View Poll Results: How do you feel about him?

Voters
231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love him

33 14.29%
  • Too early to tell, give it time

110 47.62%
  • Dislike him

88 38.10%
Page 8 of 83 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Damian has a terrible dynamic with Bruce and that have been proven since Morrison left. No point shoehorning him back into the Batman title to see that train wreck occur again. I'd actually like him to show up more in Nightwing since that was what made him likable in the first place not his relationship with Bruce.
    What? Okay, i'm now thinking that you just dislike the fact that some people here hate Duke and you're talking nonsense only to justify Duke's dullness.

Incredible Member

Actually Bruce-Damian makes Bruce look bad and it isn't even because Damian is "so cool", its because it brings Bruce "the father in him" in the lamest worst possible way...i don't find it cool at all, besides having a actual teenager for son isn't a problem now, but soon enough will make Batman look old.

Incredible Member

But overal Damian is easly a better character than Duke, no doubt, although it isn't hard really.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bat_girl_cc View Post
    Actually Bruce-Damian makes Bruce look bad and it isn't even because Damian is "so cool", its because it brings Bruce "the father in him" in the lamest worst possible way...i don't find it cool at all, besides having a actual teenager for son isn't a problem now, but soon enough will make Batman look old.
    Movie Batman is in his mid 40's so DC has nothing to worry about in terms of perception problems.

Although Damian was a cool funny character in Batman and Robin, but I personally never cared for his dynamic with Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, the brunt of Duke's development is being handled in All-Star by his creator Scott Snyder, but King is still promoting the character in the main Batman book by including him in pretty much every issue and even giving him his own storyline and role in King's overall arc through his relationship with Gotham Girl. He's just not necessarily as physically active in that book as he is in All-Star.

Between his appearances in Batman, All-Star, Night of the Monster Men and even a cameo in 'Tec, I think Duke's actually getting plenty of panel-time
    I get the point that you're saying here, but I don't really look at King having any promotion with the character whatsoever. When I see promotion, I'm looking for a character getting proper development and relevance in a book, where he's not a useless character. And he's only been in like one or two pages average it seems in King's book. He's not even in any covers from what I've seen. As what others had said, he's only there because it seems to be some kind of editorial mandate. But you do make a good point overall, though with his other appearances. But with his appearance in King's book? There's really no effort a all.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmaniac View Post
    A character with a personality, maybe? Even if they were written poorly, at least we wouldn't have to look at Duke's eyesore of a motorcycle get-up.

If we're being specific though, how about Damian? Y'know, the actual current Robin.
    If Damian was in the book, people would still complain like they questioned Snyder's lack of use with the character.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 09-25-2016 at 08:52 AM.

BANNED

Unlikely because King can actually write Damian pretty well, so even if Damian was just getting 2 page showings per issue he'd still be bringing a dynamic personality and dynamic.

A character only having two pages is ridiculous, regardless on the writing quality on a character, imo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    A character only having two pages is ridiculous, regardless on the writing quality on a character, imo.
    It feels like a compromise position, he'll use Duke but not really use him. He thinks it's Snyder's story to tell so he'll just Duke to reaffirm the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    It feels like a compromise position, he'll use Duke but not really use him. He thinks it's Snyder's story to tell so he'll just Duke to reaffirm the status quo.
    That's pretty much on how I see it, too.

Well, the guy is just there for sake of being there. He doesn't add anything new to the Batman family nor his personality or story is interesting. Funnily enough, I actually think that Harper had more potential than he ever did before she was destroyed in BRE.

I don't hate him or like him. I just simply don't care about him and I don't think my feeling about him will change anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldy View Post
    What? Okay, i'm now thinking that you just dislike the fact that some people here hate Duke and you're talking nonsense only to justify Duke's dullness.
    S/he is right tho. Bruce and Damian dynamic didn't work and most of their moments in BR felt forced and melodramatic.

BANNED

I disagree with the people who think the dynamic didn't work, Batman and Robin annual 1 beats almost everything written with Bruce and a sidekick.

Damian really was terrible with Bruce though, that has nothing to do with liking Duke or not
    Most of the people are advocating for Damian to be Bruce's partner because they like the character but fail to see how ill matched they are as partners. It works with Dick because he's not a dark character but pairing oil and oil and watching them do nothing but be awkward around each other is not better. The only real thing it brings is optics so you can say "Oh Batman has a son"(that won't ever get old -_-)

Majority of the dynamic was Damian killing something or doing something that Bruce didn't agree with. Ended up in trouble silly father/son moment and you rinse and repeat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I get the point that you're saying here, but I don't really look at King having any promotion with the character whatsoever. When I see promotion, I'm looking for a character getting proper development and relevance in a book, where he's not a useless character. And he's only been in like one or two pages average it seems in King's book. He's not even in any covers from what I've seen. As what others had said, he's only there because it seems to be some kind of editorial mandate. But you do make a good point overall, though with his other appearances. But with his appearance in King's book? There's really no effort a all.
    He was on the cover of #1, and generally I'd say he's been as relevant as King can make the character without stepping on Snyder's toes where we seem to be getting a lot more in-costume stuff with Duke. King's said in interviews he's handling him like pre-Robin and in-training Tim back in the day, so generally most of his involvement is stuck in the cave, but he's also giving him a sub-plot with Gotham Girl that seems like it'll be pretty important.

If King wasn't putting any effort at all into the character, I'd doubt he'd even use him to the degree that he has.

If Damian was in the book, people would still complain like they questioned Snyder's lack of use with the character.
    But if Damian was actually in the book, and being used, why would people complain ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Damian really was terrible with Bruce though, that has nothing to do with liking Duke or not
    Most of the people are advocating for Damian to be Bruce's partner because they like the character but fail to see how ill matched they are as partners. It works with Dick because he's not a dark character but pairing oil and oil and watching them do nothing but be awkward around each other is not better. The only real thing it brings is optics so you can say "Oh Batman has a son"(that won't ever get old -_-)

Majority of the dynamic was Damian killing something or doing something that Bruce didn't agree with. Ended up in trouble silly father/son moment and you rinse and repeat that.
    Or some of us really liked Born to Kill and Batman and Robin annual 1 and the dream issue and the DOTF tieinn issue and Hunt for Robin and Robin Rises. Maybe they weren't perfect but whatever moments Bruce shared with Damian and his feelings were far more legit than anything with Duke ever.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    I disagree with the people who think the dynamic didn't work, Batman and Robin annual 1 beats almost everything written with Bruce and a sidekick.
    To you maybe, but I don't think it worked and I think it was one of the reasons why DC kept Damian away from Batman after BR ended.