Default Tim Seeley Reveals why he quitt Blade

I can't say I agree with his reasoning

“The short story is, I quit,” Seeley explained in an interview with Newsarama. “The long story is when Marvel hired me, I had just written ten years of a horror comic starring a female lead so I seemed like a good fit. So we threw around ideas of doing Blade’s daughter and when they announced it, Marvel was in a weird place because they had announced the hip-hop covers and a lot of people saw ‘here’s another black lead with an all-white creative team’ and you know it’s valid and definitely the case.”

Seeley agrees the criticism was justified, and not entirely unexpected, but Marvel worked with him to find a path forward. “After a while, I felt like it was me screwing this up. I couldn’t help but feel like a black woman might write this stuff better than me and saved them from me. In the wake of ‘Black Panther’ launching so well, maybe ‘Blade’ is the book they find new talent on.”
    More here
    We need better comics

I'm sure DC wanting him to go exclusive helped make the decision to step aside much easier.

Weak reasoning imo.

One would think a capable writer wouldn't have this inferiority complex when writing characters they don't relate to personally. I mean, it's their job.

I wasn't even aware there were so many against Seeley writing a female PoC. I feel like his exclusive contract with DC was a bigger influence in leaving the book than he's letting on.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

I was looking forward seeing his take on this book, but I also appreciate that his stance adds to the dialogue of opening the doors to more writers, especially POC.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I'm sure DC wanting him to go exclusive helped make the decision to step aside much easier.
    Yeah, I think it's pretty simple. Doing very well at DC nowadays.