Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Anything that gets you arrested for public indecency is not a good choice for a superhero team.
    Someone should make this joke in-universe (although maybe they already have) .

Astonishing Member

I don't know if Dave Cockrum ever explained the insignia, but I have a theory. Dave was a huge fan of the original Captain Marvel (Billy Batson). I think the design is lightning bolt -- reflective of the original Captain Marvel. I think it's a subtle homage-- because obviously, the bolt is different than the one Billy Batson has as C.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Never forget

Attachment 60010
    Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I understand you point of view, but I think it's just a matter of what works better in print. The Cockrum design could be tweaked. If the swimsuit aspect is a problem -- just add some red tights and lose the sash -- or maybe fill in the gap between the trunks and the boots if the sash stays (maybe the sash is dated -- and could be replaced by a modern red belt).

The only think her current outfit says to me is that she has lost her design sense and sense of fun. Drab, dreary, militaristic -- ugh!
    Isn't the sash the scarf that is from the original outfit?

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I understand you point of view, but I think it's just a matter of what works better in print. The Cockrum design could be tweaked. If the swimsuit aspect is a problem -- just add some red tights and lose the sash -- or maybe fill in the gap between the trunks and the boots if the sash stays (maybe the sash is dated -- and could be replaced by a modern red belt).

The only think her current outfit says to me is that she has lost her design sense and sense of fun. Drab, dreary, militaristic -- ugh!
    Man, hard disagree. I think the uniform is way more visually interesting and dynamic than the leotard was. Black's a colour that never looks bad, of course, but it's pretty basic. Blue and red complement each other well. It's a Classic Hero colour scheme. It's the Superman colour scheme. It works. The gold accents keep things more interesting, and the red sash is the perfect accessory.

The black leotard looked fine, but the blue-and-red uniform looks inspiring. It conveys a greater sense of leadership than the black ever could have.

Drab? They're bold colours. Arciniega's colouring makes it look a little washed-out, but that's just his style on the book. He goes with softer palettes. Dreary? It's inspiring. Militaristic? It evokes the military, because that's an important part of her character.

As for her sense of fun, a lot of that actually comes down to the writing and the art. Body language makes a huge difference. Her current series is a good example of that, as the art does get across the impression that she's fun, when she can be. A hard-ass when she has to be. Meanwhile, even in her black costume, plenty of artists made her look very serious, sometimes joyless. Sometimes because they were so busy making her pose, rather than trying to give her a natural body language.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Carol's old costume never really fit the character. I've always felt good superhero costumes say something about the character.

Superman's Is essentially an oldtimey wrestler's get up, hinting at his strength and physical prowess.

Black Widow's costume says "I'm a sleeky sexy super spy."

Spiderman's costume says I have spider powers.

That's why Carol's old costume doesn't work for me.

Look at this costume.

Now if you had no prior knowledge of the character do you think you would be able to decipher anything about her from this costume? probably not. It really doesn't say anything other then she is a generic female superhero. Even the insignia on her chest doesn't say anything. Most chest insignia's on heroes tend to be their logo. But in her case it just seems to be a random squiggly line. (I think it's suppose to be a comet but I doubt most people could decipher that).

now look at this costume.

This costume actually tells you things about the character. The overall militaristic feel of the costume hints at her military past. The star on her chest hints at the cosmic nature of her powers etc. I think nostalgia makes the old costume seem better for the character then it really is.

Her new costume looks like a generic female superhero. But agree-disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    There is nothing more Generic Female Superhero than a swimsuit. That is the most generic look possible for a female superhero. Until a few years ago, swimsuits made up, like, half of female superhero costumes. That's probably an exaggeration, but not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    There is nothing more Generic Female Superhero than a swimsuit. That is the most generic look possible for a female superhero. Until a few years ago, swimsuits made up, like, half of female superhero costumes. That's probably an exaggeration, but not by much.
    When you think about it skintight bodysuits and swimsuits/leotards are about as basic for female Superhero costumes as you can get at this point (and bodysuits are basically the basic of the basic as far as costumes go).

The important factor is in how they differentiate from one another.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Look at this costume.

Now if you had no prior knowledge of the character do you think you would be able to decipher anything about her from this costume?
    Well...
    She's got a latex fetish.
    The lightning bolt indicates some kind of electricity powers. And the sash says her origin is probably related to the Phoenix Force. Jean Grey had one exactly like it when she was the Phoenix.

Look, I have no problem with Carol's Red, Blue, and Gold body suit. But something has to be done with her hair! Butch Carol looks way too masculine.

Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    Disagree. Carol as drawn today looks nothing like a female.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

The EMH design would be a good compromise IMO. She has the red and blue design, yet she shows some skin and looks like a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    You mean the one with bare legs? Hardly useful in combat, but perfect for any woman who is super-strong as Carol Danvers.
    This is a comic book character we’re talking about. It’s not real life. Appearances should take precedence over practicality.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    The EMH design would be a good compromise IMO. She has the red and blue design, yet she shows some skin and looks like a woman.
    Why is absolutely necessary that she shows skin? Nobody demands that Captain America shows some skin. How does the other one not look like a woman?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Why is absolutely necessary that she shows skin? Nobody demands that Captain America shows some skin. How does the other one not look like a woman?
    She has a bad haircut. Only men have bad haircuts. Also bad haircut automatically eliminates hips, breasts, skeletal structure and other physical features from women.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Nah.

The black and gold Ms Marvel costume with red sash is Ms Marvel. Those pics are a beautiful!
    Oh hell no. As a female reader, the old style hip boots have got to go. That is so badly out of date. It looks like a bad wrestler get up. GLOW or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    What her new Capt Marvel costume tells me is that it is a bad design and ugly costume for Carol.
    Must disagree here. The only thing I don't like is the hair. Some artists have a hard time getting it right. But it reminds me of when Charlize Theron would have short hair.

If it was possible, she would have made a great Captain Marvel. Or a Sue Storm.