View Poll Results: Which decade did you start reading comics?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1940s (whoa!)

0 0%
  • 1950s

1 0.95%
  • 1960s

14 13.33%
  • 1970s

31 29.52%
  • 1980s

29 27.62%
  • 1990s

17 16.19%
  • 2000s

8 7.62%
  • 2010s (welcome!)

5 4.76%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I started reading comics in 1989. The Batman movie got me interested.

In the 70s for the "Franco-Belge Bande dessinée" and 80s for US comics. - Marvel. But the nice thing was that they were publishing at the same time Marvel comics from the 60s, the 70s and the 80s. The best of 25 years at the same time. And very soon the 50s came in the game with EC comics. And Moebius, Schuiten... And Little Nemo... I've been quite busy with comics in my early teen years in France.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

First comic I remember reading was the comics section of the newspaper back when Calvin & Hobbes was still getting new strips.

First comic book I owned was Sonic the Hedgehog #13 (the one that tied in to Sonic 3).

First superhero comic I read was my brother's copy of Batman - the one where Bane broke Batman's back.

First superhero comic I owned was a trade of Dark Knight Returns.

So I started reading comics in the early nineties, but I didn't really pay regular attention to superheroes till the late 90s. Having trades at the library and the local bookstore helped.

Extraordinary Member

First comic I read I can't remember, as a kid I recall reading the odd comic, it must have been a Simpsons or even Spongebob one.

Some undefined period post 1983 with Archie comics like this one.

Late 1987/early 1988 for superhero comics.

What a difference.
    Last edited by nx01a; 09-23-2016 at 11:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    To me, the greatest Marvel comic of the '70s was Tomb of Dracula.
    For me, it was Master of Kung Fu, with Moench and Gulacy. Tomb of Dracula was awesome; but, I preferred martial arts-meets-spy-fi to horror. Either way, you couldn't beat Gulacy or Colan for atmospheric art, except maybe Don Newton and Jim Aparo.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    In the 70s for the "Franco-Belge Bande dessinée" and 80s for US comics. - Marvel. But the nice thing was that they were publishing at the same time Marvel comics from the 60s, the 70s and the 80s. The best of 25 years at the same time. And very soon the 50s came in the game with EC comics. And Moebius, Schuiten... And Little Nemo... I've been quite busy with comics in my early teen years in France.
    For me, it was more the reverse. I'd been reading US comics since 1970; but, started reading European comics, in earnest, in the early 90s. Aside from a couple of Heavy Metals, Archie Goodwin helped launch me along the path, with his collaboration with Pepe Moreno, on Generation Zero. That led to Rebel and Zeppelin. From there, it exploded into a ton of stuff from Catalan Communications (Igort, Vittorio Giardino, Bilal, Varene, several more), NBM (Schuiten, Druillet, Caza, Segrelles, more Giardino), Dark Horse (Cheval Noir, Rocco Vargas,), Humanoids (their 90's/2000s partnership with DC, with Bilal, Charland, Boucq, Jodorowsky & Best) and, now Cinebook (Valerian, Lucky Luke, Spirou & Fantasio, Blake & Mortimer, Antares, Long John Silver, XIII and much, much more).

I had friends who were reading X-men and Spider-Man in the early 80s, but I would only glance at them at the time.

Then in the late 80s, I saw the cover for Emerald Dawn, and for some reason I was so drawn to it, I had to read it. Then the Batman movie came out in 1989, and I was all onboard.

Close to 1973, I was 6 years old, we went on a trip, for a week, to the beach and my mom brought a few comics to keep me busy. Talk about a rite of passage, I saw the ocean for the first time and fell in love with comic books and reading.

Early 80's for me. '81/'82. I would have been 11 or 12 years old.

I think it started with Disney comics (remember the UK had a different format to the U.S.). I had this newsagents just up the road from where I lived. It was run by this super friendly Irish guy. A pretty young woman worked in there although I only thought of her as pretty at 11 as opposed to 'fit'. (Even then I had an eye for the lady's). LOL.

I used to use pretty much all my tuck money in that shop trying to buy up their Disney comics. My tuck came from the spare change I got when buying my dad his cigarettes. (yes, in those days, minors were allowed to buy ciggarettes). I used to buy him 6/7 packets at a time and I'd keep the change from a £10 note - sometimes that could could over £1!!

I then moved onto Star Wars - again, the UK editions which were A4 sized (I think) and had backup strips that ranged from Blade Runner the movie adaptation right up to Power Pack.

From there, it was seamless into Superhero comics. My first hero's were Superman mostly and a bit of Spiderman.

When I hit about 14/15 I made a few friends at school who were heavy into comics and that was it - just exploded overnight. We'd collect everything from the X-men series, Batman, Akira. We'd buy any Alan Moore, Miller, Gaimen etc. I remember a few years after I started working, I'd spend about £20 a week at either Gosh, FP or another store just round the corner (can't remember it's name now??).

I used to buy books from creators I liked, characters I liked, crossover events or just because the guy over the counter told me I'd love it.

Good times they were - when it came to comics anyway.

BANNED

Im an 1980s child so I started reading the good stuff back then and was raised on these

Groo
    Power Pack
    Alpha Flight
    Conan the Barbarian 1980s Marvel Comics
    1984 Marvel Comics Star Wars
    Elfquest
    a little bit of the 1980s Uncanny X Men which was mostly of mullet hairdo Rogue, Wolverine, Colossus, Kitty Pryde, and whoever was in the X Men at the time

The old NOW Comics series of Ghostbusters, Terminator and Fright Night

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I read them here and there in the late-60s and throughout the 70s, but didn't really start regularly until 1981.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Mid 70s for me. My introduction to floppies was the result of a rather stormy Sunday at my grandparent's spent poking around in boxes and trunks in the attic. A rather dog eared copy of Batman #156 once owned by an uncle I never knew was my first comic book. After that I would save up my chore money to buy comics from the spinner racks at the grocery or drug store. Before that day comics to me meant the strips in the two Sunday papers my grandparents got read to me by my father or grandfather complete with different voices for the various characters.My favorites of those were Peanuts and Prince Valiant. I couldn't get enough of Prince Valiant.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 09-28-2016 at 11:42 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Fantastic Member

The 90's, cause that's when I was born!

Quote Originally Posted by lalalei2001 View Post
    The 90's, cause that's when I was born!
    But you know your classics from Bronze and Silver Age !