View Poll Results: How do you feel about him?

Voters
231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love him

33 14.29%
  • Too early to tell, give it time

110 47.62%
  • Dislike him

88 38.10%
Page 1 of 83 123451151 ... LastLast

Default How do you feel about Duke Thomas?

I have heard mixed reviews about this character and was wondering what the general consensus is in regards to Duke. While I do find him rather bland, I am willing to give him a chance. How do you guys feel about him?

Stop having him complain about stepping on the field or that he is Robin and Robin does not need a Batman without any training process. Dick even though introduced in once issue in 'Tec 38 is clearly stated as going through a long training process before Batman said he was ready, Jason went through a training process, Tim went through training with Batman and Dick Grayson, Damian went through training before becoming accepted as Robin by a seasoned Dick Grayson Batman. They have shown little humbleness or logical drive in favor of an impatient kid who arrogantly thinks he can handle the top threats with zero experience. This is the same I was pre-made with all the skills needed to be a hero with zero training that killed Harper Row's chances of catching on.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I'm willing to see where the stories take him and I like him just fine. None of the poll options really fit for me though. I don't dislike him but I don't love him either and I'm not sure the middle option is accurate to my feelings either.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

One of the biggest reasons I'm happy that Snyder isn't writing the main bat book anymore.

I voted "too early to tell," because he couLd still be salvaged if they speed up his training and make him more interesting (does he even have a codename yet, or just that ugly training costume?). If they don't do something interesting with him soon, though, I'm through with him.

Depends on who's writing Duke and how he's being used / misused.

...DC should improve that character.. and stop with his creator ego..

-he is better than the former robins.. Damian was trained by the league of assasins.. how to overcome that?
    -The true heir of the mantle of batman(even existing better heirs), the most recent batman ally..

is an overrated character.... Is impossible for me not to hate this... With Cassandra Cain, I can understand for his past the reason of this and because many people see her as the supreme batgirl...

I have not voted yet .. my vote would DISLIKE HIM.. batwing seems more interesting than him.
    Last edited by adrikito; 09-22-2016 at 11:00 AM.

The longer he goes without doing anything notable, the more unbelievable it's going to be when he finally does.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I don't mind, while they give a good development it's ok to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    The longer he goes without doing anything notable, the more unbelievable it's going to be when he finally does.
    Exactly. I totally agree.

BANNED

Its only been 3 years. No one has ever been able to write a characters personality in such a short time, ever, let alone a good one. Give it a decade or two, im sure well get a decent duke story before 2030.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I liked him in Robin War when written by Tom King (even if that character development was dropped in a hot second). We Are Robin had a lot of potential, but the way Bermejo wrote Duke, as being kind of a jerk to those girls at the beginning, and then treating Riko really badly (even if Riko's crush came out of nowhere, writing wise), really turned me off of the character (not to mention the idiotic guns rhetoric - it's sad when Ed Brubaker, as lefty as an old-guard comics writer can be, has more nuance in his writing on guns in a Batman comic than Bermejo), and I probably like Snyder's smartmouth version the least. Still, even after We Are Robin, I was mostly pretty positive on the character, but having Duke explicitly contradict Tim's famous line with "Robin doesn't need Batman" and Batman confirm it with "Batman doesn't need Robin," even with all of Snyder's explanations on twitter in the world that he's not disrespecting the previous characters, that's just incredibly annoying writing.

Duke is cool. I love the idea of him as Lark (and Harper as Bluebird). But the way Snyder writes him really, really doesn't work for me.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Lhynn View Post
    Its only been 3 years. No one has ever been able to write a characters personality in such a short time, ever, let alone a good one. Give it a decade or two, im sure well get a decent duke story before 2030.
    Kate Kane debuted in 2006. Elegy started in 2009. It's possible. And that's just off the top of my head, there might be even better examples.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Kate Kane debuted in 2006. Elegy started in 2009. It's possible. And that's just off the top of my head, there might be even better examples.
    I'm pretty sure that guy was being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelocust View Post
    I'm pretty sure that guy was being sarcastic.
    Yeah, I kinda realized that after posting. Oh well. It just re-emphasizes Lhynn's point.