Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Has anyone seen anything new about the chance for an expansion team, or relocation?

It seems Seattle has been getting the most attention, but is there anywhere besides maybe Quebec (Nordiques) that could support a new team? I think one article had even mentioned the possibility of a second team in Toronto. The West of course needs more teams, so that complicates things a bit.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

My Flyers opened training camp yesterday, and already things got off on the wrong foot after captain Claude Giroux left the ice with a "lower body injury" and will be out for two weeks. URGH!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Well, my Flyers drop the puck on the new season in Boston tonight! Can't wait for hockey to start up! WHOO!!

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

It's a Hockey Night in Pittsburgh!
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    It's a Hockey Night in Pittsburgh!
    Love it.

Also liked the Sharks exacting some revenge on Los Angeles last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Wedge Antilles View Post
    Love it.

Also liked the Sharks exacting some revenge on Los Angeles last night.
    Can't fault the Sharks for wanting to spoil the Kings home opener where they unveiled the Cup banner and rubbed in the Cup victory again However, the Kings are still one of the teams to beat in the long run. My money is on Chicago winning the Cup this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Kings repeated.

Toronto was off to their usual weird start. Not too many games last night, but I'm looking forward to the highlights from tonight.

Hockey is back!
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

...and the Oilers pick up right where they left off last season.

My Flyers, now 0-2, took it on the chin last night, losing 6-4 to the Devils who have never been seen as a scoring juggernaut. The defense was less than excellent and goalie Steve Mason was downright poor, letting in I'd say three questionable goals. Hopefully, we'll notch our first win Saturday night as Les Habitants comes to town.

Stars and Hawks had an entertaining game. Both sides kept up a fast pace through most of it, but the Hawks skill got the better of them in the shootout. Kane made a few defensemen look plain silly.

But all in all Im not too disappointed. Stars gave a good effort but are still obviously not quite to that level yet, while the Hawks are near their peak imo.
    Last edited by Ghost; 10-10-2014 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Stars and Hawks had an entertaining game. Both sides kept up a fast pace through most of it, but the Hawks skill got the better of them in the shootout. Kane made a few defensemen look plain silly.

But all in all Im not too disappointed. Stars gave a good effort but are still obviously not quite to that level yet, while the Hawks are near their peak imo.
    I think the Dallas Stars may be a credible threat this year. They added a couple of pieces and they were on the brink of making the playoffs last year. They just join the already overly-dangerous West in teams to watch out for, IMO.

Only one game last night, with the Islanders and Hurricanes. While the West seems to be getting stronger and stronger, teams like Islanders and Hurricanes just lower the average in the East, IMO. Islanders seems to have been pretty active in the off-season and if Tavares can return strong from what he was doing last year, pre-injury, then the Islanders may surprise a few people this year.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

The Hurricanes are either gonna be a strong contender for the #1 draft pick (the McDavid/Eichel Sweepstakes), or they'll fight to finish 10th.

For the sake of the fans, I'd be happy with them sucking eggs instead of trying to put some effort, especially since Skinner & Jordan Staal are gonna be out until 2015.

Also, I don't think it's been mentioned, but the ECHL had an emergency merger with the Central Hockey League this past week, so instead of a 21 team league, it's now a 28 team league that starts their regular season next week. I also mention this because the Indy Fuel begin their first match Friday night against Fort Wayne. Every home game's on local TV, to boot.

My Flyers took a 3-0 lead into the third period against Montreal last night, but then, the Habs stepped on the gas, outskated, outshot and outhustled the Orange and Black, tied the score, then won in a shootout. Frustrating!

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    The Hurricanes are either gonna be a strong contender for the #1 draft pick (the McDavid/Eichel Sweepstakes), or they'll fight to finish 10th.

For the sake of the fans, I'd be happy with them sucking eggs instead of trying to put some effort, especially since Skinner & Jordan Staal are gonna be out until 2015.
    It sucks for the 'Canes fans, cuz I think Skinner is an amazing talent, who has been plagued by concussion issues. Also, I wanted Jordan Staal to be traded to Toronto for a legitimate number 1 centre, but he wanted to play with his brother. Jordan Staal hasn't worked out as well as I thought he would. During the playoffs, he would be the one Pittsburgh Penguin that I felt was trying, when it looked like Malkin and Crosby had their talent go dry. It's too bad Jordan suffered that injury, but that might work out in the end for the 'Canes.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    My Flyers took a 3-0 lead into the third period against Montreal last night, but then, the Habs stepped on the gas, outskated, outshot and outhustled the Orange and Black, tied the score, then won in a shootout. Frustrating!
    Yeah, that would be a bad beat for any fan to take. Trust me, WPP. I think you and I will be suffering through a long NHL season. You as a Philly fan and me as an Oilers fan. Only thing is, I foresee the Flyers making the playoffs. Not so much for my Oilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Yeah, that would be a bad beat for any fan to take. Trust me, WPP. I think you and I will be suffering through a long NHL season. You as a Philly fan and me as an Oilers fan. Only thing is, I foresee the Flyers making the playoffs. Not so much for my Oilers.
    To quote Jim Mora Sr., "Playoffs? Playoffs?" First thing first, the Flyers need to win a game, I'll worry about the postseason later, MUCH later.

Granted, it's only two games, but my Pittsburgh Penguins are dispelling the critics (myself included) who felt change in supporting cast players was unnecessary.

I was all for change at the head coaching position, and I like what I see of Mike Johnston's direction after two games.