View Poll Results: Which decade did you start reading comics?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1940s (whoa!)

0 0%
  • 1950s

1 0.95%
  • 1960s

14 13.33%
  • 1970s

31 29.52%
  • 1980s

29 27.62%
  • 1990s

17 16.19%
  • 2000s

8 7.62%
  • 2010s (welcome!)

5 4.76%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

In the 80s. I had read them in the early 80s along with those little paperback books full of comic strips, but I got into them in earnest in 1986. Memorable issues I remember getting from that period were a three pack of Voltron comics, one of those big boxes of random Marvel and D.C. comics you could get from the Sears Christmas Catalog that included a bunch of Morlock Massacre X-Men issues, and Son of Ambush Bug, which was a TRIP for a ten-year-old. A bit later I became a huge Mad Magazine fan, then National Lampoon and old Warren Magazines and eventually Gladstone EC reprints and, well, my brain was well and truly rotted and has been ever since.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

The 90s and I recall getting the spider man clones saga as a birthday present.
    I was innocent its a awful story arc as this was back in the day no Internet, and asked for 0 opinions or reviews when deciding on getting comic books.

Same era as Ghost Rider(danketch), Hal Jordan becoming Parallax, death of Superman killed by Doomsday, etc.

1970. Can't recall which I had first. I know I read Super Goof, Uncle Scrooge and Fox and the Crow early on; and, possibly, the Three Mouseketeers. Comics were a rare treat; so, I mostly read via friends and relatives, until I started earning my own money, by the mid-70s. Shazam #10 was one of the first superhero comics, of my own, that I ever received and read. Space Family Robinson and Turok, Son of Stone were also favorites, from Gold Key. I still recall reading things like the Gerber Defenders, with the Guardians of the Galaxy, Romita on Captain America, Daredevil's annual with Electro's Emmisaries of Evil, the early Treasury Editions, Adam Strange's wedding, in JLA, the Super Sons in World's Finest, the 4th World revival and more.

If it was a comic, I read it: DC, Marvel, Archie, Harvey, Gold Key, Charlton, Atlas/Seaboard and a single issue of Creepy (while in a hospital, which my roommate had, while I brought a Teen Titans). I even read those Christian Spire comics, that Archie distributed (talk about preachy comics...).

BANNED

Seventies for me.

But I only really got into American comics in th late 90's with books like Preacher,The Invisibles, and Batman books, and then following those writers to books like JLA, Captain America, Punisher, and the X-Men.

I started in the 90s but went through most of the 2000's without reading comics at all. Then picked it up again in the 2010's.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

I started in the late 1970s but it was exclusively Harvey Comics (Richie Rich / Casper/ Wendy / Spooky) until around '82 when I started reading Archie Comics and then graduated to DC (anything with Wonder Woman) and later Marvel (Defenders and Avengers at first).
    Last edited by wonderlad; 09-23-2016 at 01:37 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

For me, it was the early 1970's. Later on in the decade, I decided on a whim to buy Giant Size X-Men #1, turned out to have been a good decision at the time, even if I wasn't originally a fan of Marvel's merry mutants.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Technically it was the 1970's. The first Christopher Reeve Superman movie was my first superhero related experience and, not too long after, my Dad came home from work one evening with a copy of Superman #341 as a treat. My very first comic. So, I voted 1970's.

It really took off in earnest during the 1980's though. That's where the vast bulk of my childhood comic book memories take place. I read both DC and Marvel back then. Comics were so easy to pick up and afford then.

If you count things like The Beano then the 70s, but I put 80s because that's when I started on the proper stuff.

In 90's. Since very little I started reading comics of Tintin, Asterix, Mortadelo and Filemon, mostly. Later in my teens I discover Hellblazer, Punisher, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Batman, Corto Maltese, The Adventures of Giusseppe Bergman and more.

Extraordinary Member

I started in 2012.

Spectacular Member

The first Marvel comic I bought was Avengers #1. Before that I had noticed the new line at the Red & White store my mom always went to for meat and some other things. Previously I had checked out the monster books and thought the artwork was a cut above others brands. I was pretty much following all of the Marvel titles from Fantastic 4 #1 on, you could say. I had always looked over the DC ones and new they weren't for me. I was buying all of the Marvel titles except Sgt. Fury, western, and romance. Before that I had read Archie comics for a short while when the older kid next door was into them (that wasn't for very long), but didn't collect anything certain title.

Aspiring Comic Creator theBellrhino's Avatar

Early 90's for me (I was born in '88), but I started by reading some of my Dad's Batman comics from the 80's. Then Image came along and skewed my interests towards new stuff.
    "Just because there's a crack in something doesn't mean you throw it away."

Collected Edition and Graphic Novel Collection Current Standing:
    452 Books
    Single Issue Collection Current Standing:
    903 Issues

1970's. Some Marvel Team-Up with Spiderman & The Beast. Don't know the year but comics were .25 cents at the time. The 70's was the best for comics. We gave you the Punisher, Iron Fist, Ghost Rider, Power-Man, Ms. Marvel, All-New X-Men, Spider-Woman, Moon Knight and others.

Suck it 90's era.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    1970's. Some Marvel Team-Up with Spiderman & The Beast. Don't know the year but comics were .25 cents at the time. The 70's was the best for comics. We gave you the Punisher, Iron Fist, Ghost Rider, Power-Man, Ms. Marvel, All-New X-Men, Spider-Woman, Moon Knight and others.

Suck it 90's era.
    To me, the greatest Marvel comic of the '70s was Tomb of Dracula.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?