Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Default Should Remender have been the head writer for the X-men in Marvel Now?

After reading Remender's run on Uncanny Avengers and little reading on his X-Force, it seemed to me that he should've been the guy to be the head writer for the X-men instead of Bendis. His Uncanny Avengers story with Red Skull and the Apocalypse twins was like an official X-men universe story than a Marvel universe story. I always felt that Xavier's brain being stolen should've been the X-men number one priority to get back but it looked like none of them was aware of this situation besides the ones on the Unity team. This story was also a after result of AvX but little to no X-men were involved when the point of the team was unity between mutants. Now with the Apocalypse twins it felt like a X-men storyline that should of involved the X-men.

Now I don't hate Bendis run with a passion there was some likable stuff that can be salvaged but I honestly think Remender should of spear headed the X-men during Marvel Now. What do you guys think?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    After reading Remender's run on Uncanny Avengers and little reading on his X-Force, it seemed to me that he should've been the guy to be the head writer for the X-men instead of Bendis. His Uncanny Avengers story with Red Skull and the Apocalypse twins was like an official X-men universe story than a Marvel universe story. I always felt that Xavier's brain being stolen should've been the X-men number one priority to get back but it looked like none of them was aware of this situation besides the ones on the Unity team. This story was also a after result of AvX but little to no X-men were involved when the point of the team was unity between mutants. Now with the Apocalypse twins it felt like a X-men storyline that should of involved the X-men.

Now I don't hate Bendis run with a passion there was some likable stuff that can be salvaged but I honestly think Remender should of spear headed the X-men during Marvel Now. What do you guys think?
    Nope

As bad as the doom and gloom thing has been under Lemire, it would be a million times worse with Remender at the head. He is a one trick pony that can only tell stories about deconstruction plus he doesn't even understand what the metaphor for X-men is. His last great story was the Dark Angel Saga.

BANNED

HandofPrometheus :
    Remender has great ideas but he don't know how to use them.
    His sales were questionable (issue 1 - 303 000, issue 13 - 60 000), he lost 80% of readers
    Extraordinary (issue 1 -124 000, 13 - 45 000)
    If Extraordinary would lose the same percent of fans ... issue 13 - would have 25 000)

No, he shouldn`t.

Unglaublich!

God, definitely not!!

I didn't enjoy any of Remender's storylines....

he doesnt seem to able to separate his own view of what the x-men stand for, from his writing ,#callmealex, so no, he should never touch a x-men book ever again

Couldn't have been any worse, would likely have been far better.

So, yes.

As usual I'm in the minority. But I love Remender. I think Uncanny X-Force is the most definitive X-Men we've had since Morrison/Whedon, tho to be fair I lump it with CY/CY like I do Morrison/Whedon. It was solid writing, a core cast, continuity heavy, connected to the rest of the line while still doing its own thing. It might not have been the flagship, but it was much more of note in X-Cannon than anything else in the period. I also enjoyed his Uncanny Avengers and hate that he seemed to up and left the title so abruptly. I'd be interested to see his take on the X-Men. I think he might be too heavy for a flagship book though.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Rick "Call me Alex" Remender on the flagship? Nah, not for me. He didn't get the minority metaphor and was explicit about not wanting to use it. I'm glad he's found greater success with his creator owned work and hope he never feels like heading back over to the Big Two.

BANNED

Anduinel :
    Are You talking about this?
    tumblr_mn6a5w0CZa1sp1wslo1_1280.jpg

We saw him on a flagship book in Uncanny Avengers and that was awful. We are still dealing with stuff from that run where it feels like the rest of the MU has already moved on from.

Honestly, he should have just been allowed to continue his X-Men story in the UXF type of books he was on, but Marvel wanted him to cram the Avengers into his ongoing X-Men story and that pretty much ruined it. It was never designed to be the type of story where the Avengers were supposed to take up so much room.

Edit: Although if you are asking me to pick between Remender and Bendis then I'd take Remender every time. Bendis' time on the X Books was one of the worst comic experiences I've had to put up with. Only the art made it tolerable.
    Last edited by Badou; 09-23-2016 at 12:22 AM.

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

I enjoyed his stuff and even though I understand his handling of the Rogue/Havok in particular is very divisive, his Annual was great fun and showed a love and understanding of the characters quite well:

The problem for me is that there are two many auteurs running around simultaneously. That said I enjoyed Bendis's take on the X-Men quite alot, perhaps more than his Avengers in certain respects.

No. His UXF was great but his run on Uncanny Avengers was awful

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    HandofPrometheus :
    Remender has great ideas but he don't know how to use them.
    His sales were questionable (issue 1 - 303 000, issue 13 - 60 000), he lost 80% of readers
    Extraordinary (issue 1 -124 000, 13 - 45 000)
    If Extraordinary would lose the same percent of fans ... issue 13 - would have 25 000)
    A good count. I do not understand why a lot of people think that classical writers better than new.

It would've been interesting. I certainly would've given it a chance. After his run on Uncanny X-Force, Rick Remender proved himself as capable of crafting a well-developed X-men story. Uncanny Avengers wasn't quite on the same level of quality, but it was still above average for the most part. I think he would've done well as the lead writer of X-men during Marvel NOW. I certainly would've embraced the concept.

However, as good as Remender is, his name just doesn't carry as much weight as Brian Michael Bendis. Like it or not, Bendis is Marvel's best-known writer. Thanks to Ultimate Spider-Man, he is basically part of their brand. His name alone carries a series in terms of sales. That's really the only reason Marvel needs to put him on a book. Plus, by having so much weight behind his name, Bendis can request things and get them easier than someone like Remender. I don't think Kitty Pryde would be in Guardians of the Galaxy had Bendis not requested her. It's just the nature of the business.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.