Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Earth-2 Refugee View Post
    I didn't really have a favorite issue of Superman until I read this. Hands down, without a doubt, my favorite issue of Superman, and I can't wait to see what happens next.
    It was amazing. A one-issue story that masterfully encapsulates the small-town side of the atmosphere of Superman and Superman's desire and ability to help the other heroes (and Lois was wonderful too, played a central role in the issue being so strong). Can't believe so many people are saying "Wha?! This isn't Superman!"

From the start the reaction from Jon when his dad says he's gonna join them is perfection, Lois face at the end was priceless, all the stuff in the middle great an I love me some small town living. Obviously she wouldn't really have a problem with him stopping dangerous armed robbers but like so many great moments since rebirth it feels like the comic being fun is the most important goal.

Spectacular Member Earth-2 Refugee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    This is what I imagine Tom King looks like over on the Batman side looking at the Superman books.

Don't be sad Mr. King, we'd love to have you over, but lose the cowl

Seriously though, I just read a comment about how envious a Batman fan was of the current Superman line. I'm personally diggin' King's Batman, but it doesn't seem to resonate with other Bat fans. This, plus his interest in the character, are my main sources of hope. I think he'd fit in well with current Superman.
    I too love King's Batman, but apparently most people don't. I'm loving Superman right now as well, but haven't been reading the Superman line. Action Comics didn't hook me with Doomsday, wasn't interested in Supergirl working for the DEO, and Superwoman didn't hook me. Also didn't like the first issue of New Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Cyke View Post
    It was amazing. A one-issue story that masterfully encapsulates the small-town side of the atmosphere of Superman and Superman's desire and ability to help the other heroes (and Lois was wonderful too, played a central role in the issue being so strong). Can't believe so many people are saying "Wha?! This isn't Superman!"
    There isn't a single thing I would change in this comic. That's how much I love it! This is Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    From the start the reaction from Jon when his dad says he's gonna join them is perfection, Lois face at the end was priceless, all the stuff in the middle great an I love me some small town living. Obviously she wouldn't really have a problem with him stopping dangerous armed robbers but like so many great moments since rebirth it feels like the comic being fun is the most important goal.
    Yeah, I would say Lois's reaction came mostly from Clark lying about it. Even then, it was a hilarious moment and great finisher.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, I would say Lois's reaction came mostly from Clark lying about it. Even then, it was a hilarious moment and great finisher.
    Clark is so sleeping on the couch.

Astonishing Member

In tone this seemed like an early Smallville episode, with Clark spending time with his family or friends and trying to avoid the temptation of dealing with the meteor freak of the week (when he promises to be a Lana's party but has to deal with the fat sucking Amy Adams for example). A really great, fun issue with a fantastic cast of characters that flesh out the community the Superfamily is becoming a part of. Loved when Clark and Lois inquire about job opportunities with the local paper and give an simultaneous and awkward not really to being asked about previous newspaper experience.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It felt more like Tomasi and Gleason were calling back to how Lois is a reporter and needs to be able to prove her theories. Look at her reaction when he hands over his cape. She doesn't buy it for a minute. Lois isn't the least bit bothered that he didn't keep that promise, she wouldn't recognize him if he did.

But she smelled the truth and the reporter in her needed to uncover it. Everyone in this issue was characterized so damn well.

Astonishing Member

Digging the Superman line a lot right now. Probably the most I've dug it since, oh, Last Stand of New Krypton, and even then, all the great promise of Brainiac/New Krypton kind of overindulged so my interest dwindled as it went - though it was momentarily repeaked by Black Ring (Luthor) and the Jimmy specials. Anyhow, I liked this issue a lot as a break or sort of inventory issue. Not for nothing, but while it was clearly a sort of odd one-off between big arcs episode, I do actually consider Clark and Lois, and Johnny, being normal balanced humans with a nice balance of rural and metropolitan, and living normal lives even though they can't help but also be super all the time. It's pretty intrinsic to my whole view of Superman stories and one of the things I'll constantly yammer about whenever I write in a "HOW TO FIX THE SUPERMAN LINE?" topic is you know, the fact that I'm actually more interested in Clark Kent and his civilian identity and job than I am the relative simple monster-punching of his Superman gig. Because I am a Clark Kent, not a Bruce Wayne. Clark is the figure I can identify with the most in all of comics.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I don't think Lois even cared that he fibbed. It was clearly played for laughs and she wasn't seriously mad. She was just playing with him because he, of his own volition, said he wouldn't do any patrolling. This is fine and does not fall into overbearing wife territory.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't think Lois even cared that he fibbed. It was clearly played for laughs and she wasn't seriously mad. She was just playing with him because he, of his own volition, said he wouldn't do any patrolling. This is fine and does not fall into overbearing wife territory.
    No, this was damn near perfect Clark-Lois interaction.

Lois and Clark bust each other's balls. Its always been that way, and that's how it should remain. They banter, they bicker, they verbally spare because they enjoy it, they support each other and love each other 100%.

Things Lois has done that are not cool? Accusing Clark of having an affair because a teenager (who would have been born long before Clark and Lois started dating) claimed, with no proof, to be Superman's daughter.

Blaming Clark for the death of her father, despite it not being his fault, and then traveling the world for months while utterly ignoring him. This of course was immediately after the Imperiex War when Clark was clearly suffering from PTSD and seeing a therapist.

Accusing Clark of sleeping with Lana after finding some of her clothes in their apartment. Never mind that Clark had nearly been killed while Lois was traveling the world, Lois knew how badly he had been hurt and didnt come home, which forced Lana to care for Clark while he was recovering.

Those are things Lois has done that are not cool. What happened in issue 7 was, like the rest of the issue, damn fine comics and damn fine Superman.

Damn you Tomasi for making me like this book.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'm a bit late to the party, but man, that was one of the best Superman issues I've ever read. The standalone feel was great and left me a lot more satisfied than I usually am with a single issue in a series. The "thank you" moments helped firmly establish Superman's importance in the current DCU. Superman in a family context is working out just as well as I thought it could, and it's nice to see the family building a new life in this small farming community. The classic "no powers" rule storyline was done charmingly, Lois's voice was perfect, and Jon is becoming a very likable kid. Good-natured, but endearingly lacking a little bit of tact. Definitely looking forward to what comes next. The tone of the story going forward can change, but it will have a solid foundation.