Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Is this the thread to talk about Magneto's glorious appearance in Captain Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Namor'sWrath View Post
    Is this the thread to talk about Magneto's glorious appearance in Captain Marvel?
    It was pretty epic.

I like how he called Aurora out too.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    It was pretty epic.

I like how he called Aurora out too.
    It was epic. And Carol looked like a jackass. (I know, Mr. Gage has apologized for the "Hitler" line and says he'll fix it.) Whether or not Carol knew about Magneto's past as an Auschwitz survivor, even if she didn't, she still looks like an insensitive fool for saying that. Magneto is making a valid point--someone doesn't have to be an actual survivor of Nazi genocide to note how precognitive justice violates human liberty and human rights. I take particular umbrage at Carol's presumptions, too. It's the far right that keeps demeaning the use of the rise of the Nazis as a lesson from history. It's still a valid observation, a valid comparison for modern society.

Anyway, Magneto doing a little grandstanding was grand--I wonder if he had help finding the drones, too. He has the scientific knowledge to build a device that can detect, and he has Archangel who also (I think) can detect any cloaked device flying around.

Okay, so now I've derailed this thread. Probably should talk about CAPTAIN MARVEL #9 in the Magnus Family Thread or someplace else.

My favorite take on Magneto is when he is an anti-hero.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    Okay, so now I've derailed this thread. Probably should talk about CAPTAIN MARVEL #9 in the Magnus Family Thread or someplace else.
    Nah, you haven't derailed it at all. I think Magneto's appearance in CM#9 is a perfectly legitimate topic of discussion here, as it serves as a perfect example of the fine line that Magneto walks (and, let's be honest, stomps all over at times, lol).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Namor'sWrath View Post
    Just read it..it was good. Don't get to see current Carol deal with Magneto all that much...a shame Aurora is a puppet though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    It was epic. And Carol looked like a jackass. (I know, Mr. Gage has apologized for the "Hitler" line and says he'll fix it.) Whether or not Carol knew about Magneto's past as an Auschwitz survivor, even if she didn't, she still looks like an insensitive fool for saying that. Magneto is making a valid point--someone doesn't have to be an actual survivor of Nazi genocide to note how precognitive justice violates human liberty and human rights. I take particular umbrage at Carol's presumptions, too. It's the far right that keeps demeaning the use of the rise of the Nazis as a lesson from history. It's still a valid observation, a valid comparison for modern society.

Anyway, Magneto doing a little grandstanding was grand--I wonder if he had help finding the drones, too. He has the scientific knowledge to build a device that can detect, and he has Archangel who also (I think) can detect any cloaked device flying around.

Just the same it's just as insensitive for Magneto to claim things like camps on say Carol when there is no signs apparent or as such happening. So it was a trade of 1 for 1 of insults.

BANNED

He could of just said profiling...because that's all she doing, right? Something the Nazis did PROUDLY against Jews, homosexuals, Hungarians, etc.

Ultimate Member

And Magneto has never profiled anyone either I bet...not saying what the Nazis did was right just that Magneto has done much the same just about different groups...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    He could of just said profiling...because that's all she doing, right? Something the Nazis did PROUDLY against Jews, homosexuals, Hungarians, etc.
    Right cause Magneto has NEVERED profiled anyone who wasn't a Mutant correct and PROUDLY at that.

The guy who mated with a normal flatscan to produce what famed female character that shares a similar powerset as he does.... who's that person again?

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    Just the same it's just as insensitive for Magneto to claim things like camps on say Carol when there is no signs apparent or as such happening. So it was a trade of 1 for 1 of insults.
    Not an insult from Magneto. It's the truth. From his point of view, and mine, and many people, it's the truth. Carol's remark was ridiculous on several different levels. You don't tell a survivor of Auschwitz that his comment about injustice that leads to camps (something that has happened repeatedly and continues to happen) makes him like some guy on the Internet who lives in his mother's basement making Hitler comparisons. It was a completely facile and inappropriate remark. And the writers and editors have acknowledged that, and it will be changed in the trade paperback.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    And Magneto has never profiled anyone either I bet...not saying what the Nazis did was right just that Magneto has done much the same just about different groups...
    That's a completely different topic. Carol--Captain Marvel--is supposed to be a hero, someone sensitive to the suffering and feelings of others. Her comment was completely inappropriate, tactless, and shocking, coming from her.

