All-New Member

Default Frank Quitely Animation

Hi all,

I've got some exciting news that I thought you might like to know. We're in the process of making a short animation that's been written by Frank Quitely. As you will already know he has worked for many years on some of the biggest titles with the likes of Mark Millar and Grant Morrison and I've always thought it would be great to see how Frank would approach animation.

Frank kindly agreed and worked with us to develop a short story he'd written (as you might imagine from his work the story is dark and richly layered). He has also done the character design and set design as well as the overall look and feel of the film. The Director is Will Adams from Once Were Farmers who has received two BAFTA nominations for his BBC work. Technical Director is Tom Bryant (Lead CG artist for the oscar wining "Lost Thing") from Interference Pattern who has taken on the asset build, lighting and comp. The music is being written by John Cummings (guitarist from Mogwai) who was recently involved in scoring all the music for the French supernatural thriller Les Revenants (The Returned) and as this is a dark.. horror story he will be able to get the mood perfectly.

The film will be a great show case of the kind of talent there is over here in Scotland and it's been a privilege to work with these guys and see how Frank would take the very different process of working for CG animation. We're nearing the end of production of the film with just Lighting and comp to go but we are going to start a Indiegogo campaign to help get the film finished off.

I hope to post some of the work in progress material here soon but in the meantime if you got any questions let me know...

All-New Member

The main character "Chris" has changed from the sketch's Frank did at the start as we began to refine the style and look of the animation. We looked long and hard at how we could keep close the Franks 2D style in a 3D animation. Ultimately it was combination of time and Frank's desire to see how he could adapt the character design for a CG world and how those changes would be reflected in the set design. A blend of keeping things looking realistic but with a stylised pull, playing with the characters proportions and those of the set.

The initial design was very much in a 2D style
    ChrisFINE_facebook.jpg

The later designs were simplified and stylised to work better in animation.
    Chris04w_FB.jpg

Thanks, keep us updated. Love Quitely's work.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

If there's an animated Quitely style movie I'll be first in line Love what he did with The Authority and Morrison's Batman

All-New Member

overview imageChrisDoor.jpg overview image Chris.jpg
    Hi Edhopper and Batnbreakfast.
    The short is coming along really well, we're into the last phases of production (lighting and comp) but we needing to raise a bit more money to get more CG artists in to help complete the film. We are really want the find to do justice to the quality of the story and Frank's design work so we're pushing it as far as we camd

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...e-film-comic#/

We've got an Indiegogo campaign running at the moment, if you head over you can see clips and stills from the film in the pitch video along with Frank and the rest of the creative team talking about the film. If we can make this as successful as possible there is a very good chance that Frank will be interested in do more writing and design for animation - so fingers crossed

If you can help spread the word about the film and the campaign that would fantastic.....

Work in progress of Frank's Main character - Chris
    Chris_Octane_POSED_03.jpg