View Poll Results: How do you feel about him?

Voters
231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love him

33 14.29%
  • Too early to tell, give it time

110 47.62%
  • Dislike him

88 38.10%
Page 4 of 83 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Kate Kane debuted in 2006. Elegy started in 2009. It's possible. And that's just off the top of my head, there might be even better examples.
    John Stewart.

He was introduced in 1971 and was pretty much MIA in comics until 1983 when he took over for Hal.

Stephanie Brown was MIA for 2 years after her first appearance. Then came Robin.

Black Panther did nothing in comics after his Kirby drawn series ended in the 80s and was just there until 1998 and Christopher Priest.

How many years did it take to get Supergirl right? Especially the Matrix version?

I can name one more-CYBORG. We were told to wait for his moment and we are still waiting 5 years later and suffering from yet another black Frankenstein storyline.

Interesting, I'm surprised no one has voted for the first option. Though as some of you pointed out I should have added a couple more options for the poll. Either way your responses are very insightful, now I have a better understanding of how everyone feels about Duke from a deeper standpoint.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    If the characters seem to have their places and roles then it doesn't matter how many there are, but if multiple characters seem to have no purpose or direction the batfamily will seem overcrowded even if it has fewer members.
    That's what I was asking about, though - do you feel that there are characters (since Rebirth, mind, I personally was really irritated with the status quo of the N52, even if my fave was getting some love for the last year or so of it) that are being ignored/mishandled right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Orujo-man View Post
    I can see...mmm I don't think Bermejo written bad that or Duke are stupid. You know, sometimes us (men) in that ages we are not than.... perceptive like women, usually girls mature their mentality earlier than us. I know for own experience that kind of situations happens.

Normally in these ages we are more occupied doing stupid things. Funny, but stupid things.
    I agree that teen guys (I was one myself, once) are stupid (though I would disagree that we're dumber than girls - but you have something of a point with the idea of stupid in different ways), but Duke is supposed to be really smart and observant. Like, really remarkably so - that's the whole way Snyder writes him. Now, even the smartest guys can miss stuff (see also: Tim Drake and his mishandling of his romantic life for 100 issues ), but I think Duke is shown to have a casual attitude about at least Riko's feelings. Normal, sure - but I read comics (and books, and watch movies and TV) to see the abnormally admirable, interesting, intelligent. If I want to see normal teen guys be stupid, I can just find them in real life. I want to see things that inspire me to be better - and Duke doesn't do that, when the best characters do, I think.

Now, this isn't to say Duke couldn't - just that the work done with him so far is just subpar. I like nearly every single character in We Are Robin better than Duke - and sadly, they're probably all gone now.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Personally, I'd like to see Duke working with Dick, Babs, and even Luke Fox rather than the relatively useless role he seems to have played in King's issues of Batman so far.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I voted "too early to tell," because he couLd still be salvaged if they speed up his training and make him more interesting (does he even have a codename yet, or just that ugly training costume?). If they don't do something interesting with him soon, though, I'm through with him.
    I wasn't aware there was a deadline to this.

The longer he goes without doing anything notable, the more unbelievable it's going to be when he finally does.
    Not if he's being developed properly.

He doesn't need to be amazing, like Dick, Tim, and Damian, to be interesting. That's why I appreciate Jason.

Kate Kane debuted in 2006. Elegy started in 2009. It's possible. And that's just off the top of my head, there might be even better examples.
    To be fair, Elegy is a good Kate-centric story.

Duke hasn't gotten that yet.

Jon Kent has been around for what, one year, maybe less? I already love the kid and can't wait to see him alongside Damian.

Funny thing I couldn't care less for Duke, and i read all the comics he appears, except We Are Robin. I hope this could change someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Jon Kent has been around for what, one year, maybe less? I already love the kid and can't wait to see him alongside Damian.

Funny thing I couldn't care less for Duke, and i read all the comics he appears, except We Are Robin. I hope this could change someday.
    Well, he's a prominent part of the Superman comic. Duke is in the peripheral, for now.

Jon Kent will go the way of Chris the way the superman line is run
    Duke is in 2-3 books a month featuring Batman, He's very much the status quo now
    Duke is not going to go away, the batman line very rarely discards characters especially ones who have been created by their top talent.
    Even Luke Fox who had the pretty terrible association of replacing the amazing david zavimbe (because the batman of africa wasn't gotham centric enough or whatever) and he still pops up now and again

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Well, he's a prominent part of the Superman comic. Duke is in the peripheral, for now.
    He was a big part of Robin War and some of arcs that Snyder did. I don't see the big deal with him, to me he is kinda bland.
    But i think this is more of a Snyder problem than the character, because Duke and Harper are his creation and both have the same issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I don't think so, he looks like a permanent thing to me, but we'll see.

Spectacular Member Earth-2 Refugee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Mostly indifferent. If some catastrophe were to take out the entire Bat Family (but not Batman/Bruce Wayne himself) and Batman needed a new supporting cast, Duke would be as good a place as any to start. As it is, though, he's one more player on an already crowded field, and leads to the question, "Is this character really necessary?" NOTE: I asked the same question when Cassandra and Damian were introduced, and I remain pretty indifferent to them as well.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I do think the Bat Family is too crowded as every writer tries to introduce one or more new members. We've had Blue Bird, Talon, Duke, and Gotham Girl in the past few years. Since 2000, we've had so many new members come along, and most of them are forgettable or just dilute the pool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Duke is in 2-3 books a month featuring Batman, He's very much the status quo now
    Duke is not going to go away, the batman line very rarely discards characters especially ones who have been created by their top talent.
    Even Luke Fox who had the pretty terrible association of replacing the amazing david zavimbe (because the batman of africa wasn't gotham centric enough or whatever) and he still pops up now and again
    Jon has already caught on, like all good new characters there is a connection between him and fans. He's being received fine, they know what they're doing with him.

Snyder admitted they had cancelled some plans for Harper when pushing her failed. If a character doesn't catch on even after relentless pushes and promotion, even their creator will give up on them eventually. Some characters just don't have a heart.

Don't care. Don't mind him and don't hate. Some feelings I have with all Bat supporting characters except for Alfred

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    John Stewart.

He was introduced in 1971 and was pretty much MIA in comics until 1983 when he took over for Hal.

Stephanie Brown was MIA for 2 years after her first appearance. Then came Robin.

Black Panther did nothing in comics after his Kirby drawn series ended in the 80s and was just there until 1998 and Christopher Priest.

How many years did it take to get Supergirl right? Especially the Matrix version?

I can name one more-CYBORG. We were told to wait for his moment and we are still waiting 5 years later and suffering from yet another black Frankenstein storyline.
    There in lies the problem with your examples, they were MIA until someone figured out what to do with them. Duke is being pushed incessantly by his creator for years and is still failing.
    Like most other people, this poll doesn't reflect my thoughts, I dont like him and I dont want to give him time either, he's been given enough of that as it is but he is starting to grate me now which I guess equals dislike.