Magneto's all-out fight to protect mutants--including the times when he was insane which he owns--and the irony of his methods and beliefs, given his history, is a different trope. First brought out dramatically by Mark Gruenwald in the CAPTAIN AMERICA issue where Magneto fought Red Skull for the first time. Scott Lobdell used to hammer the point home, too. During "Eve of Destruciton" Scott Summers spoke with great depth on the irony of the situation (he was talking to Logan). Cullen Bunn has touched on the topic, too. Magneto is well aware of the irony, of the comparisons. (Be careful when you battle what you hate, that you don't become what you hate in order to win.) He has a conscience and he knows--right now he's caught on the horns of this awful dilemma. Mutants in the Marvel Universe have been herded into camps, sent to gas chambers, experimented upon, enslaved, targeted for genocide and extinction. It's sometimes hard to see how Magneto is wrong; how do you defend your own family in a "nice" way when there are people out there trying to kill or capture them all the time?

Right cause Magneto has NEVERED profiled anyone who wasn't a Mutant correct and PROUDLY at that.
    profiling is a law enforcement technique. Magneto isn't law enforcement. what you're thinking of is prejudice. Magneto is prejudiced against non-mutants. I don't think that anyone is denying that. but you have to be in a position of power to discriminate against someone. Did Magneto deny humans housing? did he say that he wouldn't serve mutants at his diner?

The guy who mated with a normal flatscan to produce what famed female character that shares a similar powerset as he does.... who's that person again?
    I'm not sure what this question has to do with the first question. he dated Lee Forrester and got along just fine with the human employees of the x-mansion, as well. he's protected human beings before. what I'm getting at is that, like most racist people, he's constantly having to make exceptions to his internal rules. he loved Luna (I'd argue moreso than her father). he loved Magda. he loved his parents. he loved his uncle Max. he thought highly of Gabrielle Haller. he probably thought that Captain America was a swell guy; after confirming that he wasn't an anti-mutant bigot. Magneto's hatred of humans is, mostly, based on their perceived hatred of humanity. but that's just my take on it.

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Magneto is a tragic character, he's designed as a character that could have been so much more but who falls to his, very legitimate, inner demons. He is one of the few characters who works well walking on both sides of the line. He should fluctuate between protagonist and antagonist, between conflicted hero and sympathetic villain. Its that complexity that makes him a good character.

What he should never be is brought too far in either direction. He's never a "good" guy, he's frequently a bad guy, he's almost always pushing things too far but he should always be sympathetic. Personally I think Bunn has absolutely nailed the perfect Magneto characterization.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    profiling is a law enforcement technique. Magneto isn't law enforcement. what you're thinking of is prejudice. Magneto is prejudiced against non-mutants. I don't think that anyone is denying that. but you have to be in a position of power to discriminate against someone. Did Magneto deny humans housing? did he say that he wouldn't serve mutants at his diner?

Nope, wrong! don't be abtuse profiling is an ism which many people law enforcment or not show it. Magneto does when it comes to humans. So pull your head out your rear head for a min. This is a comic not real life and none of what your saying applies to most heroes in comics.

I'm not sure what this question has to do with the first question. he dated Lee Forrester and got along just fine with the human employees of the x-mansion, as well. he's protected human beings before. what I'm getting at is that, like most racist people, he's constantly having to make exceptions to his internal rules. he loved Luna (I'd argue moreso than her father). he loved Magda. he loved his parents. he loved his uncle Max. he thought highly of Gabrielle Haller. he probably thought that Captain America was a swell guy; after confirming that he wasn't an anti-mutant bigot. Magneto's hatred of humans is, mostly, based on their perceived hatred of humanity. but that's just my take on it.
    Lorna if you know your canon/continuity everything if I needed a breakdown of magneto's past i have my back issues to read.