Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I've heard that Batman #9 starts unraveling the Rebirth mystery? Not having read the issue, this is wild speculation; but I won't be surprised if Saturn Girl's appearance is part of this. What role does she pay in the issue?
    Background appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I've heard that Batman #9 starts unraveling the Rebirth mystery? Not having read the issue, this is wild speculation; but I won't be surprised if Saturn Girl's appearance is part of this. What role does she pay in the issue?
    She's locked up in an Arkham cell. She scrawls the Legion symbol on her window in viewpoint of Batman.

Batman mentions something called "The War of Jokes and Riddles" when talking to The Ventriloquist. Did this actually happen in Pre-New 52/Rebirth DCU? If so what issues do I need to check out.

My best guest is that this "war" happened somewhere between the Zero Year and the beginning of the New 52 timeperiod.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Instead he's smart to trust P&J lol?
    More than Joker and Harley. I like Punch and Jewelee, but they're just not in the same league as Joker.

\

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

--Tom King has a real knack for Alfred's voice.

--Has it been confirmed yet who's writing Legion of Heroes? If memory serves, it was said to be one of the writers at a panel including Tom King, so he's a possibility.

--The scene with Bruce taking care of Gotham Girl was great. Well, every scene was great--but it's always nice to see Bruce as a family man and caretaker.

--I like how self-aware King's Batman is. He pretty much lays it all on the table--he's willing to break laws and use people to get what Gotham Girl needs. That's refreshing.

--The emotional stakes are really high, with Batman and Bane both having compelling reasons for wanting Psycho Pirate.

--I know King leans toward tragedy, but I hope Gotham Girl's story ends well and she's sticking around somewhere after his run is over. And just to be clear, I don't want his run to be over for a very, very long time.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    In King's defense, as confirmed by Priest and others, the first arc of each Rebirth series was mandated by Johns/editorial. So essentially, Johns likely said Tom I need you to introduce a a female Superman-level character that tests Batman and will be used later on tying into Rebirth. Then Monster Men was filler because of the bi-weekly schedule. I look at this as the first issue of King's real run - and I refuse to believe that anyone who wrote Vision, Omega Men, Nightwing: Futures End and the GL one-shot will do anything but great work. I think everyone should give him a few issues here to get into a rhythm
    Thank you for letting me know, I didn't know this.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Is anyone else getting a little annoyed at King's repetition shtick? "Stop. Stop. Stop."

He's a great writer, but its starting to bug me.

I'm a real sucker for obscure villians so this issue was a delight for me!

Getting to see Kite Man locked up still yelling his name was a great nod back to #6. I wonder if Colonel Blimp and Captain Stingaree are there too?

I didn't even recognise who Mayo was until I looked it up. Condiment King? 🍽

Nice little nod back to the Rebirth special too. I'm rather looking forward to seeing where this arc goes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    There's a universe where everything is Luchadores.

I WANT TO GO TO THE UNIVERSE WHERE EVERYTHING IS LUCHADORES.

Ultimate Member

In King's defense, as confirmed by Priest and others, the first arc of each Rebirth series was mandated by Johns/editorial. So essentially, Johns likely said Tom I need you to introduce a a female Superman-level character that tests Batman and will be used later on tying into Rebirth. Then Monster Men was filler because of the bi-weekly schedule. I look at this as the first issue of King's real run - and I refuse to believe that anyone who wrote Vision, Omega Men, Nightwing: Futures End and the GL one-shot will do anything but great work. I think everyone should give him a few issues here to get into a rhythm
    That just explained so much not just for Batman, Duke and so many other books.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    My best guest is that this "war" happened somewhere between the Zero Year and the beginning of the New 52 timeperiod.
    Ok so this event hasn't actually happened in the comics? It was mentioned for the first time ever in this issue?

I know Johns worked with many of the writers to lay groundwork for the Rebirths story, but where was it confirmed that the first arc of each Rebirth series was mandated by Johns and editorial?

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
    Ok so this event hasn't actually happened in the comics? It was mentioned for the first time ever in this issue?
    To my knowledge, it was the first time it was mentioned, so perhaps we could expect a Flashback arc around it in the future.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    Is anyone else getting a little annoyed at King's repetition shtick? "Stop. Stop. Stop."

He's a great writer, but its starting to bug me.
    Maybe he could give each repetition a different style to convey a more high or low pitched voice/emotion. Something like stop, STOOOOOOOOP, PLZ MAKE IT STOP.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

With the terrible Monster Men story done with I thought it was safe to come back as I thought King's first arc was okay but I wasn't sold by this issue. I loved the art, especially the coloring in that first sequence with Bane struggling against the water but the plot and general characterization of Bruce felt off to me.

As an aside, what did Catwoman do to need the silence of the lambs treatment?