Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Spectacular Member Earth-2 Refugee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I didn't mean to imply he wasn't. That scene is structured for a very specific male audience he's just assuming on. But, really, the only reason it's notable is that we saw it in the script. The actual methodology and unnecessary butt shots are not a great rarity in bat-comics.

Miller, himself, has recently reconsidered his tendency in this direction of objectification. That's disappointing, considering his talent and his age, but, I guess, better late than never? It's not an uncommon willingness among many artists, and very, very common in comics/superhero artists. But, it is annoying. It is pretty dumb.

That said, Miller and Lee probably do it less than Robert Crumb or Mike Deodato. I was just so derailed by an unnecessary panty-shot in a Hellblazer story, the other week, it became my article for the week. It's a pervasive, and unfortunately systemic issue.
    I will say every time it comes up, I'm disappointed, but this is just one of the many problems I listed with ASBAR. Remove it, and that's like patching up a bullet wound on a guy who got stabbed, poisoned, and strangled.

Spectacular Member Earth-2 Refugee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SicariiDC View Post
    I like Vicki vales butt, hope summers had to eat rats too get over it, people have casual sex even superheroes, and the repetitive dialogue is funny, also is, wonder woman saying "out of my way sperm bank" lmfaooo

I guess different people have different worldviews that influence what they object to and so on. Other people are eclectic and multi layered individuals who enjoy things on opposite ends of the spectrum. I have no delusion where ASBAR lies on that spectrum but I enjoy the hell out of it anyway. Jim Lee's art helps a lot tho. But some people hate that too lol.
    I actually enjoyed Jim's art on this book, but the rest of those things make the book a "so bad it's good" book. Although I've never heard of "let's beat these guys up, then have sex in the rain in full costume," I'm still not a fan. Also never heard of the Hope Summers thing, but I wouldn't be a fan anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    my being a Green Lantern fan hated the Hal issue, not only was he punked but nearly taken out by a near feral Robin. Jobbing is on thing especially in another characters book but it made Hal look less than useless and Robin like a kid sociopath and Batman the creepy adult that keeps him in a cage and feeds him raw meet, it got every single character in that issues 'voice' completely wrong.
    Well, I will say this about Miller's portrayal of Hal Jordan: If you believe Miller when he says this is part of the Dark Knight continuity (and I personally ignore it and don't believe it), at some point Hal Jordan gets cool.

Because he was pretty bad ass in DK2.

Quote Originally Posted by GigiFusc View Post
    I think this is what I'm most perplexed about. This idea that he wrote the characters 'wrong'. He re-wrote the characters. These are not the canon continuity characters. They are from a different universe - a 'what if' universe. How can he get the characters voice wrong when he has just created new characters with new voices??
    I was wondering the same thing. It's the same when people say Millar got Captain America "wrong" in The Ultimates.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    If you believe Miller when he says this is part of the Dark Knight continuity
    And thats the answer to the OPs question. Havent read the dark knight yet so i couldnt care less about it. So i can see the flaws in the characters as flaws in the characters, fans only see them as flaws in the work.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lhynn View Post
    And thats the answer to the OPs question. Havent read the dark knight yet so i couldnt care less about it. So i can see the flaws in the characters as flaws in the characters, fans only see them as flaws in the work.
    That's a really good point. The main "problems" people may be drawn to is an issue with how they think the story should go, rather than appreciating any character development or growth in the characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Well, I will say this about Miller's portrayal of Hal Jordan: If you believe Miller when he says this is part of the Dark Knight continuity (and I personally ignore it and don't believe it), at some point Hal Jordan gets cool.

Because he was pretty bad ass in DK2.
    I don't believe Miller when he says there is a Dark Knight continuity.