Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Superman 7 Discussion

This was another fantastic issue. Tomasi nails the characters down to their core and the art is just fantastic.

And I literally laughed out loud at the last page.

BANNED

Easily the best issue so far and it was helped a lot by the expressive art. There was nothing outright bad about this issue. Even the bit with Lois preferring Clark not do his superhero thing on their night out was playful teasing, instead of been played for drama. The art is what really made it work, but even the writing was decent.

It was a cute issue.

But I liked Trinity #1 more even if it had more noticeable flaws.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 09-21-2016 at 01:42 AM.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

This issue confirmed a conviction that's been building up in me for awhile now: Tomasi should not be writing regular superhero comics. His action scenes are crap, his plot exposition is always rough, his coolest ideas are always in passing. Except the pretty celebratory last issue, the whole of his first arc bore that out. It's when he just has people talking that his comics work, hence why this was the best issue of a mainline Superman comic in at least a year, and of the Superman book proper since...Busiek's run 7+ years ago? Everything about this was perfect, enough that I'm going to try the next few issues on the hope that he was just coasting through editorial mandate for the first arc and now his run is really going to begin. But even in the likely event he continues to be in my opinion unsuited to write regular Superman comics, I'd set down money every month for the rest of my life on his Smith Family stories with Jimenez. The timeline stuff still needs - needs - to be corrected, but this is the first thing to come out of the whole Superman Rebirth debacle to make me think that I could definitely be okay with this being The Superman going forward.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 09-21-2016 at 03:07 AM.
    Buh-bye

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

This issue doesn't want me to stop smiling. Some genuine laughs in this issue. For some time now, I've been wondering how Tomasi and Gleason would handle a single issue story. I've mainly been thinking about it because their next three arcs will be two issue long each. I must admit, I was was worried how well they'd flow and move from beat to beat. My fears are alleviated with Superman issue #7. This issue is so much fun!

One of my favorite parts is how Tomasi and Gleason create these little background stories peppered throughout this issue.really gives the book a sense of "fullness"--in a good way. There's even set up for the next arc. It's almost a Morrison-like blink and you'll miss it moment (I only recognized it because I have a description of the next arc to look back at). This actually makes me more interested in what other bread crumbs they left in past 6 issues ( I can already think of a few).

Jon is cute AF. There I said! He could've easily been annoying this issue, but between the art and the situations (+ the "mustache" part) made him legit cute. Side note: you'll all be happy to know that Clark apologizes to Kathy's granddad for his rudeness in issue #2.

The Lois and Clark back and forth is actually pretty sweet, and actually feels organic. The ending was done perfectly--like actually perfect.

I'd say this beats out issue 5 for my favorite issue of the book. This book just edges out a surprisingly strong start to Trinity, for me. Great way to end the month! I highly recommend picking this issue up (also pick up Trinity issue #1 too!).

Now, next month......DINOSAURS!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    This issue confirmed a conviction that's been building up in me for awhile now: Tomasi should not be writing regular superhero comics. His action scenes are crap, his plot exposition is always rough, his coolest ideas are always in passing. Except the pretty celebratory last issue, the whole of his first arc bore that out. It's when he just has people talking that his comics work, hence why this was the best issue of a mainline Superman comic in at least a year, and of the Superman book proper since...Busiek's run 7+ years ago? Everything about this was perfect, enough that I'm going to try the next few issues on the hope that he was just coasting through editorial mandate for the first arc and now his run is really going to begin. But even in the likely event he continues to be in my opinion unsuited to write regular Superman comics, I'd set down money every month for the rest of my life on his Smith Family stories with Jimenez. The timeline stuff still needs - needs - to be corrected, but this is the first thing to come out of the whole Superman Rebirth debacle to make me think that I could definitely be okay with this being The Superman going forward.
    I genuinely think the bulk of his short comings in the first arc were do to--what seemed to be editorial mandated (likely to get some room for the arcs to come)--padding.Yet he still managed--to me--a strong first arc. I actually think this is why his next few arcs are only two parters each. He even manages to economize the space in this issue to set up quite a few concepts and plots (new job?).

Most importantly though, I'm really glad you enjoyed this issue as much as you did. I'm also super glad you'll be reading the next arc (dinosaur punching!!)

