Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

I'm very much enjoying Magneto's current direction as an anti-hero. The X-Men have plenty of villains (and former heroes) to choose from as antagonists. For instance, I'm glad to see Exodus being used again as a legitimate threat, and I'd love to see inverted-Havok (if he's not dead from the Terrigen crap) and Bishop form a new Brotherhood.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    An 80s comic is your evidence to whine about the most charismatic mutant in history? I have heard it all...lol
    Magneto fans are funny. Your lord and savior relies on his teammates whenever he knows he can't get the job done. First it was Storm and then it became Cyclops. Your megalomaniac works better when he falls in line and follows someone else.
    Last edited by Arya; 10-04-2016 at 12:05 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhySoFuriousGeorge View Post
    Did you really post that Magneto/Storm scan to make a case for Magneto feeling incompetent? His competency wasn't the problem here, it was his fear of reverting to his villainous ways. Are you sure you used the right word here?
    His lack of confidence in his past position was based on his villainous incompetence. He was afraid he would revert back because it was safer and he needed a pep-talk. I get it, it's ok to have him rely on the X-Men leaders for support when dealing with his insecurities and failures.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post
    I'm very much enjoying Magneto's current direction as an anti-hero. The X-Men have plenty of villains (and former heroes) to choose from as antagonists. For instance, I'm glad to see Exodus being used again as a legitimate threat, and I'd love to see inverted-Havok (if he's not dead from the Terrigen crap) and Bishop form a new Brotherhood.
    Why Bishop?

Let me ask a question.

Who is the current ("Magneto" mutant terrorist of the world?)
    Who is creating or has a voice for the mutant race other than the Xmen?

Either create one to fill the Void.

Or return Magento to his right place.

Yikes. The hatred for a iconic character, ladies and gentlemen. LOL.
    I think Magneto is a great character. He's just a very damaged, one. And a villain at the end of the day.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I think Magneto is a great character. He's just a very damaged, one. And a villain at the end of the day.
    I agree with this, the problem is he always makes everything worse.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arya View Post
    His lack of confidence in his past position was based on his villainous incompetence. He was afraid he would revert back because it was safer and he needed a pep-talk. I get it, it's ok to have him rely on the X-Men leaders for support when dealing with his insecurities and failures.
    There's nothing here, or anywhere else for that matter, to indicate that he felt his villainous ways were incompetent. You're reading something into this scene that simply isn't there. Now Magneto doubting his commitment to doing better from a moral standpoint and leaning on Storm for support, that's what's actually on-panel here.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

In any case, you can't act like he's a full time villain without proper reasoning. No one has shown better reasoning and had more fleshed out reasoning in X comics than the Magneto character. A big reason why he's the most popular villain in Marvel history.
    I totally agree with you there. That has always been Marvel's hallmark. Their villains have depth of character, well-reasoned facets, and a sense of humanity that endear them to readers. The odd thing is that I have always liked Magneto more than Xavier, even though if he existed in real life, there's no way that my conscience would allow me to support him. Xavier's dream just rings hollow to me. It's too pie in the sky. It's impossible to snuff out hatred, or individuals seeking to lord their comparative advantages over others. If the human species ever achieved that dream, it's only because they have collectively found other mutual targets for their hatred. Bring on the Badoon, the Skrulls or whomever thousands of years from now. That's the only way that homo sapiens sapiens and homo sapiens superior will get along without fail.

BANNED

There's nothing here, or anywhere else for that matter, to indicate that he felt his villainous ways were incompetent. You're reading something into this scene that simply isn't there. Now Magneto doubting his commitment to doing better from a moral standpoint and leaning on Storm for support, that's what's actually on-panel here.
    It's called symbolism. Magneto turned a trident, a symbol of piercing and war into another symbol of war, his helmet. He wanted to go back to it but choose instead to drop it in the mud. That meant war and his old way of handling it didn't work and it failed. That's not reaching, it's just reading as much meaning in the art as the words.His old way was full of mistakes, incompetence., failure. He actually showed genuine remorse.
    Last edited by Arya; 10-04-2016 at 01:24 PM.

BANNED

It's called symbolism. Magneto turned a trident, a symbol of piercing and war into another symbol of war, his helmet. He wanted to go back to it but choose instead to drop it in the mud. That meant war and his old way of handling it didn't work and it failed. That's not reaching, it's just reading as much meaning in the art as the words.His old way was full of mistakes, incompetence., failure. He actually showed genuine remorse.
    None of that means that he conducted himself incompetently when he was a villain. A person can give their all and still not succeed, and it doesn't make their efforts incompetent. The X-Men have been fighting for mutant/human coexistence for years and have failed, so does that make their all of their efforts incompetent? Or did they simply fail? So thanks for the would-be lesson on symbolism, but it really wasn't necessary.

I would prefer him as a villain if I had any faith that Marvel wouldn't write him as a rambling lunatic.
    Game Over man! Game Over!

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Why Bishop?
    Because he's already proven he's not above trying to kill children to prevent his future from happening. Because his attempts to reshape the outcome of his own history could make for some very complex motivations and some very well-written stories, giving him the kind of grey morality that made Magneto such a fun villain. Because I'm honestly surprised he's not playing a role in "Civil War II." And because his powers would make him a very dangerous villain--he'll absorb almost anything you throw at him. Surround him with some like-minded types (Evil Havok, some of the future X-Men from "Battle of the Atom," etc.), along with some of the normally good-aligned X-Men who are just terrified of the Terrigen Mists and are willing to take a chance on working with a scary guy who might be able to save them.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

BANNED

I agree with this, the problem is he always makes everything worse.
    I think he's doing a good job for mutants in Uncanny, and this time around (in a couple of months) we will see STORM and her team coming to his side. What Magneto always feared turned out to be true. They have to go to war for their survival, and no one is going to help them.

BANNED

None of that means that he conducted himself incompetently when he was a villain. A person can give their all and still not succeed, and it doesn't make their efforts incompetent. The X-Men have been fighting for mutant/human coexistence for years and have failed, so does that make their all of their efforts incompetent? Or did they simply fail? So thanks for the would-be lesson on symbolism, but it really wasn't necessary.
    Humans aren't threatening mutants these days. The true threat is the terrigen mists.