View Poll Results: Since 2010 you were happiest with DC comics...

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre Flashpoint

39 29.10%
  • During The New 52

25 18.66%
  • Since Rebirth

70 52.24%
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    You haven't watched a Snyder movie lately, have you?
    Besides of Batman vs Superman, no i havent.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    I did! it was a very good origin story - for Commissioner Gordon. Although there was this one scene that stuck out to me:

In which Bruce, broken and bleeding in his father's armchair after an encounter with some thugs, encounters a bat that causes him to rethink his approach to dealing with criminals. It's too bad Zero Year never had anything like that buhwhaaaa?

Look! There's Bruce, broken and bleeding in his father's armchair after an encounter with some (of Red Hood One's) thugs, encountering (a Palantir from his dad that projects the batcave into the study, revealing) a bat that causes him to rethink his approach to dealing with criminals. Just implant Miller's scene (which I think is a bit more smooth than Snyder's) with Snyder's context and you've maintained the basic thread of Zero Year with some Miller imagery instead.

(And I guess you could retcon in a panel of Gordon cheating on his wife in the story after the origin).
    So, no, you haven't read it. Because if you think that the only thing that YO had to offer was the "I shall become a bat" scene, then you either completely missed the entire point of that story or just didn't read it.

YO is about a vigilante who has grown fed up with the corruption and disparity that has run rampant in Gotham and sets out to give hope to the masses who have been taken advantage of. Hence the other, and maybe even more famous, scene that pretty much verbalized the whole theme of the story.

Positioning Batman as this gritty, down-to-earth hero basically set the tone of Batman comics ever since. And albeit, while it may have roots from even before Miller, it has defined the Batman that everybody has come to know and love. And again, it served as the basis of the most beloved interpretation of Batman in modern cinema: the Nolan trilogy. Miller's themes are very heavily emphasized in Batman Begins and have become an integral part of Batman's world and mythology. The theme is this: Gotham is hell, run by corrupt people who believe themselves above the law, and Batman rises up to take the city back from them. Not some ragtag group of Red Hoods or the Riddler...but the people who ran the city itself.

So tell me. Does Zero Year have anything remotely related to that central theme? No. No it doesn't. Instead, it opts for a clichéd story about a madman with a scheme to take over the city and turns it into a post-apocalyptic landscape...apparently only in the space of a few days.

And as for YO being about Gordon. Well, its about Bruce and Gordon coming together. Its about the formation of an alliance that is so central to Batman comics. So of course Gordon is a primary character. It also contextualizes how Gordon recognizes the need for an ally outside of the law enforcement infrastructure to help clean up Gotham. And that ally, of course, is Batman.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 10-03-2016 at 09:14 PM.