Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Is Berganza the editor on the Supergirl mini? I thought it'd be like American Alien, which had two editors, neither of which were Berganza.
    I don't think we know yet, but in any case we know that "a ban on female creators " is incorrect.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I don't think we know yet, but in any case we know that "a ban on female creators " is incorrect.
    They do seem to be keeping female creators away from him.

CBR reported that even though Emanuela Lupacchino was working on the Superman line, there were no women that reported directly to Berganza.

That's very little information that doesn't imply much, especially considering the same article makes it clear that no such policy had been verified and it also lists her as a creator on "Superwoman."

In any case it's obvious that whatever the correspondence level with a particular editor, there is no such policy. Whatever people choose to speculate, the Superman office has three female creators employed and a series run by Phil Jimenez.

BANNED

That's very little information that doesn't imply much, especially considering the same article makes it clear that no such policy had been verified and it also lists her as a creator on "Superwoman."

In any case it's obvious that whatever the correspondence level with a particular editor, there is no such policy. Whatever people choose to speculate, the Superman office has three female creators employed and a series run by Phil Jimenez.
    The lack of an official policy doesn't mean the powers that be avoid putting female creators on books which would lead them to reporting to Berganza.

We know that one of the female creators doesn't report to Berganza. If Bennett was on Action Comics, she would have to report to him, so her on Action Comics now seems unlikely to happen as long as Berganza is the editor on that book if the rumors are true, which some of us believe are.

Her run on Action seems unlikely because there's nothing to indicate it was something even on the verge of existing.

I wonder if, since they do have Jimenez present, someone will pick his brains about the state of the office and mainstream in general. After all, the Spider office for example is considerably less diverse.

BANNED

Her run on Action seems unlikely because there's nothing to indicate it was something even on the verge of existing.
    It's not that she was on the verge of taking over Action Comics, it's that as long as Berganza is editor of Action Comics, expecting a woman to write it is fruitless.

Dispenser Of Truth said he hoped the lack of Jurgens at NYC Comic-Con coupled with Action Comics selling less than any of the other Super titles meant that he was on the way out and suggested Marguerite Bennett as a possible replacement, if Jurgens is indeed on the way out. Ascended then reminded us of the rumors about Berganza and how female talent was kept away from him.

So if and when Jurgens moves on from Action Comics, out of all the people DC might pick to take over, Marguerite Bennett probably won't even be considered.

I wonder if, since they do have Jimenez present, someone will pick his brains about the state of the office and mainstream in general. After all, the Spider office for example is considerably less diverse.
    I hope someone does.

I don't expect him to say anything about Berganza specifically, but I'm sure he has a lot to say about the industry.

Consideration really can't tell us anything unless she's picked. We're pretty much in the dark outside of BC making an erroneous report. That her gender will have anything to do with the outcome is a stretch. In a section of the industry run by and largely catering to a white male audience, a white male is a pretty passive choice.

Jurgens selling on Action... it's still pretty early. I'd be curious to see some insider trending since the most concrete info I see are your thread and comichron, which don't indicate that Action is really under performing just yet.

BANNED

Consideration really can't tell us anything unless she's picked. We're pretty much in the dark outside of BC making an erroneous report. That her gender will have anything to do with the outcome is a stretch. In a section of the industry run by and largely catering to a white male audience, a white male is a pretty passive choice.
    This comes down to whether you believe the rumors or not.

I do, so as long as Berganza is the editor on Action Comics, I don't see Bennett as a possibility for that book because she's a woman.

Jurgens selling on Action... it's still pretty early. I'd be curious to see some insider trending since the most concrete info I see are your thread and comichron, which don't indicate that Action is really under performing just yet.
    It's not underperforming, but it's not as popular as Superman, especially digitally.

For instance, Superman #1, #2, #3, and #4 are in the 400s today on the digital charts on page 18. Action Comics #961 is in the high 400s, on page 21, despite coming out after each of the Superman issues listed.

Superman is doing much better of job of charting on the best sellers list than Action Comics. Recently, Superman went from charting lower than Justice League to charting higher.

Superman is connecting with people in a way that Action Comics isn't. Action Comics is doing fine, but it could be doing better as shown by Superman.

If this panel takes questions from the audience, it really would be nice if some people could ask about new52 Superman. In a world with at least three different simultaneous versions of The Flash, and 36 books with once or twice monthly schedules, they could find a place for a guy who was the star of often as many as 5-6 concurrently running books for five years up until Rebirth. New52 Clark was even in the Justice League, etc.. He was a central part of what DC Comics was during that era.

And, sure, some people prefer SuperDad (Although whether the early sales success will hold up or not remains to be seen) and are vocal is their dislike of the new52 Superman, *but* it seems like they could at least give the new52 Clark one monthly somehow even if he's not going to be "the man" in the main titles, teamups and cross overs. Maybe the solution is an alternate universe monthly where he just continues his story in a new52 universe that the rest of the DC Universe has now diverged from but that continues for him. Or he could live on in the main DC universe concurrently with SuperDad either as a Superman or with a different but similar heroic identity (Maybe wearing a green accented [In honor of his biological parents] version of the Superman suit with the high collar and Kryptonian body armor and just calling himself Kal-El or whatever).

The theme of Rebirth according to many of the principles was focusing on the characters people were attached to. Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one attached to new52 Superman. Let's find a place for him.

