Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

So this is what the future for the superman line has in store, superman having to comprimise being a superhero to be a family man and Lois giving him crap when he breaks that promise, and John being super excitable with his anime styled jumps for joy. Sigh.

I loved it. All of it. It's fun, it's cute, it's different. A nice mix of things, between this and the last arc.

Not everything needs to be ultra-serious brooding.. 'bout time DC learned that. Hope it sticks.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    So this is what the future for the superman line has in store, superman having to comprimise being a superhero to be a family man and Lois giving him crap when he breaks that promise, and John being super excitable with his anime styled jumps for joy. Sigh.
    You're taking something lighthearted way too seriously. lol.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    You're taking something lighthearted way too seriously. lol.
    No way!!!!

This is my first Superman book and this issue made the book my fave comic of Rebirth.

Last two pages had me laughing for minutes.

This was a fun read. It almost felt like the kind of story you'd get from a holiday annual issue, but that's not a knock against it at all.

And Jimenez is just fantastic. I'm happy that this book has such a great art team.

This was a great issue in that instead of being hunted down by a supervillain like first arc we actually get to see Clark, Jon, and Lois interact like a real loving family, in other words it was fun. I loved seeing Clark trying to both be a loving family man while also trying to be the courageous hero that he is.

Other then that I feel as though we are also really setting up for Jon's Supersons series here by exploring more of what he's doing and his childhood friends and teacher. Overall a really fun issue.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    This issue confirmed a conviction that's been building up in me for awhile now: Tomasi should not be writing regular superhero comics. His action scenes are crap, his plot exposition is always rough, his coolest ideas are always in passing. Except the pretty celebratory last issue, the whole of his first arc bore that out. It's when he just has people talking that his comics work, hence why this was the best issue of a mainline Superman comic in at least a year, and of the Superman book proper since...Busiek's run 7+ years ago? Everything about this was perfect, enough that I'm going to try the next few issues on the hope that he was just coasting through editorial mandate for the first arc and now his run is really going to begin. But even in the likely event he continues to be in my opinion unsuited to write regular Superman comics, I'd set down money every month for the rest of my life on his Smith Family stories with Jimenez. The timeline stuff still needs - needs - to be corrected, but this is the first thing to come out of the whole Superman Rebirth debacle to make me think that I could definitely be okay with this being The Superman going forward.
    Wow, I'll have to glance over this one if you feel so strongly about it. The Gleason art work is great but I just do not like this take on Superman.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

This was a fun/cute issue, and like Green Lanterns #7 was a fun and much needed reprive between storyarcs. Its nice when a book takes a break from all the action and just focuses on a fun slice of life story. Seeing the White family spend a day at the fair, and Clark trying to sneak in a little superheroing without Lois finding out was fun. Overall a great read.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

While I still think that, unless they plan on New 52 Superman coming back too, this Superman has to be fully integrated into this Earth's past and they need to be the Kents again and all that jazz, Hamilton County can stay. I really like the vibe of the small farming community. If it becomes so that this Superman is the true Superman of this Earth/ IS New 52 Superman/or whatever else they might conjure up to explain it, they most definitely should not move back into the city proper. I think they've already established that its a short commute to the city, so there's no issue there in Lois getting to work.

And while certainly a nice man, Mr Branden sure does seem intent on getting Jon in the company of a doctor....hmm.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-21-2016 at 04:43 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I'm at the point where I'm enjoying the fun of the stories that I'm cool with letting things hang for a while. I love Hamilton County (Gleason is a Midwesterner and he says he had a really fun time capturing the feel of the place) and I love the idea of Clark working for a small-time paper while. The women passing them out seems like she'll be an interesting character. I even love the idea of Lois having a sort of heroic persona in her "Lois Lane" role at the Planet. It really rounds out the whole family and makes them all seem extraordinary. This whole thing is turning out to be far more imaginative than I anticipated. I know by 2018 (Justice League movie and Action #1000) we'll be back to Clark and Lois Kent--with the addition of Jon Kent--but for now, I'm down with this ride they're taking us on.

Also can we talk for a second about the fact that Jon's elementary school science project is going to somehow equal punching dinosaurs!! That's SO freakin' cool and Superman that I can't believe it!!

BANNED

This is the best reviewed issue of any Rebirth comic.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Wow, I'll have to glance over this one if you feel so strongly about it. The Gleason art work is great but I just do not like this take on Superman.
    I don't know whether or not it'll be at all your thing (adorable family hijinx at the fair), but for the first time in a long time with Superman, this is very, very good at what it's trying to be.
    Buh-bye

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    You know, now that you mention it, both these guys look an awful lot like Superman