The downside is that even though I take less and less items for signings at a show, the items are getting bigger and bigger.... and heavier and heavier.

Carry your own ink pen and have them sign on one of the interior pages. That's the way most prose writers do book signings. It doesn't have to be felt tip or pain marker. Besides, signing the interior can occasionally lead to a fun signature. I have a couple of signed Astro City trades, where Kurt Busiek included a comment about a title page illustration, along with his signature.

All-New Member

I would say get whatever you want signed. As long as they are willing to sign it, bring what you would like. I think there is some very good advice in this thread about where to ask them to sign it. I would say to keep in mind that you are going to be carrying around whatever you get signed for as long as you are at the con. That means that you may want to think about bringing lighter books, and maybe packing them in such a way that they are protected. I will say that I went to NYCC two years ago, and Stan Lee was signing. For the price of the autograph, he provided a small poster that he signed.

All-New Member

I've gotten many of mine signed and don't regret it at all. In fact my goal has always been to get as many of my omnis and absolutes signed as possible. I generally have them sign the glossy front of the dustjacket and am just careful not to smear it and to leave it time to dry and have never had an issue with it.

In fact, I got tired of carrying 80 pounds of books around all day, so now whenever possible I just take the dustjackets off, leave the books at home, and take the dust jackets to cons. It lets me carry my entire collection with me in a hardback folder and it saves me the stress of having to choose books or guess who is going to be at cons.

I have always had mine get signed inside.

If you have a lot of heavy books to bring, i've seen some have about 10 plastic bins on hand trucks or trolleys at cons. Works out perfect for heavy stuff and the books are laid flat.

I made the mistake of bringing mine in my work bag and it scuffed up the spines of my iZombie omnie and SiP slipcase.

An omnibus is a book. The signature goes on the title page.