Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I don't see why it would be. Dr. Strange is a neat character and the movie looks good. Heck if Guardians of The Galaxy can do well so can Strange.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's possible.

This marks one of Marvel's biggest risks. Previous ones have paid off, but it doesn't mean that everything's guaranteed to be a success.

The director's reputation isn't all that great, and while the trailer looks good, we don't know how the film will be received. What's the response to a Marvel movie with a rotten tomatoes score under 70?
    Anywhere from horrible (Incredible Hulk) to average (Thor: The Dark World). The IH had some really sub-par looking CGI, IMO and...while I think it's better than Thor:TDW, it wasn't anything worth getting excited over. Looking at TDW, I can't believe how bland that movie was. The special effects are some of the best I have seen in any MCU movies, but WOW that's a bad movie. It got decent money, overall though. It kind of sucks, because TDW had all the right ingredients to be a phenomenal success, critically and box office wise.

I also realized that I didn't really answer the question. I think Marvel Studios does have an easier time being successful now, as their cinematic universe has become quite popular. I think if the movie does Ant-Man money with RT rating anywhere below 65%, I'd consider it a flop. If it does the RT score I mentioned, but does anywhere up to TDW money, I'd still consider it a flop and worth worrying about. If the movie does sub-par RT-wise, but blows up box office wise, I think MS will be consider it a success, but a conditional success. Almost akin to what people probably thought of Pixar after Cars came out. That they're capable of making really good movies, but they're not guaranteed success stories as was perceived.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's possible.

This marks one of Marvel's biggest risks. Previous ones have paid off, but it doesn't mean that everything's guaranteed to be a success.

The director's reputation isn't all that great, and while the trailer looks good, we don't know how the film will be received. What's the response to a Marvel movie with a rotten tomatoes score under 70?
    Welll, any newly introduced character is there next big risk.

I think the acting talent alone with cumberpatch, chet, and tilda, mcadams will keep the critics happy
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Posting on CBR is a bit better, only because you can't smell it through the Internet.
    Good one. Although I see the patchouli line from the John Cusack movie is still with us. Incense maybe but patchouli wasn't necessarily part of the scene. The reference still lingers however. Bad pun intended!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    I don't see why it would be. Dr. Strange is a neat character and the movie looks good. Heck if Guardians of The Galaxy can do well so can Strange.
    You got it right here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Didn't he do a stint on Dr. Who as well as Sherlock prior to this? He probably has at least as much recognition as Simon Pegg.
    Star Trek and Sherlock, nor Doctor Who.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It really depends on how you are defining flop.

BvS is considered a "flop" despite grossing 873 mil WW

Ant-Man was considered a big success grossing 519 mil WW

So... what is a flop depends on what the expectations really are.

Last non sequel from Marvel was Ant-Man, grossing 519 mil. Before that was GoG, grossing 773 mil WW.

So... is 550-600 mil a "fair" thing to expect from this movie?
    Well, WB always does have overinflated expectations for their superhero stuff, but whetehr something is a flop or a hit is more a factor of how much did it earn in relation to what did it cost to make the film rather than simply how much it made.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    It's an obscure character and the focus on mysticism doesn't exactly scream "fun" enough to offset the obscurity like Guardians of the Galaxy did. Instead of looking like wacky fun, it actually looks like it could be dry and boring and metaphysical, like being trapped in a room with your patchouli-scented hippie acquaintance for 90 minutes while they natter about their past lives.
    It looks like a big crazy action movies with lots of kaleidoscope buildings. Doesn't really seem any different tone wise than any other Marvel movie, so I'm not sure where you're get the "dry" bit.

Fantastic Member

Flop? No.

Middling to minor success? Probably.

While I doubt this is going to rewrite any of the record books I figure that Disney's marketing department is so keyed into the children's market that they're going to at least break even on this. The film isn't released until Nov. 4th and there's no major competition until Fantastic Beasts comes out on Nov. 18th which gives this at least two weekends to be #1 (Hacksaw Ridge is aiming for a decidedly different market).

Does anybody have an actual figure for the budget? The only number I've seen so far has been $165M which (if accurate) means that it'll have to net around $330M to break even.

Extraordinary Member

Strange has a Budget of $165 million. About the average for a non avenger Movie. (Gog was $170 AM was $130)

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

BC is well known and loved enough to get his fans to watch. my friend says she will watch solely because she loves BC.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    BC is well known and loved enough to get his fans to watch. my friend says she will watch solely because she loves BC.
    Yeah, there are still people that love him like Sherlock season one was yesterday.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    Flop? No.

Middling to minor success? Probably.

While I doubt this is going to rewrite any of the record books I figure that Disney's marketing department is so keyed into the children's market that they're going to at least break even on this. The film isn't released until Nov. 4th and there's no major competition until Fantastic Beasts comes out on Nov. 18th which gives this at least two weekends to be #1 (Hacksaw Ridge is aiming for a decidedly different market).

Does anybody have an actual figure for the budget? The only number I've seen so far has been $165M which (if accurate) means that it'll have to net around $330M to break even.
    If it doesn't do better than Ant-Man I'd be surprised. And Ant-Man made over $519 million.

The only way I could see a Marvel movie doing bad at the box office right now is if it was put up against some bigger juggernaut.

Mighty Member

Won't make Civil War money but it should still do okay at the b.o.

I think marvel has a good enough track record to the point where fans are willing to give any marvel movie a chance. As long as the movie doesn't suck, it should be fine.