Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Default Batman is pretty smart when it comes to other DC heroes: how does he rank to the Marvel guys?

When Batman is surrounded by the other members of the JL, or the JLA from the old days he has no problem figuring out situations that even Super Man (who can read medical books and perform surgery in a matter of minutes) can't figure out.

Don't get me wrong; Bruce is one Smart SOB!

I love him.. but I have often wondered where he would fit "Smarts" wise in the Marvel universe. I know he is no Reed Richards, but would he be close??

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    When Batman is surrounded by the other members of the JL, or the JLA from the old days he has no problem figuring out situations that even Super Man (who can read medical books and perform surgery in a matter of minutes) can't figure out.

I love him.. but I have often wondered where he would fit "Smarts" wise in the Marvel universe. I know he is no Reed Richards, but would he be close??
    Tim Drake is smarter than Reed Richards and Tony Start put together.

Really depends upon your definition of smartness.

There is intellectual smartness...emotional smartness..and even within those two, there are several sub categories

Take for instance: Tony Stark. He is smarter than Bruce in some subjects (Engineering specifically). But, Bruce is definitely smarter than him in general (like street smarts).

Oh, and don't forget other factors, like habits. Luthor, for instance. He is definitely one of the smartest guys in DC universe (probably the smartest, but his ego and pride prevents him to harness his full intellectual prowess).
    Last edited by Triple J; 05-01-2014 at 08:21 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

I guess I would look at "Overall smarts"...Combine the street smarts, tech, detective abilities, and just all around "smart"!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post

Comparing Bruce to Reed Richards is apples to oranges, in my opinion. I'll admit that I haven't read a lot of really old stuff. But in the JLA I have read, Bruce is more of a tactical genius. He knows how to take down anyone. Reed is a scientific genius. He'll build you a time machine, but ask hims to plan an invasion of Apokolips and he'll be lost.

Their IQ levels are probably about the same, though.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Comparing Bruce to Reed Richards is apples to oranges, in my opinion. I'll admit that I haven't read a lot of really old stuff. But in the JLA I have read, Bruce is more of a tactical genius. He knows how to take down anyone. Reed is a scientific genius. He'll build you a time machine, but ask hims to plan an invasion of Apokolips and he'll be lost.

Thanks, I will have to take note of this

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    LMAO! This is sarcasm right?! I know Tim Drake is a genius as I've read just about all his apperances and I'm a fan, but this has to be a joke.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Spectacular Member

Thinking about it, I'm not sure who you would say is the greatest detective of the Marvel Universe. Wolverine is a tracker. Daredevil's heightened senses and legal knowledge is certainly formidable in detective work. Spider-man's mix of science and street smarts are shown to be an effective detective. Nick Fury has the single minded thirst for knowledge on friend and foe along with planning. Certainly Captain America is the tactical mind of the Marvel U.

Batman has a unique mix. I'd say for his tech, he obviously outsources quite a bit of work compared to the Marvel technical/scientific geniuses. Black Panther is comparable to Batman with a combination of wealth, technology, knowledge and fighting skills. I'd say he is probably the closest comparable character.

BANNED

Science:
    Mr. Fantastic
    Superman
    Batman

Detective work:
    Batman
    Superman
    Mr. Fantastic

It evens out...

The geniuses in Marvel kinda make Bruce look like a chump

There's Reed, Doom, Stark, Pym, Tchalla , Cho, McCoy etc

Or in DC, Metron and Braniac.

Bruce Wayne is....highly popular. Thats all I can say

Because by feats he doesnt crack the top 20 in a Marvel/DC combined list

Part of that is because of DCs lack of super geniuses whereas in Marvel every other guy makes Einstein look retarded

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Superman can read and comprehend an entire medical book in a second, he has Batman beat.

When it comes to MARVEL guys Tony Stark and Reed Richards are smarter than Bruce. Now if my life were on the line, and I had to choose someone to save me out of Iron Man, Mister Fantastic, and Batman...my money would be on Batman every time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    A Joke but Drake has looked better at science and engineering in the New 52. He has built some robots.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    A Joke but Drake has looked better at science and engineering in the New 52. He has built some robots.
    Call me when Tim Drake has journeyed to other dimensions and built suits of armor that can survive in deep space.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post

I think that's selling Reed pretty short. I mean Reed could build a time machine out a paperclip, two potatoes, and some magic markers.

Batman excels at planning, strategy and detective work. Unmatched really in that area. Marvel guys tend to get caught with their pants down pretty often lol.