View Poll Results: How do you feel about him?

Voters
231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love him

33 14.29%
  • Too early to tell, give it time

110 47.62%
  • Dislike him

88 38.10%
Page 32 of 83 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    If you don't think editorial hates characters then you must not have read Titans...
    Literally no one besides you believes that. Even the Duke haters in this thread haven't made ignorant accusations like that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Literally no one besides you believes that. Even the Duke haters in this thread haven't made ignorant accusations like that.
    Maybe not in this thread its been mentioned, but there are definitely both writers and members of editorial who hate certain characters.

Now do I think anyone really hatesTim? No, he's not one of them. There just isn't anyone but Tynion in either a writing or editorial position who really seems to care about him.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Maybe not in this thread its been mentioned, but there are definitely both writers and members of editorial who hate certain characters.

Now do I think anyone really hatesTim? No, he's not one of them. There just isn't anyone but Tynion in either a writing or editorial position who really seems to care about him.
    Everyone has their favorites, I will agree with. But I don't think anyone is set on hating characters. Yes, some may choose to not work on them like Snyder writing Damian. But he doesn't hate the character.

BANNED

Well that I agree with and I think Duke can be criticized as a character without being compared to a hundred others.

BANNED

There's people in the Titans and Wally West threads who agree with me on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    *Petty

Youre not even a Tim fan, please don't tell me how to feel. And even if you dislike or hate Tim there's no reason for anyone to support Duke. If you like literally anyone in the Bat-Family you should take issue with Duke. DC editorial hates Dick, they don't want Damian to be part of the Bat-Family, they don't care about Cass or Steph, Duke is one of the few characters they seem genuinely interested in building up. And that is just revolting.
    I like Dick, Damian, Jason and Steph and I like Duke. Dick, Damian and Jason are doing fine. Steph well Tynion is trying his best to make her suck that,s not on Duke.
    You need to stop with all this if you like the batfamily you should take issue with Duke. Has it ever occurred to you that not all fans are hateful and vengeful? Waging war on any character they view as competition.

Some of us are tolerant and I am happy to see a different Tim fan being rational and defending Duke. A welcome balance.

I hate his costume. It's a freakin eye sore. I would actually like to see him get a more classic superhero costume. Something with a cape. Yeah I know capes are considered outdated.

Everyone has their favorites, I will agree with. But I don't think anyone is set on hating characters. Yes, some may choose to not work on them like Snyder writing Damian. But he doesn't hate the character.
    Agreed. I don't believe Synders reasons for not written Damian but I don't believe for a second that he hates him. More his vision, the story he wants to tell doesn't include him or any family and that is nothing to do with hate. Simply his Batman isn't a family man.

Ultimate Member

Yes they are.

You just have to look at who the creative teams are and the characters in question.

New 52 Static. In what universe does a editor allow an artist with ZERO I repeat ZERO writing experience take over a book from a writer, who WROTE Xombi & Static and an alum of Milestone?

A guy who starred in his own tv show that was axed due to funding not ratings. Whose reruns beat new episodes of Pokemon, Sponge Bob & other cartoon shows.

Knowing folks SCREAMED for a Static book after how badly he was done in Teen Titans and MCDuffie's death.

He gets a book where he's not in Dakota. He has a clone & his sister has a clone in a story that was NEVER explained. Issue 6 was the WORST done and edited book in the history of DC.

Why? Because the artist didn't like the fact the book got 42K in orders. Instead of being GRATEFUL for those orders-took over the book and made it the poster child for what was wrong with New 52. And gave black characters haters ammo to justify never using Static in another book and the classic "you MUST accept settle for whatever crap is tossed out starring a character you like." excuse.

NO way in HECK would the above happen to Batman, Superman, Arrow, Flash, Hal Jordan, WW, Justice League & Aquaman.

The artist and editor would be fired and blackballed from DC if they did.

Yet that editor is still around you have seen his handy work Katanna, Walker's Cyborg & Sempter's Cyborg? All LOW SELLERS who have been beaten by Moon Girl.

So yes I can believe a group of folks can hate a character.

Because BUSINESS sense does not allow the above to happen.

Nor what we have seen done to Cassandra Cain, John Stewart, Wally West & Stephanie Brown.

I don't think the issue is always writers but editors and higher ups.

Ask Gerald Jones, Cully Hammer & Tony Isabella. GL Mosaic & Black Lightning volume 2 got ruined because someone did';t care for those books.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Yes they are.

You just have to look at who the creative teams are and the characters in question.

New 52 Static. In what universe does a editor allow an artist with ZERO I repeat ZERO writing experience take over a book from a writer, who WROTE Xombi & Static and an alum of Milestone?

A guy who starred in his own tv show that was axed due to funding not ratings. Whose reruns beat new episodes of Pokemon, Sponge Bob & other cartoon shows.

Knowing folks SCREAMED for a Static book after how badly he was done in Teen Titans and MCDuffie's death.

He gets a book where he's not in Dakota. He has a clone & his sister has a clone in a story that was NEVER explained. Issue 6 was the WORST done and edited book in the history of DC.

