View Poll Results: How do you feel about him?

Voters
231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love him

33 14.29%
  • Too early to tell, give it time

110 47.62%
  • Dislike him

88 38.10%
Page 16 of 83 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

I find his existent to be pointless. We don't need another Robin. I suppose they could do something interesting with him but so far, he has shown zero sign of that so I highly doubt it.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    What i don't get about Duke is why won't they tell us his superhero name. What are they trying trying to milk hear. Get his superhero name out there already.
    I think we find out soon. I thought there was an article on the front page that said we find out his name in one of the next issues, or something.

I like Duke as long as they can start making him more interesting moving forward.

I like him but im not sure i'd buy a solo about him just yet.

I dont even know what Duke is really supposed to be. I always found his back story weird as hell too. Like he was a really minor character during one arc and then got dragged along to a more prominent role.
    Superhero shows are trash

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I like him but im not sure i'd buy a solo about him just yet.
    Understandable.

I think a lot if us are confused on him.

It's like everything is being done on the fly versus a thought out plan. Much like New 52.

I think the series will probably try to correct a lot of stuff that the main Batman book should not have to do especially with whatever Johns has planned.

like this could turn into a creator's pet situation, and I don't mean that to reflect negatively on duke. The climate of the batfam fandom is that we're protective of our established characters, and certain characters have decades of history so the batfam means a lot to people. But that means acceptance into the batfam mythos ain't that easy and for a newbie character to actually stay there is a whole lot harder.

Duke isn't exactly a break out hit character, I like him and I look forward to seeing more from him and I hope his solo succeeds but I just don't feel like they've done enough with his character yet for people to feel an attachment to him. I mean I haven't read All Star except for the Ivy issue, so I have no idea what Duke is doing except for Metal. I kind of feel like that because Duke is advancing so quickly and it's spurred on by Snyder, then people are going to see it as a creator's pet situation and just not bother because of lazy process. I mean I'll definitely check it out and I hope they nail that first issue.
    Last edited by RedQueen; 06-19-2017 at 07:44 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RedQueen View Post
    like this could turn into a creator's pet situation, and I don't mean that to reflect negatively on duke. The climate of the batfam fandom is that we're protective of our established characters, and certain characters have decades of history so the batfam means a lot to people. But that means acceptance into the batfam mythos ain't that easy and for a newbie character to actually stay there is a whole lot harder.

Duke isn't exactly a break out hit character, I like him and I look forward to seeing more from him and I hope his solo succeeds but I just don't feel like they've done enough with his character yet for people to feel an attachment to him. I mean I haven't read All Star except for the Ivy issue, so I have no idea what Duke is doing except for Metal. I kind of feel like that because Duke is advancing so quickly and it's spurred on by Snyder, then people are going to see it as a creator's pet situation and just not bother because of lazy process. I mean I'll definitely check it out and I hope they nail that first issue.
    It is a creators per situation. This character wasn't created to fill an empty niche, or replace someone who outgrew their role, or even to shake things up. He exists because Snyder wanted his own personal fan-favorite hero in the books. He didn't have any brilliant ideas for this new character, or any stories that absolutely required him in order to be told, it's all about making a permanent addition to the Family whether or not they actually need it.

I have nothing particularly against him, I just don't really see what he's bringing to the table.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    It is a creators per situation. This character wasn't created to fill an empty niche, or replace someone who outgrew their role, or even to shake things up. He exists because Snyder wanted his own personal fan-favorite hero in the books. He didn't have any brilliant ideas for this new character, or any stories that absolutely required him in order to be told, it's all about making a permanent addition to the Family whether or not they actually need it.
    Like the last set of folks who actually had success and get tossed away?

If we go by the treatment of Tim, Cassandra, Stephanie, both Arzreals, both Batwings, Huntress (version 1), Chase and Oprehus. He'll get screwed over like the rest of them.

Astonishing Member

There's a blog I read following one man watching Dark Shadows. He's got a checklist for new characters, which influences how he takes to them. The three criteria are:
    1) Make a friend
    2) Make a joke
    3) Make a plot point happen (justifying inclusion in the plot)

Now to apply this to Duke. Just going by Rebirth alone, Duke only ticks off one of these things. That's make a friend, with Gotham Girl. He hasn't had enough page time to get any noticeable witty remarks in, nor has he been indispensable to any storylines he's appeared in. You could even take him out of Dark Days: The Forge and not lose anything to the story. The offer referenced in the Batman Rebirth issue has not come up since, and Duke hasn't even got a superhero name yet despite being around since 2014 and joining up with Batman just over a year ago. I know he was part of We are Robin, but I haven't read that and only know the Grayson aspects of Robin War.

It doesn't help Duke has had minimum impact on readers, and has had zero exposure outside of comics. He doesn't even have a Wikipedia page (he's listed under the Batman Supporting Character list, with a line saying he joined up with Batman after his parents were rendered insane) or a character entry on the TV Tropes Batman Characters page. To put it in perspective, Gotham Girl has an entry on the Batman Character page on TV Tropes.

What needs to happen is for an arc or mini-series that puts Duke front and center, explaining who he is, why he's with Batman and justifying the role he is intended to fill. The Duke Thomas Mission Statement if you will. And give him a name.
    Last edited by jbmasta; 06-20-2017 at 04:00 AM.

He's friend with Robin, and had some joke with him at the end of Robin War. Sure, it isn't in Rebirth and hasn't been touched upon yet, but it's there. I also liked the Bat-Burger scene even if Duke wasn't the funny one (more the newly adopted kid discovering his family, I guess ?).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    He's friend with Robin, and had some joke with him at the end of Robin War. Sure, it isn't in Rebirth and hasn't been touched upon yet, but it's there. I also liked the Bat-Burger scene even if Duke wasn't the funny one (more the newly adopted kid discovering his family, I guess ?).
    Which leaves the plot point. Comic book characters who are part of an ensemble cast don't need to stand out to the degree I'm expecting. But the way Snyder talks Duke up, saying how important he sees Duke, it isn't showing in the writing at the moment. Show, don't tell.

I think his existence is rather pointless. There are enough members of the Batfamily.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    Which leaves the plot point. Comic book characters who are part of an ensemble cast don't need to stand out to the degree I'm expecting. But the way Snyder talks Duke up, saying how important he sees Duke, it isn't showing in the writing at the moment. Show, don't tell.
    I think the question has to be asked-what came first these interviews or the scripts?

If the interviews came first with the scripts having a bigger role for Duke came first and then the editor redid everything like they love to do.

If the scripts were competed first and it was later decided to do something with Duke thus the odd interviews.

He's friend with Robin, and had some joke with him at the end of Robin War.
    Does that still count? Since they act like We Are Robin never happened.

Like you said they keep talking but the final product does not show it. This was the same mess we saw with Cyborg under Johns in Justice League. Yeah you saw him but he really did not stand out. Unless Dc thinks just talking is suppose to work versus doing.

Honestly, I think D.C. did a wrong choice in keeping the super-hero name of Duke under wrap until The Casting. All-Star batman would have been a far better place to drop it, especially since everything was pointing to it (the children having chosen him a name already, the return of the WAR kids, etc.), especially since (for me) the back-ups were more interesting than the main story, especially during the second arc. Him having his "name" wouldn't have prevented him from going into The Forge and The Casting like he did/will.