He doesn't have to be wildly popular to justify a single monthly focused on his continuing adventures. I mean, there are monthies devoted to a ton of things that wouldn't have the fan base this would have. If they insist on SuoerDad being "the man" right now, in a sense that'd take a lot of sales pressures and expectations off new52 Superman's hypothetical title. It wouldn't have to sell like, well, Superman, it'd just have to sell like a decent new comic about a different character, and I think it could easily do that. They could also get a Grant Morrision or a Grek Pak or whomever and give whomever they choose a ton of creative leeway, because the franchise no longer hangs on it, so they could do really creative stuff with less interference and let SuperDad take the brunt of the more intense editorial and corporate directives that come with doing the main titles related to whomever the main Superman is.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 09-23-2016 at 11:36 PM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    If this panel takes questions from the audience, it really would be nice if some people could ask about new52 Superman. In a world with at least three different simultaneous versions of The Flash, and 36 books with once or twice monthly schedules, they could find a place for a guy who was the star of often as many as 5-6 concurrently running books for five years up until Rebirth. New52 Clark was even in the Justice League, etc.. He was a central part of what DC Comics was during that era.

And, sure, some people prefer SuperDad (Although whether the early sales success will hold up or not remains to be seen) and are vocal is their dislike of the new52 Superman, *but* it seems like they could at least give the new52 Clark one monthly somehow even if he's not going to be "the man" in the main titles, teamups and cross overs. Maybe the solution is an alternate universe monthly where he just continues his story in a new52 universe that the rest of the DC Universe has now diverged from but that continues for him. Or he could live on in the main DC universe concurrently with SuperDad either as a Superman or with a different but similar heroic identity (Maybe wearing a green accented [In honor of his biological parents] version of the Superman suit with the high collar and Kryptonian body armor and just calling himself Kal-El or whatever).

The theme of Rebirth according to many of the principles was focusing on the characters people were attached to. Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one attached to new52 Superman. Let's find a place for him.

He doesn't have to be wildly popular to justify a single monthly focused on his continuing adventures. I mean, there are monthies devoted to a ton of things that wouldn't have the fan base this would have. If they insist on SuoerDad being "the man" right now, in a sense that'd take a lot of sales pressures and expectations off new52 Superman's hypothetical title. It wouldn't have to sell like, well, Superman, it'd just have to sell like a decent new comic about a different character, and I think it could easily do that. They could also get a Grant Morrision or a Grek Pak or whomever and give whomever they choose a ton of creative leeway, because the franchise no longer hangs on it, so they could do really creative stuff with less interference and let SuperDad take the brunt of the more intense editorial and corporate directives that come with doing the main titles related to whomever the main Superman is.
    Superdad on the Superman book and NuSuperman on Action Comics (with a better writer), NuSuperman back on JL and Superdad moves to Steve Orlando's JLA.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Superdad on the Superman book and NuSuperman on Action Comics (with a better writer), NuSuperman back on JL and Superdad moves to Steve Orlando's JLA.
    Works for me!

BANNED

Jurgens isn't leaving and New-52 Superman isn't getting a book, PERIOD.

Sure he will. Maybe not right now, but he will leave eventually. Nothing wrong with people hoping its sooner than later for the sake of a once good book gone bad.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Yeah, it's the worst selling out of the Super-Family books as of August 2016 (granted by only a few hundred copies, but to the second issue of an ancillary Superman Family title with no preexisting history or media exposure or ties to the larger universe). It doesn't crack the top 30 - issue #962 not the top 40 - and while it's nowhere near 'we have a problem' numbers, it's still selling worse than every other Superman-related book in spite of being the flagship that's driving the plot for all of them, and it suffered a bigger issue-to-issue drop that month than Superman. Given it's a prominent relaunch for the title and it's the most plot-significant of the bunch (i.e. it has Superman re-revealing himself to the world, reintegrating himself into the world, fighting Lex, and learning more about Mr. Oz making it the one book I know of prominently and consistently tied into the larger DC Rebirth plotline), it's fair to say it should probably be doing better. If they got that selling as well as Action Comics by all rights should, pretty much every Superman book would be a winner for what it is at this point.

Given Clementine pretty reasonably argued against Bennett likely being given that position, my vote's for Tom Taylor. He's prominent but not so popular as to be inaccessible for a line that clearly isn't being given much to work with, he's worked in that editorial office before, he likes the character. The alternative is keeping Jurgens now that the "my crappy character was in a critically lambasted movie the company is publicly pivoting away from!" luster has faded, and look, chalk it up to the double shipping-schedule or it being past his time (or if you're me him always having been third-rate), but his current stuff is basically unsuitable for publication. Utterly tone-deaf dialogue, meandering plots, cliche beats...this barely would have passed muster in the 90s, much less 2016 for anyone who wasn't associated as a 'name' in regards to the character. The very concept of him writing the first Big Two #1000 issue for the biggest superheroes' 80th anniversary in what might be the year of his next movie the way he's clearly hinted at is beyond inexcusable. That's an industry event, and he's...not a guy who's going to be able to give any weight to that. He might well stick onboard anyway if Johns is in his corner, I'm just saying that's a terrible idea that would ultimately leave what should be a slam dunk for DC an eternal afterthought.
    Buh-bye

It'll get to "we have a problem" numbers soon if the quality doesn't take a huge jump up. The Rebirth hype is waning (that's not an insult, its just no longer "new"; happens to every initiative). So that's not going to be a crutch for it much longer. The other crutch is the mystery factor. And that too will be wrapping up soon. That's why his New Clark storyline needs to have a big payoff. If that's a stinker then the book is going to drop like a stone.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-24-2016 at 01:51 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El