Why? Because the artist didn't like the fact the book got 42K in orders. Instead of being GRATEFUL for those orders-took over the book and made it the poster child for what was wrong with New 52. And gave black characters haters ammo to justify never using Static in another book and the classic "you MUST accept settle for whatever crap is tossed out starring a character you like." excuse.

NO way in HECK would the above happen to Batman, Superman, Arrow, Flash, Hal Jordan, WW, Justice League & Aquaman.

The artist and editor would be fired and blackballed from DC if they did.

Yet that editor is still around you have seen his handy work Katanna, Walker's Cyborg & Sempter's Cyborg? All LOW SELLERS who have been beaten by Moon Girl.

So yes I can believe a group of folks can hate a character.

Because BUSINESS sense does not allow the above to happen.

Nor what we have seen done to Cassandra Cain, John Stewart, Wally West & Stephanie Brown.

I don't think the issue is always writers but editors and higher ups.

Ask Gerald Jones, Cully Hammer & Tony Isabella. GL Mosaic & Black Lightning volume 2 got ruined because someone did';t care for those books.
    This comment is nothing but truth. I wasn't even aware that the same editor from N52 Static was on Cyborg. This shows why DC won't ever learn. If this man was on early cancelled books, why does he still have a job? As for Duke Thomas I'll wait and see what DC does with him based off their history with black characters.

We, who only see things from a distance, and don't truly see the in and outs, don't get to determine who DC should fire.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-25-2017 at 01:05 AM.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    We, who only see things from a distance, and don't truly see the in and outs, don't get to determine who DC should fire.
    Another unfortunate reason is that, unlike when they were in NYC, in California you don't have a lot of editors who work in serialization outside of scripts. Those that do mostly work for magazines. It's why fiction writers tend to go to the the Midwest area (Chicago) or New York for fiction writing because that's where the majority of publishing houses are and that's where book editors tend to ply their craft. If DC was still in NYC there would be a good chance that they would be looking from Marvel or dynamite. Closest three publishers in Cali are Image, and they have a so so relationship with everyone, Dark horse, and IDW both of whom mostly work with licensed characters. So there's that issue right there.

In regard to Duke, seriously saying that people only like him because he's black is like saying that people only like Damian because he's arabic. You do realize how dumb that is.

And let's not paint Tim as as saint here regarding his creation. I love Tim as a character and he's had stuff thrown on him before (were you also against Damian when he first came out Atlanta?) but one thing is true regarding Duke. He didn't take on the robin mantle he forged his own choice and was inspired by Tim and the others.
    Regarding the whole thing about Tim in the past, Jason fans were livid when he took over, because in their mind, Tim had been put in place to give a big "Screw you" to Jason after DC wrecked the hell out of the character. So yeah, Tim doesn't get a free pass just as Jason didn't get one when he took over from Dick. Every time a new character comes in you will always have people yelling about it replacing someone else.

Spectacular Member

Have they even given him a name yet? Just seems like he's never really gonna advance beyond being a sidekick in current form. My prediction is that he lasts a couple more years, gets killed off, comes back as a villain 10 years after
    Check Out My Batman Canon Read Through And Review Here, From Year One all the way to Rebirth

Batman Canon Read Through And Review

I'm Also On Patreon. This all goes towards buying new graphic novels so if you like my reviews please pledge whatever you can. Thank you.

Deffinition Patreon

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    In regard to Duke, seriously saying that people only like him because he's black is like saying that people only like Damian because he's arabic. You do realize how dumb that is.
    The difference is that Damian actually has traits and qualities that can be appreciated aside from superficial ones. Not the case with Duke. There's no logical reason for anyone to like him aside from his race.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Dwayne McDuffie if he was around might not agree, Fans fought to get him off Justice League over 3 blacks on the team. Never mind McDuffie stated he didn't choose that to happen that was Dan and friends. And the book still sold. Yet you can tell close minded folks anything that they don't want to hear.

Regarding the whole thing about Tim in the past, Jason fans were livid when he took over, because in their mind, Tim had been put in place to give a big "Screw you" to Jason after DC wrecked the hell out of the character. So yeah, Tim doesn't get a free pass just as Jason didn't get one when he took over from Dick. Every time a new character comes in you will always have people yelling about it replacing someone else.
    However DC guys made it 100% clear Tim was created because someone on higher food chain BEYOND the DC President DEMANDED a new Robin. So it wasn't Dc saying screw you Jason fans-they were doing what they were instructed to do.

So Tim does get a free pass. He like Duke had nothing to do with what was done to Jason. He was not around during that time.

There's no logical reason for anyone to like him aside from his race.
    There is no other reason to hate them his race.

If he brings NOTHING to the table and only has single page cameos in the main Batman book.

Why is there a 32 page thread about him?
    Why do threads become Duke bashing threads in books he appears in?
    Why is there a 17 page Appreciation Thread for him?
    Why does he have an action figure?

A guy who brings nothing to the table does not have the above. He would be ignored. Yet he's not and like many witch hunts-only blacks get targeted to nonstop bashing. Superwoman, All New SUperman, Jessica & Simon are way more guilty of taking spots than Duke.