BANNED

Happy Birthday to the late GREAT Steve Gerber!!!

Steve Gerber (center) is responsible for off-beat 1970s stories and character, such as Howard the Duck, the Defenders and Man-Thing.

When and What He Did at Timely/Atlas/Marvel: Writer throughout the 1970s, returning to the publisher to do occasional work in the late 1980s and 1990s.

Marvel-ous Accomplishments: Three words are synonymous with Gerber as comic book writer: Howard the Duck. It’s a character that one generation knows as being one of the hippest things published in the 1970s, another generation bemoans as being the star of arguably the worst film of the 1980s, and another generation recognizes as that feathered alien sharing a drink with Benicio Del Toro in the post-credits scene of the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.
    While much of Gerber’s fame and notoriety (the writer took legal action against Marvel over the character’s rights, leading to an ugly falling out with the publisher in the early 1980s), it was far from the writer’s only significant output for Marvel. Gerber was ahead of his time as a master of blending off-beat yet sharp satire with big and brassy fight comics on such titles as The Defenders, Omega the Unknown and Man-Thing.
    While almost any hack can superficially pull off a grim-and-gritty, noir for dummies Frank Miller pastiche or overwrite and over-subplot like Chris Claremont with some amount of competency, any pretenders to the throne who tried to ape Gerber’s style always look ridiculous.

Waugh!!!!!!

Ultimate Member

I think that's been the biggest problem Marvel's had with continuing Howard The Duck. It wasn't a formula comic. What made it work was that it was so much a product of Steve's own personality.

BANNED

Happy birthday to the iconic Steve Gerber. Thanks for the many adventures of Howard the Duck.

BANNED

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think that's been the biggest problem Marvel's had with continuing Howard The Duck. It wasn't a formula comic. What made it work was that it was so much a product of Steve's own personality.
    I think so too.

BANNED

Happy Birthday Steve!!

I loved those early Defenders issues---Thank you so much!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Happy birthday to the iconic Steve Gerber. Thanks for the many adventures of Howard the Duck.
    Hear! Hear!

BANNED

At 6:15 Scott Edelman presents a fascinating long-lost interview with comic book writer Steve Gerber
    about his time on The Defenders, Man-Thing and other Marvel comics.

BANNED

The TOP 13 Steve Gerber HOWARD THE DUCK Comics https://13thdimension.com/the-top-13...e-duck-comics/

Happy Birthday Steve Gerber!

You inspired my love of the Defenders, The Headmen and The Guardians of the Galaxy! You are definitely one of my favorites!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Indeed, Happy Birthday! Here's a countdown of My Top (3) Three favorite Gerber runs from MARVEL:

3. Guardians of the Galaxy

2. Man-Thing

1. Howard the Duck