Amazing Member

Default X-23 where should I start?

X-23 intrigues me, but I have no clue where to begin. Should I start with NYX, her 2005 series or her 2011? Somewhere else?
    Last edited by whitewolf; 09-21-2016 at 01:08 AM.

My thought would be to drop $10 on Marvel Unlimited and go through her appearances chronologically. So I think that would be:
    X-23: Innocence Lost
    X-23: Target X
    NYX
    Uncanny X-Men (I think consensus is that this is pretty skippable, though)
    New X-Men: Academy X
    Kyle & Yost's X-Force
    X-23 (1-shot)
    X-23 (2005, crosses over with Dark Wolverine for Collision)
    Avengers Academy (starting with #21)
    Avengers Arena
    All New X-Men v 1
    Wolverines
    All New Wolverine

I'm sure there are other fans here who'll be by to point out any gaps I've left.

You should start with X-23: Innocence Lost, a 6-issue miniseries, and then read X-23: Target X, another 6-issue miniseries. Those 12 issues cover her origins and they're also some of the best X-23 comics you'll find. After that I'd suggest skipping to the X-23 one-shot followed by her 2010 solo series X-23, both written by Marjorie Liu. After that, you can start on her current solo series, All-New Wolverine. If by this time you're dying for more, check out her appearances in the team books X-Force and New X-Men (starting at issue 20). I wouldn't recommend any of the other team books, like the Avengers books, All-New X-Men and Wolverines. You can certainly read them if you're dying for more, but you'll likely be disappointed by the quality and sometimes confused by how X-23 seems to be written like a totally different character.

Definitely start with X-23: Innocence Lost. That is the definitive X-23 story. It establishes her origins, her character, and so much more. Plus, it's a really great story. It'll leave a lump in your throat at the end for all the right reasons. After that, Marjorie Liu's run on X-23 is right up there as well. She took X-23 in some new directions that were really fun. There's so much more to read, but those are the two runs I would start off with.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Mandatories:

X-23: Innocence Lost - Origin Part I
    X-23: Target: X - Origin Part II
    X-23 One-shot
    X-23 Ongoing
    All-New Wolverine

Good to Read

NYX - First appearance
    New X-Men Vol. 2 (the Kyle and Yost issues)
    X-Force Vol. 3 (Kyle and Yost) - Sets up the ongoing series by Liu.
    The Logan Legacy / Wolverines - Laura deals with the fallout of Logan's death. The last issue of Wolverines was seriously infuriating because of mass PIS by anyone not named "Mystique," but the series as a whole helps move her towards becoming Wolverine
    Captain Universe: X-23 - A relatively minor story, but it's Laura's first encounter with the Enigma Force, and helps establish some context when it turns up again during the Liu series.

Skippable, but Readable

Uncanny X-Men - First appearance after NYX. Most has been retconned by Target: X or disregarded by later writers. Claremont just didn't really have a handle on her.
    Avengers Academy - She didn't have much to do, but she did get to play the Only Sane Man for the ENTIRETY of Avengers vs. X-Men fustercluck. Seeing her call Logan and Emma out on their bullshit over Schism and AvX is worth the price of admission alone.
    Avengers Arena - She actually wasn't badly-written, here. The series is extremely polarizing, however, and she has a MAJOR moment of PIS partway through.
    All-New X-Men Vol. 1 - I'm going to say it: Bendis actually wasn't as bad as we like to remember. ESPECIALLY compared to what Hopeless has done with her. It's important only in that it sets up a couple parts of her current status quo.
    X-Men: To Serve And Protect - Laura had a minor side-story where she encounters Ghost Rider. Not particularly important, but there's a nice moment where she asks him to use his Pennance Stare on her both to see if it even works (you have to have a soul, and that was a major conflict for her in the Liu series) AND because she believes she deserves it.
    Circle of Four - She has quite a bit to do in this series, and is written pretty well overall. Plus it has ominous implications for the future...assuming a writer remembers it happened and decides to follow-up on it.

Avoid Like The Plague

All-New X-Men Vol. 2 - The Hopeless! It burns! Seriously, I don't know who that is wearing the Wolverine cowl, but it is NOT Laura.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 09-21-2016 at 05:29 AM.

Wow this thread came at the perfect time for me. Just finished X-Force vol 3 and the Messiah saga and wanted to know where to go regarding Laura...I'm gonna go back to Innocence Lost...
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

The X-23 solo series are being collected in two books: "X-23 Complete Collection" Volumes 1 and 2. Volume 1 came out a few months ago (I think in July) and Volume 2 is out in November. Those collected Innocence Lost, Target X, the one-shot, the Captain Universe one-shot, and her solo series.

There is also an NYX Complete Collection.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Taral-DLOS View Post
    The X-23 solo series are being collected in two books: "X-23 Complete Collection" Volumes 1 and 2. Volume 1 came out a few months ago (I think in July) and Volume 2 is out in November. Those collected Innocence Lost, Target X, the one-shot, the Captain Universe one-shot, and her solo series.

Oooh, forgot about the Captain Universe one-shot. File that under "Good to Read" since it helps establish context for the "Chaos Theory" arc of the Liu series.

Quote Originally Posted by Taral-DLOS View Post

Laura only shows up in the first NYX series, so picking it up the NYX Complete Collection only for her it is a bit unnecessary, the normal trade would do.

The best place to start, if you prefer trades, would be the X-23 Ultimate Collection volume 1. It includes both Innocence Lost and Target X (her two origin minis), and the first 3 issues of X-23's solo series written by Marjorie Liu. It only released about a month ago so it should be easy to order online.