View Poll Results: How do you feel about him?

Voters
231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love him

33 14.29%
  • Too early to tell, give it time

110 47.62%
  • Dislike him

88 38.10%
Page 6 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I thought Duke was first introduced during Zero Year in 2014, which, yes, is more than one year ago, but it's not even up to three years ago yet.
    Did he start appearing with any regularity earlier than that?
    Almost 3 years is still 3 years buddy
    The GCD seems to have Duke's earliest appearance in Batman #30, cover-dated June 2014. The most recent issue of Batman (#7) is cover-dated November 2016. Unless Duke appears earlier than Batman #30, it's not "3 years" yet. (It's barely 2-and-a-half.)

BANNED

The GCD seems to have Duke's earliest appearance in Batman #30, cover-dated June 2014. The most recent issue of Batman (#7) is cover-dated November 2016. Unless Duke appears earlier than Batman #30, it's not "3 years" yet. (It's barely 2-and-a-half.)
    So? 2 and a half years is still years.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

To amend my previous remarks, I'm indifferent to the Duke Thomas character himself, but I find the manner in which he's being promoted/marketed distasteful. I also find his presence extraneous considering all the other supporting characters we have on the board (but that's a feeling I've held since the late 1990s).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    So? 2 and a half years is still years.
    As I've said . . .
    Either you're really, really young or you are prone to exaggeration.
    Care to define what you mean by "pushed . . . for years"?
    Saying that a character who first appeared two-and-a-half years ago has been "pushed . . . for years" is a bit misleading. He hasn't been the major spotlight character in EVERY story / every issue during that time. The way you phrase it makes it sound like he's been around a hell of a lot longer and been the feature player in MULTIPLE arcs, rather than just one character of many who shows up in these stories. It may be a bit misleading to some people who may think he's been around four or five years based on the way you were talking about it.
    But maybe I'm older and prefer that things are given a chance to develop, while you want it NOW or just dump him if he doesn't cause excitement right away.

BANNED

As I've said . . . Saying that a character who first appeared two-and-a-half years ago has been "pushed . . . for years" is a bit misleading. He hasn't been the major spotlight character in EVERY story / every issue during that time. The way you phrase it makes it sound like he's been around a hell of a lot longer and been the feature player in MULTIPLE arcs, rather than just one character of many who shows up in these stories. It may be a bit misleading to some people who may think he's been around four or five years based on the way you were talking about it.
    But maybe I'm older and prefer that things are given a chance to develop, while you want it NOW or just dump him if he doesn't cause excitement right away.
    It's not a question of spot light, it's a question of story potential. Duke has almost none, he offers nothing as a supporting character to Batman and his story as a solo character failed to catch on. The fact he doesn't have a code name nor an actual purpose illustrates that point. Why has Bruce even taken him under his wing? and why is he even training him? these are basic questions, demanding answers doesn't mean that I dont care for long term story telling. I want to know what I'm in for every time I read a book with him in it. If after 2.5 years I dont get his deal then yes there is a problem, what exactly are they trying to tell me via Duke? what's the message? what's the angle?. This is cluelessness, he's being pushed while the writers are still struggling to develop a story for him. Drop him from the book, come up with a story and then bring him back. His showings in Batman are irritating, he undercuts tension by constantly showing up and telling everyone he exists, now reviewers are pointing it out.

It's kind of funny how modern DC can't get Duke Thomas going in 2.5 years, but got Dick Grayson/Robin set up in about two pages back in 1940.

Ah, modern comic books...just got to love the decompression and inefficiency.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    It's kind of funny how modern DC can't get Duke Thomas going in 2.5 years, but got Dick Grayson/Robin set up in about two pages back in 1940.

Ah, modern comic books...just got to love the decompression and inefficiency.

Raptor, Jon Kent, there are modern examples of characters taking off as soon as they are introduced. The first thing a character needs to illustrate is the reason for existence, Duke doesn't have any and he is giving no indication of getting any either.

Maybe what Duke needs is something like a VENGEANCE OF BANE or SWORD OF AZRAEL one-shot special to really flesh out who he is and why he fits critically into the current configuration of the Gotham mythos. That would work better than this slow-burn in the BATMAN title in which he doesn't do much more than occupy space. Naturally, such a special would need to reflect a definite goal/plan.

Duke is going to be the one partner Batman has that won't need him
    A partner who acts independent of Batman

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

The worst part about Duke is him and 'We Are Robin'. What a bad series.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    That's what they keep telling me, but thus far it hasn't been shown to be the case. But I'm all for Duke proving his independence and uniquness by keeping away from Batman and all that is releated to him .
    Last edited by irene; 09-24-2016 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by irene View Post
    That's what they keep telling me, but thus far it hasn't been shown to be the case. But I'm all for Duke proving his independence and uniquness by keeping away from Batman and all that is releated to him .
    Oh don't worry
    Once Duke is finished with the perfected training he'll leave the cave and go save Gotham on his own

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Ever heard of a guy named Dick Grayson? No? He already did that. Nothing new.

Astonishing Member

Characters work best when they have a justified role in the story and they actually do things. So far in Rebirth, which is all my experience of Duke, he has shown up a Wayne Manor, done some sparring, given Gotham Girl a shoulder to cry on and complain about being on the sidelines. I know that the first storyline has only just finished, and hope that Tom King has plans for giving the character more exposure and development.

I like Duke but he has been sort of directionless since We are Robin ended. I'd like an arc where he spouts off about how Robin doesn't need a Batman and then gets captured, has to be rescued by Batman and is humbled a little. He becomes the sort of everyman of the group and has to really work at his training. I think that's the only niche left for him to fill. It's early enough in his character development that people wouldn't mind the slight downgrade in his powers. Also I wouldn't go with Lark as a code name. Robin is fine, it debuted long ago and is now iconic, but Lark isn't very threatening. I like the yellow colour scheme but his suit calls to mind Power Rangers. There's a lot of potential in the character, he has a clear motivation- trying to save his parents and the WAR kids could be supporting cast if he ever got his own book. I think now is the time for DC to tweak his character because outside of Tumblr I've come across very few active Duke fans. At worst there are a lot of people who outright hate the character and at best people seem indifferent.