Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DC Comics Historian

Default Barbatos? REALLY (THE CASTING SPOILERS)

I am not going to get into it too much because I don't want to get banned. I just called it before in another thread about the author. Look, I like Morrison. I like Snyder. There are literally two moments in his writing that I would literally kiss him on his brilliant lips. But now Barbatos is actually going to be a real thing and not just a clever way of making Batman a legend. This is why I wish Scott Snyder would do his own stuff. So far he has made Thomas Wayne Jr. a real thing, he's taken two other important shots from Morrison's stuff and put them in his own, there's all the Joker's greatest hits stuff (Which I liked at first) and now Barbatos. I love Morrison too but this is just silly at this point....

Fantastic Member

There was duality in Barbatos, it represents both Batman and Hyper Adapter, and Hyper Adapter was a real bat monster when falling back in time.

Nightwing's previous encounter with Doctor Hurt suggests the big bad in Metal is not Hyper Adapter, but something bigger, and Hyper Adapter wants to stop it. But their similarities can't be merely coincidences.

Perhaps Darkseid was aware of the Dark Multiverse, and his whole scheme against Batman was also a scheme against the big bad in Metal. If it succeed, the identity of "Batman's true father" would have been hijacked, and Batman would either be corrupted or destoryed, no longer available as an unwitting pawn of the villain from the Dark Multiverse. If it failed, at least Batman would have more experience for this sort of attacks.
    Last edited by qwerty3w; 07-19-2017 at 03:39 AM.

BANNED

Isn't this a bit like making a thread titled "Vader is Luke's dad (Empire Strikes Back SPOILERS)"

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

No worry about spoilers, because anything Barbatos related is still unclear. Unless Snyder really uses the Barbatos name some, Morrison's Barbatos, which was basically Darkseid and particularly his Hyper-Adapter, will remain what it is over in its corner, while Snyder's Bat god behind the bat will be its own thing.

Even if Snyder really uses the Barbatos name, it'd only then really establish that a number of evil entities were confused for Barbatos. And Snyder would definitely have a hard time convincing DC fans that his Bat god monster is a bigger deal, a truer Barbatos, than Darkseid and his Hyper-Adapter programmed hunter-killer machine.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-19-2017 at 01:19 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

If it weren't for the Leviathan reference and the fact Seeley directly bridged Morrison with Snyder using his Hurt arc, I'd have dismissed it but there is a possibility of them being linked,

DC Comics Historian

No. Its not. If you have read the story so far you would know the big bad of it is a complete different and DESPERATE villain. I'll leave it there.

Fantastic Member

Possible connections to Morrison's run:

Bat-demon: No need for further explanation.

Bat-tribe: Miagani are good people, but they could still serve as an analogue to the evil Bat-tribe in this story.

Regeneration/Immortality: Hyper Adapter's blood and Dionysium.

Boomerang Killer: Doctor Hurt used to work in Willowood Asylum, and he had a boomerang in his office. Lincoln March claimed to be Thomas Wayne Jr. and came from the same asylum.

Father: Just like Hyper Adapter/Doctor Hurt, the new villain claimed to be the father of Batman.

Cycle: Morrison used a lot of symbolism about cycles in his works. Hurt compared the new villain to Abaddon, Kali Ma and Shiva, all have something to do with destruction and rebirth. Joker was writing pi on the wall in Dark Days: The Forge. The metal can resurrect people or make them reincarnate. If Leviathan is involved, Ouroboros might be a form of the metal too, it was associated with concepts like "meta-molecule" and "meta-bomb".
    Last edited by qwerty3w; 07-19-2017 at 08:58 AM.

Empty is thy hand!

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruebatman View Post
    No. Its not. If you have read the story so far you would know the big bad of it is a complete different and DESPERATE villain. I'll leave it there.
    Ooh, ooh, is it Despero?!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    Ooh, ooh, is it Despero?!
    It's supposed to be a universal or multiversal level threat, which Despero isn't. But if Snyder really wants to tie things together, he could connect it to Pandora's three eyed skull box.

DC Comics Historian

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty3w View Post
    It's supposed to be a universal or multiversal level threat, which Despero isn't. But if Snyder really wants to tie things together, he could connect it to Pandora's three eyed skull box.
    Despero is most likely a red herring at this point. I am hoping my theory below is more correct.

I really have wondered where this would leave both the Earth-3 question and the QWARD question and whether or not this would lead to a race of Anti-Monitors much like we had a race of Monitors and that never really made very much sense to me especially since we never saw a Monitor nor Anti-Monitor of Earth-3 during the Countdown to Final Crisis days as well as it was never specifically pointed to what we know now as MOBIOUS to be that person. It also never set right with me that we never got any more exposition on the idea that Earth 3 and QWARD both had an Injustice League but weren't the same place but were very much the same idea.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    No worry about spoilers, because anything Barbatos related is still unclear. Unless Snyder really uses the Barbatos name some, Morrison's Barbatos, which was basically Darkseid and particularly his Hyper-Adapter, will remain what it is over in its corner, while Snyder's Bat god behind the bat will be its own thing.

Even if Snyder really uses the Barbatos name, it'd only then really establish that a number of evil entities were confused for Barbatos. And Snyder would definitely have a hard time convincing DC fans that his Bat god monster is a bigger deal, a truer Barbatos, than Darkseid and his Hyper-Adapter programmed hunter-killer machine.
    What do you say to this?

Metal ties into Grant Morrison's Batman and Geoff Johns' Darkseid War

Said by Snyder himself
    From the DC Friday Breakfast panel
    https://www.newsarama.com/35515-sdcc...breakfast.html

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    What do you say to this?
    Good catch, I'd now bet the name (and/or entity) "Barbatos" is coming soon to these books. These ties will be something to analyze.

Darkseid was the villain in Morrison's run. Hurt was fooled by Darkseid and the Hyper-Adapter (who infected and empowered Hurt) into thinking he was serving Barbatos. Was Hurt maybe serving two dark gods and unaware of the tag team for his soul/service?

Haven't read D.War, not sure I ever intend to, so hopefully someone will clarify any connections with that they notice.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-21-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Its definitely Barbatos and there's a Final Crisis reference there too

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1a62a69d5bc8

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Its definitely Barbatos and there's a Final Crisis reference there too

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1a62a69d5bc8
    Yea, your Nrama interview definitely made me expect Barbatos might be used outright, and now we know he is. Hurt's "religion" (his influencers) is certainly confusing now with Darkseid and perhaps this Barbatos now involved in shaping his life/powers/warped mind.

What are y'all talking bout? Snyder, Barbados, Hurt, Final Crisis, Morrison? I have no idea what's going on lol.
    Formerly known as YMCMB