This was incredibly heartwarming. So many good moments and little things that made me smile. That look on Clark's face with all the candy, him helping out League members, just... everything. I miss feeling this way when it comes to superhero comics. The art though, man I'm even more hype for Supersons now. Looking forward to the next issue with dinosaurs!
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I genuinely think the bulk of his short comings in the first arc were do to--what seemed to be editorial mandated (likely to get some room for the arcs to come)--padding.Yet he still managed--to me--a strong first arc. I actually think this is why his next few arcs are only two parters each. He even manages to economize the space in this issue to set up quite a few concepts and plots (new job?).

Most importantly though, I'm really glad you enjoyed this issue as much as you did. I'm also super glad you'll be reading the next arc (dinosaur punching!!)
    I agree it switching to only two-parters is probably a really good thing. Like I said, he's not great at action/exposition padding, but I could absolutely see him putting out some all-killer-no-filler adventure stories that cut right to the chase. He's always best at the single issue, so moving to essentially that format could very well fix the bulk of my problems with him - which I'd be more than happy with, because god am I ready to start loving Superman comics again.

And yeah, I definitely think a lot of that first arc came down to editorial. Everything with the Eradicator felt like classic "there because it has to be there" storytelling, and given all the other structural and character similarities to Death/Return of Superman lately, I wouldn't be surprised if that was exactly the case.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    I agree it switching to only two-parters is probably a really good thing. Like I said, he's not great at action/exposition padding, but I could absolutely see him putting out some all-killer-no-filler adventure stories that cut right to the chase. He's always best at the single issue, so moving to essentially that format could very well fix the bulk of my problems with him - which I'd be more than happy with, because god am I ready to start loving Superman comics again.
    I really hope these books get there for you, man! I love seeing my friends enjoying Superman books. It makes me like the books even more

I remember hearing that Tomasi was a favorite of Morrison's. During the whole Turth and Last Days stuff, I questioned the validity of this idea. But given the fact that Morrison loves idea of the comic book "haiku", then Tomasi being more of a single issue type of guy might validate this. The way he economized space in this single issue to set up for future arc--but never lost sight of the fun of the issue in front of us--makes me think of this. He's also a fan of high concept.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I really enjoyed the first arc, but this was definitely needed. Like Clementine said, Jimenez does some heavy lifting and I wonder if they specifically had him do this one on the strengths of his style.

With the first arc over, it's gonna hurt if the Brandens aren't normal people.

This was absolutely amazing. Didn't even feel like filler to me since we got so many name drops that I feel will be important soon enough. Really breathing life into this town of theirs.

Also, Jimenez is starting to become my favorite artist.

Always Rakzo

Holy dancing crap! Jimenez absolutely DESTROYED IT on artwork, is the best I've seen from him by far. It might be because he doesn't have to handle terrible stuff like Daniel H. Wilson's tenure on Earth 2 but his sense of pacing and overall storytelling is much improved.

The story itself is pretty charming and offers tons of fun moments, wish that Tomasi would focus more on this kind of little tales.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Jimenez has been a really strong artist with style to match storytelling since Kid Flash, so I'd say it was the impression you got from that story, haha.

But he's a particularly massive benefit to the line and going by Twitter, quite the fan.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Jimenez has been a really strong artist with style to match storytelling since Kid Flash, so I'd say it was the impression you got from that story, haha.
    Oh, I do enjoy Jimenez' work, his art in Superboy perfectly complemented the story that Kuder created but something happened to him during his time alongside Wilson on Earth 2. It still LOOKED great but the pacing and storytelling were all over the place, mind you, this was mostly likely because Wilson doesn't even know what pacing and storytelling actually are (along with other things that figuratively and literally killed the line) but even with that in mind, his work here is still a massive improvement over what I've seen from him in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Oh, I do enjoy Jimenez' work, his art in Superboy perfectly complemented the story that Kuder created but something happened to him during his time alongside Wilson on Earth 2. It still LOOKED great but the pacing and storytelling were all over the place, mind you, this was mostly likely because Wilson doesn't even know what pacing and storytelling actually are (along with other things that figuratively and literally killed the line) but even with that in mind, his work here is still a massive improvement over what I've seen from him in recent years.
    You don't know how much I miss that Superboy run. It was so good.
    It made me like Jon Lane Kent

Amazing Member

This issue was seriously cuteness overload! I found no fault with it at all, it was brilliant. This run has continued to impress me.