Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    Feels like 2016 pretty much commited Harakiri by being this ultra competitive with all these big relaunches.
    and its only getting worse the next few years. Its insane.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KCJ506 View Post
    You said in your other post that in didn't come out in July. Unless you meant to put in June.

But w/e, I'm not getting into a argument over something like this.
    It should have said "Hancock didn't come out until July".

There really isn't an argument, the idea that that Hulk movies problem was an overpacked summer is silly. Sillier when you see the movie actually opened well, and it's problems hit in a weekend with not new big releases. It went from like the number one movie it's opening weekend to having a hard time doing what Kung Fu Panda did in its third week.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    Feels like 2016 pretty much commited Harakiri by being this ultra competitive with all these big relaunches.
    Yeah, this summer was stupid packed with movies. Those are just the ones with big budgets or that did really well. There's even more that was coming out between all those movies. And unlike 2008, the summer movie keep coming in August. In fact, both of the big DC movies fall just outside that April-July time frame.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Deadpool, Zootopia, Gods of Egypt, these would normally be summer movies, but in 2016 they're coming out in February. They probably should have just saved the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies movie for an October release given its not actually a big budget movie, and since it is a fun zombie movie that people maybe would have been a bit more likely to go out and see this time of the year. Pretty sure October has a grand total of zero fun look horror films coming out this year. Well, there is Ouija: Origin of Evil, that being a Mike Flanagan movie means it could actually turn out to be good. Although it probably won't be fun in the zombie action comedy horror movie way P&P&Z is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    and its only getting worse the next few years. Its insane.
    Unless thing change massively from how they've planned releases for next year, it looks less insane. Right now it looks like there's just fifteen big budget films coming out then, give or take like two.

Disney has three big movies coming out this winter, with Doctor Strange leading the charge on November 4th (the other two are Moana and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story). The first tracking data for the Sorcerer Supreme's big screen debut have been revealed this morning thanks to Deadline, and early projections are pointing to a strong opening weekend between $55 million - $75 million.

Ant-Man scored $57 million last year and went on to gross over $500 million worldwide, so yeah, this is definitely a good start for Doctor Strange. The trade points out that there is a strong interest across the board, and these numbers are actually expected to increase over the next few weeks (positive word of mouth from overseas where it opens first in many territories will also no doubt be a big help).

Chances are that these numbers would be even higher, but Marvel faces some stick competition that weekend. DreamWorks Animation's Trolls is expected to earn as much as $40 million, while there's also a lot of positive buzz surrounding Mel Gibson's Hacksaw Ridge starring Andrew Garfield. As things currently stand though, Doctor Strange will easily emerge the victor and land the #1 spot as a result.

Unless its bad... no flop here

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Unless its bad... no flop here
    It would take an extremely bad early reviews by both critics and audience ..

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5Eyes View Post
    Yeah. And all the early reactions from the Imax previews seem really positive, so it's looking like the movie will get good reviews as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post
    Yeah. And all the early reactions from the Imax previews seem really positive, so it's looking like the movie will get good reviews as well.
    I feel cautiously optimistic with that buzz but I am still in disbelief at how Marvel hasn't produced a major misfire yet. It's like... at some point there's going to be a critical and/or commercial flop at some point...

I would be shocked if this was a flop because from the fifteen minutes of footage I saw at the IMAX showing this past Monday, this could very well be one of the best Marvel films to date. I think it could be up there with Iron Man, Guardians, Winter Solider, Civil War, Avengers. I don't know a whole lot about Dr. Strange as I have only read about three comics with him in it and two of those were Avengers event comics. But from the trailers and from what I saw at the IMAX showing I am now a fan of the character and have started reading his comics and I am PUMPED for the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousODG View Post
    I feel cautiously optimistic with that buzz but I am still in disbelief at how Marvel hasn't produced a major misfire yet. It's like... at some point there's going to be a critical and/or commercial flop at some point...
    They have had some meh movies Iron Man 2 and Thor The Dark World and Hulk (2008) are the lowest rated movies (critic wise) but they still weren't major box office flops though.

I don't think that would really matter.

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

Reviews can hurt ..but it will take alot to take the Marvel Train at this point

Reviews can hurt ..but it will take alot to take the Marvel Train at this point
    I don't really see reviews hurting a Marvel movie at this point in the Marvel cycle. It's going to take a few movies of bad reviews and bad audience word-of-mouth before people just aren't going to Marvel movies in big enough numbers on opening weekend to really hurt them. Even if this movie got terrible reviews, I'd guess people would still be interested enough to see it because of the brand; also just to see how bad a bad Marvel movie is—after all, it's a Marvel movie, those are never, so how bad could it be?

Look at the Transformer movies. Bad reviews all. They've been making a billion bucks ever since the second movie, with the Dino one (what is that, like the fourth?) not crossing that billion dollar break. What is that, like seven years of bad years and being **** on by people? And what's the damage, only making $900 million something, not quite making a billion? That's an amount Disney wouldn't mind making on there Marvel movies. Strange isn't going to fail, it'll do Ant-Man numbers, probably a bit better given we're another year into Marvel, but it ain't making that Transformer Dinosaur money either.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Death&Return of Superman View Post
    I don't really see reviews hurting a Marvel movie at this point in the Marvel cycle. It's going to take a few movies of bad reviews and bad audience word-of-mouth before people just aren't going to Marvel movies in big enough numbers on opening weekend to really hurt them. Even if this movie got terrible reviews, I'd guess people would still be interested enough to see it because of the brand; also just to see how bad a bad Marvel movie is—after all, it's a Marvel movie, those are never, so how bad could it be?

Look at the Transformer movies. Bad reviews all. They've been making a billion bucks ever since the second movie, with the Dino one (what is that, like the fourth?) not crossing that billion dollar break. What is that, like seven years of bad years and being **** on by people? And what's the damage, only making $900 million something, not quite making a billion? That's an amount Disney wouldn't mind making on there Marvel movies. Strange isn't going to fail, it'll do Ant-Man numbers, probably a bit better given we're another year into Marvel, but it ain't making that Transformer Dinosaur money either.
    The last 2 Transformers movies (Age of Extinction and Dark of the Moon) crossed the billion dollar mark. Age of Extinction making $320 million in China alone. The 2nd TF movie did $930 million, and TF 1 $700+ million. It's the only money maker Paramount has left.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    It's an obscure character and the focus on mysticism doesn't exactly scream "fun" enough to offset the obscurity like Guardians of the Galaxy did. Instead of looking like wacky fun, it actually looks like it could be dry and boring and metaphysical, like being trapped in a room with your patchouli-scented hippie acquaintance for 90 minutes while they natter about their past lives.
    Ghostbusters was screamed "fun".

Look how that turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    The last 2 Transformers movies (Age of Extinction and Dark of the Moon) crossed the billion dollar mark. Age of Extinction making $320 million in China alone. The 2nd TF movie did $930 million, and TF 1 $700+ million. It's the only money maker Paramount has left.
    But the money they are making in US, which is still more impirtant than china, is dwindling