All-New Member

Default Where to begin with ASM??

Hello. So I've always been a Spider Man fan, but have never stuck with comics much. I just finished #1-39 of ultimate spider man and am going to continue with that, but I've been delving into Spider mans extensive history and saw that at one point the main Marvel universe and the ultimate one collide with secret wars. So I would like to catch up to where ASM is now, but would also like to start somewhere where I can get some good back ground knowledge. I was thinking about JSMs run of ASM since there was a reboot in 1999. I was wondering what anyone's input might be? If there's a better starting place or if JSM is a good jumping on point?

Thanks

Yes go ahead with JMS.

One thing to know, while yes the Ultimate line clashes with the regular line, that more has to do with Miles Morales (from Ultimate line) than with Peter Parker.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

One resource I'd recommend for you is a subscription to Marvel's Digital Unlimited service, which allows access to stories from different eras. It'll give you a sense of what type of comics you enjoy. If you don't like JMS's run, you might realize you enjoy the current comics. If you don't like the current comics, you might realize you enjoy the older stuff.

A good jump-on point is Amazing Spider-Man #546, the first regular issue by the writer who is still on the book, and the beginning of a new era of the comics.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by browntownspidey View Post
    since there was a reboot in 1999
    FYI the '99 reboot was so much of a commercial failure that it wasn't soon considered a reboot. It did not end up changing anything in the continuity.

All-New Member

When exactly do they clash with each other?